The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-06-2016, 02:27 PM

Default String Type for A Modified Gibson ES-150?

which strings are best for an ES-150, as it's basically an acoustic guitar with electric-pickups? Should you use steel electric guitar strings? Mine is modified with 2 humbuckers. I know I could just try a bunch of different strings over a period of time, but has anyone had any success or results to report with alternatives?
Old 12-07-2016, 09:07 AM
Charter Member

....double post...sigh....

Last edited by J Patrick; 12-07-2016 at 09:17 AM.
Old 12-07-2016, 09:16 AM
Charter Member

....you'll want to use electric guitar strings for the pickups to sound their best......i use medium gauge flat wounds on my ES 125....but it has the original P-90 in it.....for the record...its not really an acoustic guitar with pickups...it was designed and built as an electric guitar and getting an acoustic style tone out of dual humbuckers will be pretty difficult...of course there are no rules and as long as you can get your desired tone its all good...if you're just trying to get an acoustic feel i would advise a heavier gauge jazz set with a wound G string.....DAddario EJ 21's fit the bill...similar in gauge to their acoustic light guage sets...
Old 12-07-2016, 11:53 PM

thanks for the reply, much appreciated.

Regarding the double post - there were two different questions, wouldn't it make sense to post them differently? It was already hard to get people to reply as it was, I'd think combining things would have made that even less likely no? It certainly would have been harder to title, unless just doing an ambiguous title is best for clicks... yet risks missing someone with that specific knowledge because that be relaying on there curiosity to open the link.

Anyway, if it's not obvious I'm new, so I'm not wanting to break protocol.

thanks again.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification