The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 09-21-2016, 02:02 PM
Charter Member

Absolutely love it Steve ... gorgeous!!!
Old 09-22-2016, 01:32 PM
Charter Member

Steve:

Wow---what a design!! I will consider that open headstock for my upcoming Falcon build. Sounds like it might make a smaller guitar feel less neck heavy.

Glad that you are keeping busy but bummer that you can't join us next week for the SBAIC.

best wishes,
Charles
Minerva 0 12 fret
Edwinson Falcon 0 cutaway, sapele/spruce
Edwinson Zephyr 00 cutaway, koa/spruce
Taylor 612-C Maple Grand Concert (1997)
Taylor 612-CE Maple Grand Concert (1999)
Old 09-22-2016, 03:44 PM
AGF Owner & Founder

That headstock is beautiful, Steve! I think it also lends itself to the open gear side-plate style tuners in the right config. My friend Matt over at Mule Reophonic makes these tuners that work with both slot head or solid.

JR
Old 09-22-2016, 06:11 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasapple View Post
Steve:

Wow---what a design!! I will consider that open headstock for my upcoming Falcon build. Sounds like it might make a smaller guitar feel less neck heavy.

Glad that you are keeping busy but bummer that you can't join us next week for the SBAIC.

best wishes,
Charles
Hi, Charles! The Omega headstock is definitely an option for the Falcon, and it may reduce the headstock weight a little. I'd be happy to make one for your upcoming Falcon!
I wish I could make it to the SBAIC, but too much going on... I will definitely try for a slot at the next one. I really miss those California guitar shows, since the Healdsburg events folded tent!
Old 09-22-2016, 06:14 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.R. Rogers View Post
That headstock is beautiful, Steve! I think it also lends itself to the open gear side-plate style tuners in the right config. My friend Matt over at Mule Reophonic makes these tuners that work with both slot head or solid.

JR
Hi, J.R.! The Omega headstock will work with three-on-a-plate tuners with the industry standard spacing of 1 3/8" OC string posts. I like the look of those tuners- thanks for the link! They have a certain vintage/steampunk aura about them. I'll definitely look into this!
Old 09-22-2016, 06:15 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Wren View Post
Absolutely love it Steve ... gorgeous!!!
Thank you, David! You really made my day. It's not often I get a thumbs-up from a modern legend such as yourself! Much gratitude!
Old 09-24-2016, 03:58 PM
Charter Member

I can't help myself from coming back again and again to rest my eyes on this unique creation--
Old 09-26-2016, 07:26 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by theEdwinson View Post
Hey, Jim, I hope you are well, and still enjoying your Consort 000 guitar!
Actually, the guitar building classes are still a ways out... But a journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step. This move is a big step, but not all the way there yet. But it will be a great opportunity to design and co-create the curriculum for a comprehensive guitar making course. Definitely part of the plan. Stay tuned!
I'll be down on the Gulf Coast- so maybe next time you head down to Florida for some fishing action, we can meet up, and hook up with some big ones!
Hey Steve...

if you're moving down here to the Gulf Coast, that means you'll be closer to me...
I'd love for you to come visit my shop and give me some pointers when you get down here

‘17 Two Hands Guitar Co.
0000/Auditorium, Sitka/Indonesian RW

‘93 Taylor 712 (I spent 20 years trying to convince the owner to sell me this guitar)

‘95 Taylor Limited Edition GAWS (I traded my Gibson J-200 for this guitar in ‘95)

TWO HANDS GUITARS
Old 09-29-2016, 05:20 PM

Three words :

I love it!
Old 09-30-2016, 07:09 AM
AGF Sponsor

Steve,

Nice design work! I really like the open headstock and the tight waist on the body. Very handsome.

Mark

“Let me make the songs of a nation, and I care not who makes its laws.”. Andrew Fletcher
Old 09-30-2016, 09:52 AM

Holy Headstock Batman...

That's beautiful & so unique. Stunning craftsmanship...!
Old 09-30-2016, 12:35 PM
AGF Sponsor

I really appreciate all the kind comments, some by people I know and respect as some of Lutherie's modern legends- Hi, Mark! Hi, David! And everybody else too. You guys really make my day.

The guitar featured in this thread is quietly hanging in an out-of-the-way spot, as the lacquer cures. My good friend/colleague Joel (aka "Wood Knot) will be coming up to B'ham sometime in October for our annual autumn crappie fishing expedition on Indian Valley Lake, and I've decided to do the final buffing/assembly/set-up on this guitar during the week he's here to participate.

No matter how many times you've done it, bringing a new build across home plate, and putting those first strings on, is always an exciting time. It never gets old.
I want to show Joel how I go about setting up a new instrument, getting it fully dialed in; then I will hand it to him so he can play that first, big fat G chord on it. Hopefully, I will be able to record some video takes of Joel, and our other fishing buddy, Cliff (also a talented player) taking this baby for a test drive. Maybe I'll even take a turn! I'm eager to try it out, tuned down to C.

I have been really gratified by the response to the new Omega open headstock design. And since I first posted this thread, I've got five firm orders for the Eclipse model guitar. (Some of those are people already in the queue; a couple are brand new sign-ups.) I think this is all going to work out pretty well...
More photos soon... Thanks for looking!
Old 10-03-2016, 12:39 PM
AGF Sponsor

Good things take time. I'm always trying to refine my process for getting the best possible results with a nitrocellulose lacquer finish. It's a lot of work. After all the coats have been sprayed on and leveled, there are multiple stages of wet-sanding. I use 3M Imperial wet or dry sanding sheets, which are marketed as auto body finishing papers. Nothing else I've ever found comes close to the quality of 3M Imperial. It's expensive, but worth it!

I level-sand with 400 and 600 grit; then wait a few days and go back in with 800 and 1000 grit; then, a week later, I go to 1200 and 1500 grits, and if needed, up to 2000 grit. After about a month of cure time, it's finally ready for the final buffing at the wheel, and hand-rubbing with Meguiar's polishing compounds, hopefully resulting in a flawless, mirror-gloss.

The real peril is sanding through the lacquer. Bevels, binding edges, and headstocks are particularly prone to over-zealous sanding. If that happens, you have to spray a mix of retarder and thinner on the bald spot, and then spray on a new build of lacquer coats. And then you re-set the clock for cure time.
That's why I do the sanding in stages like this. If there's going to be a problem, better to deal with it sooner, rather than later.
Good lighting in the work area is absolutely essential. My 58-year-old eyes need all the help they can get!
Right now, I'm about halfway through the wet-sanding process. So far, so good!

Old 10-03-2016, 04:02 PM

Looks pretty darned good so far, perfect!
Old 10-11-2016, 10:38 PM
Charter Member

Steve: Do you use a sanding block with a radius or is it all feel from lots of practice? Do you count strokes? Do you appeal to whatever gods there be for good luck when you begin and hold your breath when getting close to the end? On all of the furniture I built through the years I don't think I ever went beyond 280 grit. Sure looks good!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop