The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-08-2016, 11:33 PM

Default Trance Pickup in Martin Authentic?

I have a Martin D18A '39. I prefer Fishman Matrix pickups. They're not really an option in this guitar, though, with the glued in saddle. I'm considering the Trance Audio pickup. From what I understand, though, there's a space requirement for that pickup around the bridge plate and it's best to check the guitar's compatibility. So my question is, does anyone have experience installing one of these in a Martin D18A '39?

Disclaimer: I'm not a K&K fan, and I'm not looking for pickup recommendations necessarily. I'm really just looking for anyone with experience on this particular pickup, and hopefully this guitar.
#3 Album on the Folk DJ Charts Apr 2016
Winners of American Songwriter Magazine's 30th Anniversary Song Contest
"An incredibly promising debut" -Maverick Magazine
www.thedeephollow.com
Old 12-09-2016, 06:01 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwalk View Post
I have a Martin D18A '39. I prefer Fishman Matrix pickups. They're not really an option in this guitar, though, with the glued in saddle. I'm considering the Trance Audio pickup. From what I understand, though, there's a space requirement for that pickup around the bridge plate and it's best to check the guitar's compatibility. So my question is, does anyone have experience installing one of these in a Martin D18A '39?

Disclaimer: I'm not a K&K fan, and I'm not looking for pickup recommendations necessarily. I'm really just looking for anyone with experience on this particular pickup, and hopefully this guitar.
Maury's Music is the best place to get an answer for this!

Maury carries both Martin, and Trance, PLUS he has an installation video, so get in touch with him asap.

Here's a link to his video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=voLtqcxH5Ns

Regards,
Howard Emerson
Old 12-09-2016, 09:38 AM

If you have couple of golf tees and some cardboard you can make a rather simple template and test whether the bridge plate has enough room to accommodate the placement of the lenses. http://www.tranceaudio.com/canyouinstall.html

I recently had a Trance installed on a Martin D-35 placement sounded the best inching the lenses about 1/16" closer to the sound hole.

Recently built a template for my Martin 000-42, and found that the fit would be a bit tight, and probably require a wee bit of sanding off the corner of the treble lens.

So, the template will give you a pretty good idea if the Trance will fit.
Gibson J-50 (K&K Pure Mini)
Martin D-35 (Trance Audio M)
Gibson J-35 Vintage (Trance Audio M)
Martin 1937 D-28 Authentic "Aged"

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification