The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 03-09-2016, 06:30 AM

Yep, a great day last Sunday with a fantastic assortment of truly great instruments. It provided an interesting and unique opportunity to compare Jonny's new Sobell Steinbeck model with my Martin Simpson Signature guitar, which has really opened up beautifully. I thought the Steinbeck sounded wonderful for such a new instrument - he's a very lucky boy !

Cheers,

Ian
Old 03-09-2016, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnymosco View Post
I'm sure others will tell you more.
I was seriously impressed by this guitar. Sobells are the ultimate in separation and clarity but that can mean they are often cold and steely. They are the complete antithesis to an Olson (and we had one on hand to prove that hypothesis). This is especially the case when new. Ian's MS model is now a great guitar but took a couple of years of hard playing to get there.

Well, Jonny's - while still unquestionably a Sobell - had a rather more "open" and "deep" sound than I am used to from Sobells, especially new ones (I've owned 4 of them over the years). It is still very definitely a Sobell, but it's the best I've heard from him for a new guitar. It also had the best fit and finish as well.

BTW1: I always seem to be wearing that sweater when there are guitars around; makes me look like I never change. Seriously, I do have other clothes guys!

BTW2: The relic'ed guitar bottom right is by Nigel Forster, who trained with Stefan. It's less than one-quarter of the price of any other guitar in that pic and stood up rather well I thought.

Cheers,
Steve
Old 03-10-2016, 12:16 PM

It seems that you had a good weekend and that you are going to sell all your Kostal guitars to buy the new Sobell.
Anothere question, and ineresting too. Wich one do you think is better to change for the Sobell, the Om or the Md ... Just able to keep one!
Better to stay at home!!

Congratulations having those nice guitars and friends!
Old 03-11-2016, 09:43 AM
Charter Member

"Guitar gatherings" might be my favorite kind of post, right up there with NGDs and playing videos.
Old 03-17-2016, 12:11 PM

Are you by any chance related Steve ?

Old 01-25-2017, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnymosco View Post
It's been a roller coaster of a ride regarding my recent acquisitions. One is the Sobell, the other a shed!

Sadly I had to part with my beloved Kostal MD (with Jason’s blessing) to pay for a new shed (art studio). My old Sobell has been replaced by Stefan’s new and improved MS model, he calls it the Steinbeck model, all the usual traits of a Sobell, clarity, sustain, full trebles, but with the bonus of a fuller bass range.

Today I recorded it in my newly finished studio. Headphones almost do the recording justice, but of course feeling the sound surround you is a thing of beauty.

Cheers

Jonny
Does all of Stefan guitars feature a curve center line ?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop