The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 06-08-2014, 01:34 PM

I've owned several different pre-Baldwin Gretsch electrics and a few newer ones. Many of the new large-bodied Gretsches feel a bit overbuilt, but they are far more consistent (in terms of both playability and tone) than their vintage brethren. The older guitars tend to have binding and neck angle issues, and the pickups are sort of spotty as well. That being said, there is nothing like a GOOD vintage Gretsch with GOOD single-coil DeArmonds ...
Old 06-09-2014, 06:21 PM

I'm a fan of Gretsch, they can be amazing guitars. I have 6120N, while actually a semi-hollow, this one produces some great tones. I was looking for a true hollow body a few months back and tried an Epiphone Joe Pass, Guild (not sure of the model), Gretsch 5420 and an Eastman AR372CE. Out of the bunch, the Eastman felt and sounded closest to what I was looking for, while the Gretsch, though sounding good was closer to the 6120N and felt it might be a little redundant.
Gretsch 6120N
Old 06-10-2014, 09:46 AM

Location: A small island off the coast of a bigger island off the coast of a giant continent

Back in 2006 I was wandering around the Guitar Center in San Jose, CA and spotted an interesting looking Gretsch hanging in an out of the way place. I asked if I could look at it. It was marked down from a couple of grand to just $1100. I hadn't seen one like it before (in fact I've never seen another one like in the flesh since, either) and just had to have it. It was a Japanese made 6120jr2; just like an orange 6120 but sized closer to a Les Paul:

I've since come to learn (through the Gretschpages site) that it's a pretty rare guitar, even more so the version that I have with the two pickup selector switches. I LOVE this guitar. It has such a lovely tone and playability. And being such a small body it's seriously comfortable to sit (or stand) and play.
Old 06-13-2014, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by posternutbag View Post
I would love to hear opinions on Gretsch archtops, particularly the Country Gentleman. How has the quality of these guitars been over time? Is there a particular time period that is particularly prized or to be avoided? Thanks.
I can't attest to the Country Gentleman - but I have been mildly Gretsch archtop obsessed these past few years. I have a 1952 Gretsch Fleetwood. Made in Brooklyn. The archtops from this era are generally pretty good - as Gretsch was -on some level - trying to compete with Gibson and Epiphone. You can find these archtops from this era if you look hard enough and and patient with your search. They aren't crazy expensive - but the downside they can be hard to sell - as they have are pretty much under the radar for the vintage market. If you can find one - pick one up - for the money they are great guitars. They sound great (a bit fragile with weather change depending on your climate) - and they ooze vibe and reek of cool.
Old 07-09-2014, 08:02 PM

All so very true. Here's mine.

Old 07-17-2014, 04:59 PM

[IMG][/IMG]

I traded my Picking partner out of this one a few years ago.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops