The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-17-2015, 07:28 AM

Default Aux fx send

Does anyone know if I can use the aux fx send on my Alexis mixer to a powered speaker? There would not be any cord to the aux return. The reason for this is that the individual channels have aux fx knobs, but not individual monitor knobs. I would like two vocal channels to be able to be fed to a small powered monitor speaker, but maintain all six channels to our powered mains; which include a bass, acoustic guitar and drum machine. Though the mixer has main monitor outs left/right and a master monitor volume control, it sends the bass, drum machine and guitar to this little monitor speaker.
Old 10-17-2015, 04:04 PM
Charter Member

Well, I'm pretty sure that the fx send is a line-level signal, so you should be fine to give it a try... although I think that the fx send is for the effects only... your mixer has on-board effects, right?

I think that all you will get in that signal is the effects from the powered mixer, and not the vocals you are wanting to hear...

I'm really surprised that your mixer does not have individual level controls for each channel, thereby letting you turn off the drum machine and the bass/guitars and hear only the vocals... DO NOT use the powered output of your mixer to a powered speaker; that would not be a good thing to do... there should be a pre-amp out or a line-level output for the monitors as well as a main monitor output...

So, check out what you asked about... just have the volumes zero'd and then raise them just slightly, at first, and be ready to yank out those cords if there's weird noise happening!
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 10-19-2015, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseth View Post
Well, I'm pretty sure that the fx send is a line-level signal, so you should be fine to give it a try... although I think that the fx send is for the effects only... your mixer has on-board effects, right?

I think that all you will get in that signal is the effects from the powered mixer, and not the vocals you are wanting to hear...

I'm really surprised that your mixer does not have individual level controls for each channel, thereby letting you turn off the drum machine and the bass/guitars and hear only the vocals... DO NOT use the powered output of your mixer to a powered speaker; that would not be a good thing to do... there should be a pre-amp out or a line-level output for the monitors as well as a main monitor output...

So, check out what you asked about... just have the volumes zero'd and then raise them just slightly, at first, and be ready to yank out those cords if there's weird noise happening!

My mixer is passive, the main speakers and monitor are powered. The mixer is more of a desktop/USB mixer, but it does work well for acoustic performances. It has built in effects and an aux send/return. There is only one gain and one overall volume control for each channel. But, there is a Mains Master and a Monitor Master. When I bought the mixer, I was mainly using it for home recording. Recently we've been using it for small gigs. Most of the time we can hear everything fine through the mains which are Mackie Thumps, but sometimes it would be nice to have the vocals pointing towards us from a small powered monitor. I did find a Yamaha mixer that has this ability, so I might sell this one and buy that one if the aux FX send doesn't work. I'm going to mess with it tonight, I just didn't want to damage anything.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification