The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-26-2015, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsum View Post
That sounds really good Gcunplugged.

It would be great if IK made a proper pickup with an endpin jack. Although it may not happen as by looking at their business choices they seem to be more interested in IOS applications and users recently.
I'm thinking about connecting the iRig acoustic mic to the endpin jack in my guitar and make it permanent installation. I would lose the frequency adjustments made by the app calibration but I could shape the tone with a preamp EQ myself.
Please keep us updated if you try this.

I've been wondering what kind of adapter it would take to run this mic directly into a mixer, or perhaps the mic input of of a Zoom A3. I'm guessing an 1/8" TRS jack to male XLR plug, but I don't even know if the mic will require phantom power.
Old 12-26-2015, 09:02 AM
Charter Member

It looks like to me that if you want a simple, fast, and easy way to get a clean practice recording going into an iOS device, this will be a very good tool. I'm going to order one.
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)
Old 12-26-2015, 10:10 AM

OK,

As I mentioned, I just got mine yesterday, so there is more discovery to be done...

But, unless I am missing something, the free version of the recording app (Amplitube Acoustic) is extremely limited. You can record a single track per project, and can't do much with it afterwards. I would have expected after buying the device, you would get a reasonably good app to go with it, and not have to pay more.

I'm not really disappointed because it was a nice gift, but wanted to put that out there for others who might buy one.

Or am I missing something?
Gary
Old 12-28-2015, 02:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gcunplugged View Post
OK,

As I mentioned, I just got mine yesterday, so there is more discovery to be done...

But, unless I am missing something, the free version of the recording app (Amplitube Acoustic) is extremely limited. You can record a single track per project, and can't do much with it afterwards. I would have expected after buying the device, you would get a reasonably good app to go with it, and not have to pay more.

I'm not really disappointed because it was a nice gift, but wanted to put that out there for others who might buy one.

Or am I missing something?
Gary
I got this for Christmas, as well.

Yeah, the free version is indeed pretty limited. However, you can use Inter-App-Audio and record multiple tracks in Garageband, no problem. I've been messing around with it. So far it's pretty fun. I'll have to wait to try the different amps/effects, though. I'm especially interested in the 12-string stomp box.
Old 02-15-2016, 11:49 AM

Hi there. I'm new around here and I saw this thread and thought I might offer my 2 cents worth. I got iRig Acoustic in early December and done lots of playing with it since then, both live and recording. I really like it even though it is far from perfect, and has some quirks that I'm not fond of. But hey, it's good enough and I'm more than happy with it.
I uploaded 2 videos a couple of months ago, one an honest review and the other a close look at the paid for iPad app. You can find them here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rz-suOquZOU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYDCgg9LM8U

Let me know what you think.
Thanks.
Old 03-27-2016, 01:27 PM

Default Didn't fit!

This product doesn't fit on my Lowden. The Lowden has slightly thicker wood around the sound hole & this device has a very narrow, fixed gap. Hopefully they will come out with a "pro" version that is adjustable. It wouldn't fit my Peerless archtop either. It's a shame they had to make this one with a fixed width clip. At any rate, I would recommend you try this device before purchasing the app.

kev
Old 12-05-2016, 04:45 AM

Default Why not attach it to the upper half of the sound hole?

I was thinking, if the little microphone were to be attached to the upper half of the sound hole, the cable could then go upwards and to a guitar strap.

If at the 1 o'clock position, a short length of cable would go towards the end of the strap fixed to the button on the heel of the neck. Short = rigid, so could be held away by its own rigidity from the body of the guitar.

A strap-mounted wireless transmitter pouch would hold an iPhone perfectly, something like this: https://www.thomann.de/gb/thomann_wireless_holder.htm

...and from there a cable could go to wherever you want it to.
Old 12-05-2016, 05:03 AM

I wonder though - in a live scenario, how prone is the microphone to feedback?

Last edited by Jay Menon; 12-05-2016 at 05:09 AM.
Old 11-03-2020, 06:14 AM

I just saw this and wondered if it can be used as an alternative, external mic on a smartphone (iPhone SE in my case), for use in video lessons? Does it work in such a scenario or does it require the accompanying app?

Pickle: Gretsch G9240 "Alligator" wood-body resonator wearing nylguts (China, 2018?)
Toon: Eastman Cabaret JB (China, 2022)
Stanley: The Loar LH-650 (China, 2017)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification