The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-21-2017, 06:17 AM

It's the first thing I do to a new guitar without one.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 08-21-2017, 08:27 AM

Default right size the pilot hole

I personally do not use a strap except for banjo. But no matter where you put the strap button be sure to drill the right size pilot hole at the right depth and use a little bees wax on the threads. Otherwise you may crack the wood.

Real bees wax is the only thread lube I use. You wont find it in Home Depot but you will find it in good woodworking stores. I get mine from a beekeeper.

"If you try to play like someone else, Who will play like you". Quote from Johnny Gimble

The only musician I have to impress today is the musician I was yesterday.

No tubes, No capos, No Problems.
Old 08-21-2017, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Band Guitar View Post
I personally do not use a strap except for banjo. But no matter where you put the strap button be sure to drill the right size pilot hole at the right depth and use a little bees wax on the threads. Otherwise you may crack the wood.

Real bees wax is the only thread lube I use. You wont find it in Home Depot but you will find it in good woodworking stores. I get mine from a beekeeper.

This is great information! I'll bear this in mind! Thanks
Old 08-21-2017, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danji View Post
This is great information! I'll bear this in mind! Thanks
You can use a candle also.
Old 08-21-2017, 05:06 PM
Charter Member

I know everyone thinks I'm crazy but I put 'em in the end of the heel.

I put a thick leather washer between the heel cap and the Schaller straplocks.

I don't use anything special for the tail, and I make all my straps, but one hand tooled job that was made for me.

This position balances perfectly, and - should I ever sell my guitars the hole can be filled, with matched wood or a a pearl dot, or, easier, fit a new heel cap.

I love the straplocks, but make sure there's a little loctite on the securing nut.
Old 08-21-2017, 05:15 PM

True story. I lent my guitar to David Crosby so that he could perform a few tunes-- really nice of him, and amazing to see him pull that performance out of the air -- and his first comment from the stage was, "nice guitar, but it needs a strap button." I had refrained from installing one on my '96 Collings 0002HCE fearing that it would degrade the instrument. Now I'm convinced that playability rules. Collings posts a recommended location for strap buttons, which allows people like me to feel that they're doing it in a standard way. Lots of people do a pretty crap job with this installation -- drilling at a wrong angle, choosing a less-than-ideal spot, using a crappy button -- so be careful. My experience proved to me that I should have followed my own instincts and installed a button. Less stress on the neck, too -- no more "giant hinge" effect.
Old 08-21-2017, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fongie View Post
You can use a candle also.
Candle wax will work but I like the slight stickiness of unrefined bees wax it stays put better on the screw.

I use hundreds of wood screws when I build cabinets and every wood screw gets a rub on my bees wax block. Brass screws tend to break in hard wood bees wax prevents a lot of that.

"If you try to play like someone else, Who will play like you". Quote from Johnny Gimble

The only musician I have to impress today is the musician I was yesterday.

No tubes, No capos, No Problems.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
martin, strap button