The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 12-17-2016, 09:22 AM
Charter Member

Default Kremona Rosa Luna Flamenco Guitar

I have been considering buying a Cordoba GK Pro. New they run about $1600, blemished or used models can be found for around $1000.

Today I stumbled onto this, at a considerably lower price point:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kremona-Rosa...EAAOSwa~BYSawj

Has anyone here played a Kremona Rosa Luna Flamenco Guitar, or even better yet had a chance to compare it to the Cordoba GK Pro?

Or any other suggestions for a good cutaway flamenco blanca with good electronics?

Thank you
Old 12-17-2016, 09:52 AM

In terms of specs, the Kremona you list is much closer to a GK Studio model which sells for even less. I haven't played that model Kremona so no help on sound. The Kremona has laminated back and sides similar to the Studio. Different woods though. Both have a Presys Blend pickup system. Same neck width and scale length.

I expect you'll get a fair amount of disagreement but my experience is, in a negra to negra and blanca to blanca comparison, the solid wood GK Pros sound very close to the laminate GK Studios. As close as any two guitars are likely to sound at least. So close that I decided to go with the Studios and have both a negra and a blanca. They are decent for acoustic work and can do a good job amplified. I use them for gigging and rehearsal. For pure acoustic sound, I choose other guitars.

Kremonas seem to do OK on build quality. I haven't been overly impressed with the build details of the Studios but they have been solid for gigging.

hunter
Old 12-17-2016, 12:20 PM
Charter Member

Having owned a GK Studio blanca and two GK Pro blancas... I totally disagree about them being close interms of sound (unplugged and especially plugged in). The GK Pros outclass the laminate Studio in every category... playability, fit & finish, response, tone, electronics. Enough so, that despite frequently thinking about picking up another Studio (probably an Ltd Ziricote)... I just can't bring myself to do it though, because I know that it wouldn't get played. The electronics on the Studios compared to the Pros are garbage. I've had several nylons with the cheaper Fishman system on them and the tone and string balance was just bad. The Blend system is awesome, natural, and the gold standard amongst all the systems that I've had (including LR Baggs, K&K, Kremona, and others). All just my personal experience of course.

There's a great reason that I've owned two GK Pros and have a third one on the way... they're simply my favorite nylon strung instruments all the way up to $4K American made instruments.

Last edited by Red_Label; 12-17-2016 at 12:26 PM.
Old 12-17-2016, 01:53 PM

Like I said, disagreement. It did seem the detail work on the Pros was better but not much difference in sound. Electronics a slight improvement but that was lost in the live stage mix environment. Acoustically, I prefer my student model Navarro to the Pros and my two Studios by a wide margin. At just over 1/2 the price. When I move to other better built nylons I have, the acoustic sound margin just gets wider.

I really feel that the key to Cordoba success is they sound better than the typical big box store selection of nylon string guitars. And especially they often sound better than the typical nylon string offerings coming from traditional steel string builders. That is a good thing. But when it comes to sound there are better less cost options. Hey I still own 2 Cordoba's and owned a 3rd that failed to win me over. I enjoy the utility value they bring. I play them a lot. I am just not a big fan in absolute sound terms.

hunter
Old 12-17-2016, 04:17 PM

I owned a Cordoba GK studio Cypress. It was a really nice guitar. But I hated the electronics and eventually wanted the warmer sound that rosewood provides. I've owned my GK Pro Negra for more than a year. I haven't regretted choosing the Pro over a Studio at all.
2011 Godin Jazz model archtop
Old 12-18-2016, 01:34 PM
Charter Member

Thank you all for sharing your experiences and impressions! I greatly appreciate your responses and suggestions!

I really like my 2009 Darren Hippner Grand Concert "Santos" Blanca.

Except......

-no cutaway (I'm spoiled for cutaways)

-no pickup - and I am not about to have one installed

-no golpeador or pick guard, so I am too restrained, hard to play without golpe, that's just how I was taught to play. (My Flamenco is VERY limited and rudimentary anyway)

-a horrible wolf note - nothing but a rattling buzzing sound - on the 14th fret F# on the first string.

So if I pull the trigger on anything within the next few months I will let you know.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical