The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-15-2017, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindibona1 View Post
I had to listen with both my monitors and headset to make sure I was hearing what I was hearing. And in my mind it's confirmed, the new D28 has more of a Taylor vibe than a traditional Martin vibe.

One of the key changes in the sound is the "shimmer" which typically isn't there much in the previous D28's. That shimmer is the Taylor sound trademark. So in my mind it's almost split the difference between an older D28 and Taylor 914.

Why would Martin want to make such drastic changes in its mainstay guitar, one might ask? The only answer I can think of is "The Pepsi Challenge". That Pepsi challenge caused Coca Cola to (temporarily) ditch their tried and true recipe, from which the had to quickly and suddenly reverse course.

Personally, I'd rather that Martin have decorated it differently and called it something else. But there is a reason that they still want to use the D28 designation when sonically there is so much difference between these guitars bearing the same model designation that in my mind it screams out to be called something different. Don't get me wrong, it sounds like it's a great guitar... just not a D28.
You do realize that Martin has made "drastic" changes to the D-28 before, right? If anything the updated model gets that much closer to the D-28 of the late 1930s and early 1940s by shifting the bracing back up toward the soundhole.

Not that these changes are even all that drastic. Didn't Gibson change the J-45 to a square-shoulder design back in the 70s? That's a drastic change. Or like when Gibson wanted to change the Les Paul to what we now know as the SG. That's a drastic change. Or back in the late 1970s or 80s when Ford basically turned the Mustang into a little sedan. That's a drastic change.

I think you'll find that most are in favor of the new tweaks -- and the recent standard series upgrades that have been made are enough evidence to me that the folks at Martin know what they're doing here. Can't wait to try one.
Old 07-15-2017, 05:56 PM

Hey Spoon, thank you for the post. I sure do like the sound of that new D-28. I'd love to see a A/B video with a new D-28 vs HD-28 if possible.
Old 07-15-2017, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindibona1 View Post
I had to listen with both my monitors and headset to make sure I was hearing what I was hearing. And in my mind it's confirmed, the new D28 has more of a Taylor vibe than a traditional Martin vibe.

One of the key changes in the sound is the "shimmer" which typically isn't there much in the previous D28's. That shimmer is the Taylor sound trademark. So in my mind it's almost split the difference between an older D28 and Taylor 914.

Why would Martin want to make such drastic changes in its mainstay guitar, one might ask? The only answer I can think of is "The Pepsi Challenge". That Pepsi challenge caused Coca Cola to (temporarily) ditch their tried and true recipe, from which the had to quickly and suddenly reverse course.

Personally, I'd rather that Martin have decorated it differently and called it something else. But there is a reason that they still want to use the D28 designation when sonically there is so much difference between these guitars bearing the same model designation that in my mind it screams out to be called something different. Don't get me wrong, it sounds like it's a great guitar... just not a D28.

Sounds like a Taylor? Umm no...not to me at least. Honestly I heard Martin dread all the way, just with a wider frequency range. Martin used forward shifted Bracing before and have many models with this pattern. I mean no disrespect but it's nothing new for Martin.
Old 07-15-2017, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shades of Blue View Post
Sounds like a Taylor? Umm no...not to me at least. Honestly I heard Martin dread all the way, just with a wider frequency range. Martin used forward shifted Bracing before and have many models with this pattern. I mean no disrespect but it's nothing new for Martin.
He didn't say that. He said the 2017 model sounds MORE like a Taylor than the 2016. He did not say it sounded like a Taylor.
Old 07-15-2017, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steadfastly View Post
He didn't say that. He said the 2017 model sounds MORE like a Taylor than the 2016. He did not say it sounded like a Taylor.
I get that, but to say Martin's changes are going after a Taylor vibe? Come on, all they did was move the Bracing forward (where it used to be, and how it is on a number of models). Just because a guitar got a little brighter doesn't mean Martin sat around and said "Man Pepsi sure is good, let's copy Taylor!"

I will agree there is more shimmer and bass, and I like it. And dangit I want a Pepsi now!!!
Old 07-15-2017, 09:48 PM

Great point about the manufacturers providing their best sounding examples rather than the dogs.

When I heard the comparison video, I thought the 2017 model moved in the direction of the HD-28, a fantastic direction to steer towards. I didn't hear the Tayloresque tone referred to above. However, when I listened to the Martin provided video of their 2017 model, I said, "That thing sounds like a Taylor."

Does anyone know when dealers will start receiving these? I asked a local shop and was told in the fall.

Last edited by Kerbie; 01-27-2018 at 10:45 PM. Reason: Removed masked profanity
Old 07-16-2017, 08:37 AM

thanks for the great demo - both sound great

a blind test would've been good to determine which was which...I dare say the old 28 would've garnered lots of positive responses...

keeping my old 28 - it is a classic, as the video demonstrates...

Quote:
I thought the 2017 model moved in the direction of the HD-28
absolutely - in fact that might be a knock against the new 28 - it's too boomy - here we go again - doesn't mean I won't try one!

demo the new 28 against the HD-28? ahhh
Old 07-16-2017, 09:47 AM

Alas there was no HD available. Martin no longer keeps the guitars at the factory, once they get through final inspection. They have their own acclimation and shipping center a short drive away.

It took them some doing to find a D to compare it to.

I had thought of doing a blind comparison. But since it was NAMM and lots of people knew I would be seeing the new D-28, I thought it would have been obvious what the likely ID of the guitars would be and obvious from the descriptions out there of the new D-28 which was which.

There will be dealer videos comparing the HD to the new D, and probably some comparing all three varieties, not too far down the line.
Old 07-16-2017, 09:56 AM
Charter Member

Shazamm! I can't get over how much both guitars sound like a Martin rosewood dreadnought! Seriously, I think I prefer the tone of the new 2017 Martin D-28.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 07-16-2017, 10:18 AM
Charter Member

I owned a standard D28 a few years ago. I bought it used locally, but in like new condition. I defended it often on here due to its tone. The reality was that I never bonded with it. It just sounded dull to me, no matter what strings I used. Since that time, I have tried a number of them at music stores and they still don't do it for me. When I bought my D35 I spent a good 30-45 minutes going back and forth between the D35 and the D28 next to it. The D35 just sounded so much better to my ears.

I hope the new D28 will sound better, but I can't hear much difference listening to the video on my phone. I'll have to listen later on my monitors. Better yet, maybe I can find one locally to try in a few months.
Old 07-18-2017, 09:24 PM

Well, in person is the best way of course. And I look forward to seeing others and how they compare to this prototype.

I forgot to tell people to watch the Youtube video in the HD 1080p setting for the best sound. Your PC or device my default to a lower video resolution, which has significantly lesser audio quality.
Old 07-21-2017, 02:00 PM

Thanks for doing a great job with that Spoon! I preferred the old one except the part where you got into the heavy strumming. I bought a new sunburst D28 last year after comparing it to a few others including an HD28. I still like the tone better than anything else I've played since but I do think the wider neck on my OM21 plays a little better. Now I'm in a quandary!
Old 12-13-2017, 02:28 PM

I'll stick with my 2016 D-28. Sounds great, plays great, and I like the neck way better. The more I play it the better it gets. Wanted to like the new necks on the D-18 and D-28, but no, I like my pre 2016 better. Don't know why, but my old hands hurt after playing the new neck for any prolonged length of time. YMMV.

Last edited by wrobert955; 12-13-2017 at 07:15 PM.
Old 12-13-2017, 03:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrobert955 View Post
I'll stick with my 2016 D-28. Sounds great, plays great, and I like the neck way better. The more I play it the better it gets. Wanted to like the new necks on the D-17 and D-28, but no, I like my pre 2016 better. Don't know why, but my old hands hurt after playing the new neck for any prolonged length of time. YMMV.
(2017 D-28 versus Pre-2017 D-28?) Is the neck that different, or is it the nut width / string spacing that feels so different to you?
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 12-13-2017, 03:58 PM

Thanks for the comparison video and putting the work into easily comparing the models.

The 2017 is certainly louder, primarily due to the scooped mid and louder highs and low, like a Loudness setting. The 2016 I think, is better for individual note separation and focus. With fewer harmonics and less sustain, it is a simpler sound.

Hard to say one is better than the other, just different, your choice will depend on what sound you prefer. I think flat pickers and bluegrassers will prefer the original. Too much going on with the 2017. In either case, I can see the value of the used originals going up.

I like the suggestion that they should have kept the original and put a new name to this one. D29? D28F?

The secret to life is enjoying the passage of time.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
d-28, guitar comparison, martin