The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Closed Thread

Old 07-13-2015, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FahroutUkes View Post
WOWZA that's a good looking guitar!!!

Thanks Fahrout - Making another one is going to be fun.

Kevin.
Old 07-18-2015, 08:39 AM

Here is my back bracing layout on the EVA UM (and JM/center sound hole version). This gives me a looser feel in the middle of the back, which lends itself to more of a 'live' back feel. But its braced very well and holds its radius very well, which is 12'. When Bruce and I talked in Memphis, he came over and plucket the strings put his hand on the back and mentioned "this is a very good example of a live back". Then we had a really good discussion about this topic. And a few others. Anyway, this is how I do my EVA backs.

Kevin.
Old 07-18-2015, 08:44 AM

and another angle of the front of the EVA UM

Kevin.
Old 07-20-2015, 10:51 AM

Hurray! I got this very next one sold - the one in this thread that I'm building. He wants a high definition Leopard and two hummingbirds in detail on his fingerboard. We're going to do a NECK DETAIL too...so this one will be decked out. Also, the NEW rosette option available on this guitar. AND, a new side sound port option. This one is going to be pretty trippy!! Haven't seen one like this before, so I'm excited to reveal it right here on the forum.

Also, I'm not positive I can get "another" EVA UM guitar ready for Arlington, so I might not have one of these with me (BUMMER). But I have this other macassar SJ delivery down there, so I'll be there regardless.

I've deflection tuned the top on this next one just today. Doing this will help the consistency of tone from top to top, and from species to species. I'm not saying spruce will sound like cedar, but I'll be able to dial in spruce or cedar to this mechanical tension (deflection) weight and range I have established. What these numbers mean, or "do" for me, is if you play a this guitar at a show, and at a later time order the guitar - it will consistently fall in the sound/sustain/bassy range as the one you played. I guess I like the "science" of this all.

I'll have pics later.

Kevin.
Old 07-20-2015, 06:37 PM

Here is the top deflection tuned and sanded to 240. I'll voice it later. This guy really loved this top/figure and was the reason he bought the guitar. It has some great figure to it. I've got more on hand like this. You can see it in previous pages in this thread.

Here is the jig I'll use to make the rosette.

I put the backer spruce in the rabbit...

Then I put glue on it and index the top with the pins...(note the awesome figure too!!)...

...then into the bag to clamp it.

More later.

Kevin.
Old 07-21-2015, 04:07 PM

Here is the rosette option. This is not an easy thing to do on this offset asymmetrical sound hole. But this one turned out great and I can't wait to do the next one.

Then I put the "doughnut" on the back side.

And here the rosette is being put in...I love that figure.

Here are some pics to show the various angles.

Love this pic too...it shows the fantastic figure.

Nice coloring and variation.

And the last thing I did on this rosette, was put this piece of wood on the bottom side of the rosette doughnut. I'll trim it back from here to open the hole back up. It will be complete then.

I think this guitar is going to turn out fantastic. This guy ordered two guitars from me and he wants them shipped next month...yikes!

Thanks for watching. Anyone interested in this guitar or others please let me know. I'd be happy to share details with you.

Kevin.
Old 07-21-2015, 04:45 PM

Looks FANTASTIC
Old 07-22-2015, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
Looks FANTASTIC
Thanks Tom B'Sox.

Kevin.
Old 07-22-2015, 06:14 AM

I'll be to these stages soon on this next UM.

Kevin.
Old 07-22-2015, 06:30 AM
AGF Sponsor

Love the rosette, Awesome work Kevin
Old 07-22-2015, 04:32 PM

Absolutely Stuning Keevin! I'm in love with this rosette!

"I strive to build my instruments with the finest Tone, Ergonomics & Aesthetics"

https://www.benjaminpaldacciguitars.com/
Old 07-22-2015, 04:59 PM
Charter Member

I too really like this rosette! I don't know if it's the shape, or the rosette pattern, but I'm reminded of a snakeskin of some sort. Very cool, Kevin!
2020 Wilborn Arum (Tunnel 14/Coco)
2021 Kinnaird Graybeard (BC Cedar/Bog Oak)
2022 Kinnaird CS Student Build (Adi/Padauk)
2023 Kinnaird FS (Italian/Koa)
Old 07-22-2015, 07:40 PM

Really nice detail in the rosette, I love your work.

Jay
Old 07-22-2015, 10:16 PM
Charter Member

Like everyone who posted, the rosette is spectacular!

When you first mentioned doing a rosette I thought quietly to myself that it would look a little funky thinking you were going with a ring around the hole... way to prove me wrong! I shall not doubt you again. I played your UM in Memphis, and it was indeed special. Looking forward to seeing more.
Old 07-23-2015, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Osthoff View Post
Love the rosette, Awesome work Kevin
John - Thank you. I appreciate the comment. Your work is spectacular too!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbenbenben View Post
Absolutely Stuning Keevin! I'm in love with this rosette!
Ben - Thank you!! This rosette is just the beginning for me. Ideas just keep springing up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemoman View Post
I too really like this rosette! I don't know if it's the shape, or the rosette pattern, but I'm reminded of a snakeskin of some sort. Very cool, Kevin!
Nemoman - Yeah, it has a different look to it. It was higher on the "difficult meter", but is well worth the extra time it takes. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBWW View Post
Really nice detail in the rosette, I love your work.

Jay
Thanks Jay. I look forward to the next time we talk. Will be soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nootis View Post
Like everyone who posted, the rosette is spectacular!

When you first mentioned doing a rosette I thought quietly to myself that it would look a little funky thinking you were going with a ring around the hole... way to prove me wrong! I shall not doubt you again. I played your UM in Memphis, and it was indeed special. Looking forward to seeing more.
Nootis - It's funny you mention that. Because, I as I thought about this, I wanted to avoid that at all costs - to the possibility of not doing one on this sound hole if that is what it was going to look like. But I had this idea in my head for some time, and this was finally the opportunity I got. Do not doubt me!! Hahaha...

Thanks for playing it in Memphis. I think it will continue to improve as I get more specimens out there to improve upon. Repeatability in a "signature sound" is survival in this business.

Thanks for commenting, everyone!!! More later.

Kevin.

Last edited by KevinLPederson; 07-23-2015 at 07:46 AM.
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop