The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 02-12-2023, 07:32 PM
Charter Member

Well it turned out pretty well. Certainly funky. But I think I like. it.

It doesn't have to be permanent.

There are many other patterns available from many companies out there. So, there are other options available to anyone interested. (ha, ha)

I did a quickie before and after recording on my cell phone with the Shure M88 microphone, and there's no real noticeable difference in tone. If anything, it's slightly more mellow now and maybe very slightly muted. I wanted the RainSong so I could plug it in in inclement weather conditions. I think I can work with this.

Last edited by Marshall; 02-12-2023 at 07:37 PM.
Old 02-12-2023, 09:43 PM
Charter Member

Mmmm, I like it.....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm

Last edited by RP; 02-13-2023 at 09:46 AM.
Old 02-13-2023, 08:23 AM
Charter Member

Thanks.

In retrospect there's another vinyl from the same company that I might have liked more. A little more natural looking.

But I'll have fun with this one for now.
Old 02-13-2023, 09:34 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
Well it turned out pretty well. Certainly funky. But I think I like. it.

It doesn't have to be permanent.

There are many other patterns available from many companies out there. So, there are other options available to anyone interested. (ha, ha)

I did a quickie before and after recording on my cell phone with the Shure M88 microphone, and there's no real noticeable difference in tone. If anything, it's slightly more mellow now and maybe very slightly muted. I wanted the RainSong so I could plug it in in inclement weather conditions. I think I can work with this.
That's crazy! You did a real nice job cutting and trimming. Though I do like your Rainsong in it's original natural look. What kind of adhesive is on the skin?
Congrats on your Rainsong Marshall.

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

My Band's Spotify page https://open.spotify.com/artist/2KKD...SVeZXf046SaPoQ
Old 02-13-2023, 10:47 AM
Charter Member

You did a fine job on the application, but I have to say those "cracks" in that vinyl don't do anything for me. Of course, you knew going into it, that some wouldn't care for it. I would expect anything added on that top is going to mute the sound to some degree.

As long as you enjoy it, that's all that matters.
Old 02-13-2023, 11:09 AM
Charter Member

The vinyl comes with a peal-and-stick backing. I don't know what the actual adhesive is. It was pretty easy to peal it off of the pickguard after covering the whole surface. I imagine it's easy enough to remove the whole thing if you don't like it or are tired of it. Yet it holds very firm. Maybe over time it will react more and be more solid.

Yeah, the "cracks" are rather unnatural looking for a guitar. But the coloration is wild and cool (for the most part). That's why I show the other pattern I might have gone with (had I seen it first). But I'm happy with this crazy colorization. I'll play out with this a few times and see how it goes over. From a distance you don't focus as much on all the cracks and pealing stuff. I like the dark to light variation, and the quilting appearance of the lighter areas.
Old 02-19-2023, 09:44 AM

Vinyl wrapping is definitely a thing... just have not heard about it in guitars but why not...? A number of the guys in my office are spending 1Ks to wrap their Teslas ..always thought it was crazy.. you already paid for the paint job on the car but they do come back really cool looking in futuristic flat colors. I saw this trend on high-end sports cars like Mclareans but like all things ... tech is trickling down.
Old 05-19-2023, 06:11 PM
Charter Member

Just an update on a boy and his Rainsong:

I had been having consternation over the 20" radius neck. It started when I capo'd up high on the 7th fret. I found some middle strings dead. Not knowing the 20" thingy, I relieved the truss rod a touch. Still a problem. Then I realized it was the 16" R capo and the 20" neck. Bought another capo. Didn't like that. went back to the original capo and just screwed it down tighter. That worked.

The action was high up high, so I tightened the truss rod to where it was when I bought it. Worked pretty well. But I set the guitar aside. And started looking at other options like a Blackbird Savoy. Ordered one but it's still months out.

So, summer is coming and I have some outdoor gigs lined up and I want something more bulletproof than my woodies. So, I pulled out the RainSong again. And decided the comfort level up high was still too high. So, once again I ventured to play with the truss rod. Cranked it about a 3/8 turn tighter. (More than a quarter turn. less than a half). And the action has leveled off nicely up and down the neck, with no buzzing or strain to hold notes down. Nice !

And I had previously eased the edge of the fretboard (bass side) with an emery board and doing "thumb-overs" is pretty comfortable. I think the distance of the Low E to the edge of the fingerboard is good for me. Feels comfortable enough. Really as good as my woodies.

With the tighter truss rod, I think barre chords on the 20"R neck are acceptable. I can work with this.

I have a short outdoor music adventure tomorrow afternoon, and will have to throw the guitar in the trunk afterwards so I can see my granddaughter's dance recital. Just the kind of thing I want a good non-wood guitar for.

I'm newly optimistic this story is going to have a happy ending.

Last edited by Marshall; 05-19-2023 at 06:33 PM.
Old 05-20-2023, 10:07 PM
Charter Member

The gig went very well. The RainSong did very well. Felt comfortable enough. And the Skysonic pickup gave me a GREAT sound in the monitors.

This could work out.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber