The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars

Old 10-19-2017, 04:02 PM
Charter Member

Default 1930s Gibson L-4 / SOLD

**SOLD**

I'm putting up for sale a lovely mid-1930s round hole Gibson L-4 that's in great playing condition. A few years back when I decided I had (HAD) to have one of these, I looked around for one that was really playable, needed no work, and was coming from someone I could trust. I bought this one from Steve Swan Guitars, and it arrived just as described—a beautiful sounding and easy playing instrument, really a blast for strumming, picking, whatever you throw at it. There’s some controversy in my house over whether I should sell the guitar: not least, my nine-year-old is pretty well convinced that this should be a part of his inheritance. But I’ve gravitated toward smaller-body instruments and have my eye on a few 00s. If you’re interested in this and have something along those lines—particularly in the L-00 department, like a Waterloo WL-14—I’d be happy to talk about a trade.

Now for some info. Steve Swan’s original description (you can still find the guitar on his site) gives most of the important details:

“This especially fine sounding example of Gibson’s round soundhole L-4 arch top dates from early 1934 (91461) has had a few small repairs and an upgrade TKL hardshell case. Fine grain Adirondack spruce top, Maple back and sides, Healthy turtle-oid elevated finger rest, Bound fingerboard, Brazilian rosewood fingerboard inlay, Dots fingerboard inlay, Pearl script “Gibson” logo*and pearl diamond headstock inlays, 1 3/4″ nut width, Ebony adjustable bridge, Nickel plated tailpiece, Original endpin, Replacement Waverly single unit tuners with ivoroid buttons. REPAIRS include: Replacement bridge top (original in case pocket), Strap button in treble side of neck heel, Glued hairline neck heel crack, recent refret by Alan Perlman. With new-ish TKL hardshell arch top case.”

A few notes regarding what has happened while I’ve had the guitar, for better and worse:
-I had a new bone nut made (the other one is included)
-The original top of the bridge, mentioned by Steve, was indeed included in the sale, but—it pains and embarrasses me to admit—was subsequently misplaced
-The “new-ish” TKL case was a little loose fitting, so I replaced it with a new, perfectly fitting TKL case

Just for kicks, I sent pictures and description of the guitar to Gruhn for one of those long distance evaluations. They valued it at $3000, and the few comparable instruments I’ve seen around are in keeping with that. I’m asking $2000, which includes paypal fees and shipping to your door. I’ve put some pictures below, but please follow this link for even more, and let me know if there's an angle you'd like to see that isn't in this slideshow:

https://tinyurl.com/y8x7m2go

Thanks!

Last edited by rpd; 10-21-2017 at 11:14 AM.
Old 10-20-2017, 09:24 AM

Beauty.

Had an L4 archtop from that era. It was a couple of years younger than yours, and being that it had f-holes, I'm sure it was a different animal. Very nice guitar and it played like a dream. One of the few I wish I hadn't sent off to new homes.

Good luck.
Old 10-20-2017, 05:47 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for the kind words, upsidedown!

I've had a PM'd question about action and the bridge that I thought I'd bring up here. As pictured, the action at the 12th fret, low E, is around 7/64ths. (5/64ths on the treble side.) There is a little room to move the bridge further down, but not a lot. For my preferred setup--medium strings, medium action--this has worked very well. I'm guessing a neck reset at some point is probably inevitable, sooner for someone who needs low action.

Last edited by rpd; 10-20-2017 at 06:10 PM.
Old 10-20-2017, 06:15 PM
Charter Member

Lovely....I too have convinced myself that I 'have' to have one of these. I love archtops and have always loved the look of the round hole...plus I feel there's a bit more response for the player vs the F-hole style.

Interested in a Gibson LG2 American Eagle?
Old 10-20-2017, 06:42 PM
Charter Member

Thanks, ronbo. I love the look of the round hole, too--in fact, I usually have the pickguard off so it's not at all obscured. When you put your ear to that hole after strumming a chord it's like a choir of angels in there. I'll PM you on the LG2, thanks.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars