The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 03-27-2014, 06:09 PM

Default Gretsch Archtops

I would love to hear opinions on Gretsch archtops, particularly the Country Gentleman. How has the quality of these guitars been over time? Is there a particular time period that is particularly prized or to be avoided? Thanks.
Old 03-28-2014, 11:50 AM
Charter Member

I've owned a couple Gretsch's...an early 70's Baldwin-era Tennessean (w/Hilotron single-coils) and a (new to me) 2005 Tennessee Rose (w/Filtertron HB's), built after the Fender acquisition. I've also played a couple of Country Gentlemen, again a late 70's Baldwin-era and a "Country Classic", after Chet pulled his endorsement, but pre-Fender, after a Gretsch re-acquired the company. In both instances I would say that the Baldwin-Era guitars were somewhat inferior in quality, but still had that Gretsch sparkle. My Tennessee Rose is actually one of the nicest Gretsches I've ever played, Fender is doing something right and it seems that QC in the Terada Japanese plant is very good, most reviews of the current Fender-era guitars are very positive...mixed reviews on the Badlwin-era and fairly positive of Pre-Fender (1989-2003) era guitars.

There are many different combinations of pickups offered in various incarnations of the CG (and the TR), depending on the era and model: Hilotrons, Supertrons, Powertrons, Filtertrons, both Gretsch made and some with stock TV Jones reproductions of these pickups...and then you have the open F-hole vs painted F-hole in various combos...a little overwhelming, to say the least. I had the Hilo's (and painted F-holes) oh so long ago and they were a little weak for my purposes, but do have that Beatles "Hard Days Night" tone, if that's what you're looking for. I knew I wanted more of the Brian Setzer-like sizzle and opted for the TR with a 25.5" scale, the ebony board, High-Sensitive Filtertrons and real F-Holes. The Filtertrons are strong with that great Gretsch twang, this model has a tone knob instead of the ubiquitous 'mud switch' tone switch, which was a feature Chet requested...(Hey, some folks like it, some modify it, the rest of us use a tone pot ) Loving this guitar more every day and it is a lot more versatile than I though it would be.

The Gretsch Pages forum is a great information source for trying to figure out all the different combinations that have been produced, and the folks over at Gretsch-Talk are a wealth of information also, and there are occasionally some really good deals on used guitars over there. I studied those sites for weeks before finally making my decision and am happy I took my time and did a lot of research. There are a lot of hollow and semi-hollow body electric guitars in the world to choose from, but once you get the Gretsch bug, nothing else will really do...they have their own thing going on, for sure. Check out The Gear Page and Reverb also if you're looking for a good used one, there have been some great deals lately...currently looking at some Electromatic Jet's to keep my Tenny Rose company, maybe throw in some TV Jones if the price is right
Old 04-09-2014, 08:31 PM

I,too, am a Gretsch fan. I honestly hope that the mainstream doesn't discover them and make them flavor of the day without really understanding, appreciating them. You know yuppie's choice kinda thing.
Old 04-10-2014, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohemian View Post
I,too, am a Gretsch fan. I honestly hope that the mainstream doesn't discover them and make them flavor of the day without really understanding, appreciating them. You know yuppie's choice kinda thing.
It may already be happening. I have seen two nouveau-hipsters carting Gretsch guitars around campus. Two, and my school isn't that big. Also, Rockabilly is starting to become popular in some circles, which may explain the phenomenon.
Old 04-10-2014, 11:48 PM
Charter Member

Yep, that happened before though...when the Stray Cats came out the price of Gretsch hollowbody guitars went up, especially for Orange 6120's. Sold my old Tennessean during that time and made enough to buy a nice Rickenbacker 4001 bass, played that for years in bands and sold it 2 years ago for another tidy sum. After a fair amount of wheelin and dealin since then, I ain't selling this one...plays so much better than the old Tennessean, prettier too
Old 04-21-2014, 12:06 PM

Ronbo, where is/are the Gretsch page forums to which you refer?

Thanks
Old 04-21-2014, 12:38 PM

http://gretschpages.com/
Old 04-21-2014, 03:58 PM

Talking

I'm waiting on my local shop bringing in the "Roots" New Yorker. I've seen them online, solid top, maple lam arch back and sides.....price point is great1
Old 04-21-2014, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronbo View Post
I've owned a couple Gretsch's...an early 70's Baldwin-era Tennessean (w/Hilotron single-coils) and a (new to me) 2005 Tennessee Rose (w/Filtertron HB's), built after the Fender acquisition. I've also played a couple of Country Gentlemen, again a late 70's Baldwin-era and a "Country Classic", after Chet pulled his endorsement, but pre-Fender, after Gretsch re-acquired the company...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronbo View Post
...when the Stray Cats came out the price of Gretsch hollowbody guitars went up, especially for orange 6120's...
I guess that makes me the old-timer around here; I've got a '64 6117 Double Annie that I bought brand-new, kept in reasonably good shape (the binding is on its way out, as with many of that era), fitted with a pair of NOS Filter'trons when the original Hi-Lo's bit the dust, and still play as the mood/situation arises. I remember well when you couldn't give a Gretsch away back in the mid/late-70's, and I'm sorry I passed up some real gems at the time - including Brian Setzer's infamous $95 6120 when it was hanging in a shop window on Manhattan's 48th Street (I literally came within inches of buying this one - chose to go after a sweet '67 Epiphone Al Caiola Custom that I got scooped on, when I went back it was gone), and a near-mint blonde '58 Eldorado acoustic archtop that some banana had retrofitted with a Melita bridge (no need to tell you what this did for the tone ). Although they've always had a hard-core following Gretsch's popularity, like Rickenbacker's, tends to ebb and flow in cycles; with the Beatles' 50th anniversary this year, I strongly suspect we're looking at one of those periodic upswings. IMO there's going to be a great deal of interest in the vintage stuff (with a resulting spike in prices), a high demand for the new ones (for those of us who work for a living and can't hack $10K for a clean original '63 "King George" Country Gent), and a general lack of availability on all but the very bottom-end and oddball (Corvette/Stump-o-Matic, Bo Diddley, Tim Armstrong, et al.) items - try to find a '62 Gent reissue, 5422 "Baby Falcon," 5420 'burst, or one of the new 5600-Series "Cats'-Eye" semi-hollows, and I think you'll see what I mean; my thoughts: while they'll probably never come down to the relative market levels of 35 years ago the current frenzy should drop off in a year or two - hang on to what you've got and enjoy it, and wait on the next downturn to make that big score...
Old 05-07-2014, 08:10 PM

My wife said I had to have a Gretsch..why didnt I have a Gretsch..George Harrison played a Gretsch..
But the few old ones I played were not too good..
Then one day in 2004 I played a Japanese made new one 120th Anniversary..Short Scale Neck..a bit over $2k
Played real good..resonated great and the pickups..
TV Jones Pickups have got to be the finest new pickups around..or at least back then they were. Just magic those pickups in this guitar.
The guitar is the only Japanese guitar I have..they have a good woodworking tradition.Was not cheap but a good example of a good Gretsch.
Old 05-08-2014, 04:51 AM

The only electric guitar I own is my White Falcon. It's all I need and it will do anything.

It does "rude" very well indeed...

Luthier Stories
YouTube
iTunes
Instagram

Guitars by Jason Kostal, Strings by Elixir, Gefell Mics and a nail buffer.
Old 05-08-2014, 08:53 AM

I've spent a lot of time drooling over Gretsches and owned a modded G5120. Nice guitars. I think (and I'm not alone) that the current Japanese made "Fender" Gretsches (6 series and up) are the best Gretsches that have ever been made.
Even my G5120 was great after I stuck some USA HS Filtertrons and a Compton bridge on it.
Old 05-10-2014, 06:45 AM
Guest 2143

I too have a Gretsch 5210 (2007). It is the only electric guitar I own, the only one I have kept for any length of time, and the only one that I have performed live with. I did change the pickups and the bridge. Love it.
Old 05-11-2014, 09:17 AM

Are you talking about the electrics or the acoustics (from the 1930s and 1940s)?
The electrics have always been superb instruments. Some famous Gretsch players have included Chet Atkins, George Harrison, Seven Stills and Neil Young, to name just a few. The acoustics had their fans, too. When Elmer Stromberg died and Freddie Green of the Count Basie Orchestra could no longer afford to take his Stromberg guitars on the road (since they couldn't be replaced if stolen), he began playing Gretsch acoustics with the band. Guess what? They performed admirably.
Old 05-11-2014, 12:03 PM

As the OP, I was specifically focusing on electric archtops, but this is a forum post so people should feel free to contribute in any way they think appropriate (within forum guidelines, of course).

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops