The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 05-20-2015, 11:18 AM

As always, some great advice from the forum.

I have only been playing about one and a half years so although I can offer no great advice, I can only share my experiences.

First of all, like everyone else here, I can appreciate where your are coming from after nine months.

I say to non guitar playing friends, I can understand why so many guitars end up under a bed or in the loft.
I think without the drive you have to push through this stage (my girlfriend tells people I seem almost addicted to it) that is where they finish up.

The best advise I picked up along the way and which links in with what many have said here - set a target/ goal.

For me it was to just play some tunes and maybe for friends etc
So I focused on just getting some tunes reasonably well sorted.
Like the guys said here, really focus on getting through one tune and go from there.

I now have 5 tunes which, nerves aside, I could run through for family or friends. Including my terrible singing :-)
The sense of achievement is great.

My view is that most non guitar players will always appreciate that you are trying, plus you can do what they would love to do.

The biggest challenge now is to keep them in my mind, not to forget them and focus on the ones that need work, practice new ones and try to help me progress.

So what I have done is made a list to help
There are three columns down the page - play - sing - notes.
Each tune has a row across and I color code the play and sing columns
white for only just started,
yellow not to bad but needs work
green for okay ish . . . .
(I am not to hard on myself here to not get dis-heartened)

My 5 tunes are in green in a block at the top.

There is a block of tunes below that with some green but lots of yellow.

There is also a block of Christmas tunes - goal - Christmas 2016 :-)

Then the rest are in a block at the end plus I write tunes in here which catch my eye to consider for future.

It works for me.

Anyway, sorry to ramble but I think this forum is great and I just wanted to contribute where I can.

Steve
Old 05-29-2015, 06:04 AM

Great post Steve
Old 05-29-2015, 06:20 AM

what stood out to me is where you wrote that, "power chords hurt". i don't think they should hurt at all.

since you have 5 guitars, i'll assume setup isn't an issue. which leaves technique. maybe you are pressing too hard, or there is some other reason. i'd recommend you focus some awareness on why those hurt. in other words, as you play, give attention to any awkward or unnatural body positions, and in particular experiment with how much pressure you need to apply to cleanly fret notes.
Old 05-30-2015, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooBadJim View Post
...How long does it take?
TBJ
Your entire life....seriously.
Old 06-11-2015, 11:31 AM

HI Nailpicker

Where does the quote come from on your signature line?
Old 06-11-2015, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creamburmese View Post
HI Nailpicker

Where does the quote come from on your signature line?
Google search sez: Garth Brooks, "The Dance"

http://youtu.be/pZm7uEPJ-vI

Last edited by JosephW; 06-11-2015 at 02:59 PM. Reason: Added link
Old 06-16-2015, 09:24 AM

To the Op: Some of those songs you picked out are not really easy. And, as others said, pick one, and finish it.
But pick one that's realistic to finish.
I started doing Stairway to Heaven with my instructor some months ago. We broke it down into manageable parts, over a couple of months. I'm still not doing it as well as I'd like. But I'm keeping at it. For where I was at, it was realistic.
If Fingerstyle is what you're shooting for, get the book 101 Easy Fingerstyle Guitar Solos: http://www.amazon.com/Bays-Easy-Fing.../dp/0786657936
Some of the songs in it are drop dead easy, others, not so much. I work on a number of them daily. But when I first started it, I had trouble with almost every one. They have tab as well as notation.
Good luck
Old 06-16-2015, 09:36 AM

The only thing I would add to this is that it is not always simple to find an instructor to work with. I have tried at least 8 to no avail.

Just because a person can play guitar does not mean they can teach. I went through at least three who spent the majority of the session playing very difficult riffs just to validate to me that they could play. I dont want to know if you can play...I want to know if you can teach.

So now I am 100% Jamplay and Justin Sandercoe. Making more progress than watching somebody try to impress me with their playing.
Old 06-19-2015, 01:02 PM

I gave up on acoustic teachers way before you did! I ended up going to a bona fide music school and taking lessons from a classical teacher. What a difference! Downside is now I mostly play a classical guitar.... (but not always)!
Old 07-04-2015, 02:17 PM

First I want to thank everyone for the continuing support This is very positive form and I really appreciate the Guidance I have applied much that has been suggested here.

I'm currently using Justin Sandcore materials and have Someone who knows how to play well who helpng with the material from Justin Right now working on Neil Young's heart of gold it will be the first to complete
1996 Taylor 410
2012 Martin D15

Last edited by TooBadJim; 07-04-2015 at 05:43 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write