The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 06-29-2014, 04:54 PM

It takes 8-12 weeks. You pay half using Paypal up front and the second half when you approve the photographs of the final product before they ship.
Old 06-29-2014, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spook View Post
It takes 8-12 weeks. You pay half using Paypal up front and the second half when you approve the photographs of the final product before they ship.

I really appreciate the tip! I think I'm going to try it. The one I think looks pretty much perfect is

http://yunzhimusic.en.alibaba.com/pr..._for_sale.html

... do you think that's a real nitro finish? If so, it seems like a simple, elegant design. I'm sure the hardware will need to be replaced and the frets gone over, but I'm inclined to give it a shot!
Old 06-29-2014, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David-NJ View Post
I really appreciate the tip! I think I'm going to try it. The one I think looks pretty much perfect is

http://yunzhimusic.en.alibaba.com/pr..._for_sale.html

... do you think that's a real nitro finish? If so, it seems like a simple, elegant design. I'm sure the hardware will need to be replaced and the frets gone over, but I'm inclined to give it a shot!
Actually only one of mine has required the frets worked on. The rest were pretty good. Yes.. it's a nitrocellulose finish. Not sure which formulation but it doesn't seem as brittle as what's found on Eastman guitars.

Be sure and get the details you want worked out ahead of time and write down everything as clearly as you can. Pictures are better. Though if you're picking an existing model and not modding it much you won't run into language problems. Just remember that they speak Chinese and are using translation software..

Honestly, I think you'll be amazed at how good these are. I prefer them to Eastman archtops which are similar in materials and design while costing 2-3 times as much. If you want the email addy for the sales rep let me know.

Last edited by Spook; 06-29-2014 at 07:58 PM.
Old 06-30-2014, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Actually only one of mine has required the frets worked on. The rest were pretty good. Yes.. it's a nitrocellulose finish. Not sure which formulation but it doesn't seem as brittle as what's found on Eastman guitars.

Be sure and get the details you want worked out ahead of time and write down everything as clearly as you can. Pictures are better. Though if you're picking an existing model and not modding it much you won't run into language problems. Just remember that they speak Chinese and are using translation software..

Honestly, I think you'll be amazed at how good these are. I prefer them to Eastman archtops which are similar in materials and design while costing 2-3 times as much. If you want the email addy for the sales rep let me know.

Spook, I made an inquiry and got an email from one Jennifer Fan. She seems to speak English halfway decently, or at least their translation software isn't bad.

I'm inclined to give it a shot. Yes, the Eastman archtops are almost certainly identical to these except wildly marked up and they unfortunately say "Eastman" on the headstock which may or may not be something of a joke. Worst comes to worst, I get a crummy guitar and a case, and put it on eBay for $300. It won't thrill me, of course, but it's not the absolute end of the world. Nothing great in life happens without taking risks, right?
Old 06-30-2014, 03:58 PM

Quote:
S<snip> and they unfortunately say "Eastman" on the headstock which may or may not be something of a joke. <snip>
Why would that be a joke? I think the folks at Eastman are very proud of their products, their factory, and of their highly skilled craftsmen in China. This is as it should be. They make some of the finest archtops on the market.
Old 06-30-2014, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Why would that be a joke? I think the folks at Eastman are very proud of their products, their factory, and of their highly skilled craftsmen in China. This is as it should be. They make some of the finest archtops on the market.

They are fine, I personally just think they are wildly overpriced.

Maybe I'll change my tune if I get a really crummy guitar from these Beijing guys. We'll see, and I appreciate the tip!
Old 07-01-2014, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaGull View Post
I'm surprised no one has posted/recommended this one yet - the Godin 5th Avenue - made in Canada, even!

http://www.godinguitars.com/godin5thavenuep.htm

Here's a pic:

$519 street...http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guita...coustic-guitar

Oops...I did miss the cutaway requirement...
Plus one on the Godin Kingpins. Definitely worth a look; a lot of guitar for the money and made in North America.

Debut album Time Will Tell now available on all the usual platforms
-- visit SeanLewisMusic
Old 08-09-2014, 12:48 PM

Quote:
They are fine, I personally just think they are wildly overpriced.

Maybe I'll change my tune if I get a really crummy guitar from these Beijing guys. We'll see, and I appreciate the tip!
Wow - really? Because I have played Eastmans besides Gibsons and Guilds costing much more and the Eastmans held their own - for a lot less money. My AR810 had a selling price of less than $2K. When I was auditioning it, the shop also had a Gibson L-5 Wes model of recent vintage (it was used) with, I believe a 5 or 6K asking price. The Eastman compared very favorably for less than half the price. I have a hard time calling that "overpriced."

Ken
Old 08-10-2014, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenSargent View Post
Wow - really? Because I have played Eastmans besides Gibsons and Guilds costing much more and the Eastmans held their own - for a lot less money. My AR810 had a selling price of less than $2K. When I was auditioning it, the shop also had a Gibson L-5 Wes model of recent vintage (it was used) with, I believe a 5 or 6K asking price. The Eastman compared very favorably for less than half the price. I have a hard time calling that "overpriced."

Ken
I don't know. I find that a little hard to believe. Eastman's not adding any value over Yunzhis; they just cost more. And, sorry, I'd take an L-5 Wes any day of the week over just about anything!

- Mountain Whippoorwill (Or, How Hillbilly Jim Won The Great Fiddler's Prize), Nitty Gritty Dirt Band

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops