The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 02-13-2009, 01:10 PM

Default CA Cargo vs. Larrivee Parlor vs 00-15

I am looking for a couch guitar, not really a travel guitar. I am curious what you all think about the three I listed. I am looking to stay under $1k. Thanks.
Old 02-13-2009, 01:42 PM

Wow, 3 different critters there. You should be well under your budget with the 00-15, likely to be a couple 3 bills over with the Larry P, and I don't know on the cargo. Jim Holler is showing a 00-15 and the Larry on his web site (great guy-skilled craftsman), you might shoot him a e-mail to get the street price on those 2. You could rest assured they'd be set up right if you talk with him a bit too.

http://www.trinityguitars.com/steelstr/frame.htm
Kids got the others

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...?bandID=797065
Old 02-13-2009, 01:44 PM

If I remember correctly, the 00-15 has a narrow nut, which rules it out for me. The Cargo is not too differently priced from a gloss Larrivee parlor. I've owned a bunch of the Larrivees and they're nice, but I think the Cargo sounds better and definitely has the edge in durability.
Old 02-13-2009, 02:22 PM
Humanist

3 vastly different scale lengths on these guitars.

Something to consider....
100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists

Steel-string guitars by Rebecca Urlacher and Simon Fay
Classical guitars by Anders Sterner
Old 02-13-2009, 02:23 PM

Of those three, I would take the Larrivee Parlour because it is the only solid wood one. The 00-15 has laminated sapele sides and back, and the Cargo might be a good option if I needed a guitar to take camping or boating (it would make a good paddle in a pinch) or for playing in the rain or using at a picnic on the beach where it will get sand and surf all over it. The Cargo is all synthetic which makes it an ideal choice for a very rugged need, but not as good as the wood Larrivee or laminate and wood Martin for tone.
Member #12

Acoustics:
1995 Taylor 510
1997 Taylor Custom Shop 14 size
1998 Taylor K-65 12 string
1998 Larrivee C-10E with Mucha Lady IR/Sitka

Electrics:
1999 PRS Custom 22 Artist Package - Whale Blue/Ebony
1995 Fender Custom Shop 1960 Strat - Dakota/Maple
1997 Fender California Series Fat Strat - CAR/Maple
1968 Teisco e-110 Sunburst/Maple
Old 02-13-2009, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim View Post
Of those three, I would take the Larrivee Parlour because it is the only solid wood one. The 00-15 has laminated sapele sides and back...
Not true. The 00-15, like all other Martin 15 guitars, is of solid wood (of Mahogany or Sapele, most new ones being of Sapele).
Old 02-13-2009, 02:46 PM

I like all three of those guitars. Personal preference is for the Larrivee as you might recognize from my signature. I find the Larrivee Parlor neck and scale to be just right for me and I particularly like the sound of my spruce and maple combo. I play my parlor every day. In addition, I found a used schertler pickup and had it installed and the guitar sounds great plugged in too. If you get the opportunity to try these 3 guitars, it is worth it to see what you prefer. The Larrivees can sound a lot different depending on the woods used of course.

jeff
Flammang RS35, Flammang el35, SC 000 12 Fret ss, SC H13, SC PJ, Rockbridge 00, Eastman 810ce, Recording King RPH 03, Martin LX (on loan), Martin 0018vs (given to Godson), Lowden F388c (traded), SC OM (traded), Martin OM28v (traded), Martin 00017s (sold), Bourgeois Martin Simpson Slope D 12 fret (sold), Larrivee Parlor (traded), Larrivee L05MT (sold), Gibson LG1 (sold), Seagull Folk (traded)
Old 02-13-2009, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp1316 View Post
I am looking for a couch guitar, not really a travel guitar. I am curious what you all think about the three I listed. I am looking to stay under $1k. Thanks.
Here're my $.02 on it.

CA Cargo: I haven't tried one, but it gets rave reviews for being such a small guitar with a loud tone. But it IS a travel guitar, and its scale length is considerably shorter than the others, and you'll have to ask yourself whether you can get used to that.

Larrivee P-05: It will probably cost over a grand for a new one, so buying a used one might be the only option considering your budget. But by all other accounts it's a fine choice.

Martin 00-15: This is the largest of the three, but still very comfortable to play at home on your couch. The only possible caveat is the narrow nut width (1 11/16").

So all three have some potential pros/cons for you to consider, depending on your preferences. Good luck on the decision.
Old 02-13-2009, 04:03 PM

I've extensively A/B'd my GO Type II parlor against all three of the guitars you are considering, and IMO, my GO parlor is a much better sounding instrument and is better built.

You owe it to yourself to contact Sam Radding @ Go Guitars (San Diego, CA area) he can build you a great parlor for around $1K.

'More guitars than I need but not as many as I want.'
Old 02-13-2009, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodGuy View Post
I've extensively A/B'd my GO Type II parlor against all three of the guitars you are considering, and IMO, my GO parlor is a much better sounding instrument and is better built.

You owe it to yourself to contact Sam Radding @ Go Guitars (San Diego, CA area) he can build you a great parlor for around $1K.
Speaking of which, I can't wait for my "Legacy" from him, which is going to be similar to the Martin 00-15 in size. I'm hoping that thing is going to be a nice little cannon with overtones galore from the Honduran Rosewood.

<To the OP> But if you're going to call him, wait until he's done with my guitar. If you can't wait a few months, then those choices you mentioned will be more than okay.
Old 02-13-2009, 04:18 PM

I owned one of the original Larrivee Parlor prototypes, and now own a CA GX. I've played the Cargo, and would much prefer it over the Parlor for a couch guitar. It is shorter in scale length, but that makes it perfect for just sitting around and playing. My $0.02 worth.

But you do at least owe it to yourself to play a Cargo before you decide. Anyone who thinks Cargos are only good as canoe paddles probably hasn't played one.

Steve Christensen
Old 02-13-2009, 04:22 PM

An awfully sweet maple Larrivee Parlor just showed up on eBay.......here.

NFI.
Old 02-13-2009, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawn Jockey View Post
An awfully sweet maple Larrivee Parlor just showed up on eBay.......here.
That's indeed a sweet little instrument... if only that unsighty clear pickguars weren't present.

And it's being sold right around my neighborhood... must resist GAS... must resist GAS...
Old 02-13-2009, 05:53 PM

Default Cargo

Big thumbs up for CA Cargo - I own one an it is nice to have a guitar to leave anywhere around the house - pick it up and play anytime - leave in my hot truck - play on porch when it is snowing - totally guilt free guitar that also sounds and plays great! For me, the only thing I would have changed was not paying for electrics - it sounds fine plugged in, but the way I use it I am never near an amp - and if I am near one of my amps, I would play one of my other guitars.

2010 Simon Fay German Spruce/ EIR OM
2010 Taylor NS24ce Nylon
2006 Cordoba 55R Nylon
2008 Takamine Nylon Crossover TC135SC
1978 Takamine Nylon C128
2006 Miranda Nylon (My Motorcycle Guitar)
1973 Guild G37 Sitka/Maple
Old 02-13-2009, 06:02 PM

+1 Cargo... though I have not tried the others and just 2 or 3 parlors yrs ago..(not sure of make)
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber