The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 01-28-2009, 06:46 PM

Smile New composite acoustics in the house!

UPS man just delivered my new CA GX....

Stunning looking (black) ... beautiful curves & angles...

I didn't even have to tune it-- perfect pitch.... the intonation is fantastic-- beautiful clear notes all the way up the neck... seems to have plenty of volume

One question: I measured the neck at the nut-- 1 3/4, but the neck feels a little thicker than what I'm used to (I'm used to Taylors)... is it my imagination or are the necks a little tougher to navigate???

Gotta go play some more...

Pete

"Where the Spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art."
Leonardo da Vinci
Old 01-28-2009, 06:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by prusaw View Post
One question: I measured the neck at the nut-- 1 3/4, but the neck feels a little thicker than what I'm used to (I'm used to Taylors)... is it my imagination or are the necks a little tougher to navigate???
I had the same reaction when my GX arrived back in October. Seemed to get a little fatter or something around the 5th fret. Sort of put me off at first but after playing it a while I don't notice it any more -- and I really, really like the guitar. Also took the action down considerably from the factory set-up and that helped a lot too.

Congrat & enjoy!
Old 01-28-2009, 06:57 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Funny, I find that the neck of my Cargo and GXi don't feel all that dissimilar from my Taylor 814c.
Old 01-28-2009, 08:19 PM

Pete,
Congrats! You've got a great guitar. I got my CA 7M-CE (GX with a high-gloss finish) last summer and it is an incredible guitar. I acclimated quickly to the neck size and body style and now, my other guitars don't feel as good. I've grown to like the neck size and playability so much that I bought a CA Cargo. If I suddenly lost all my other guitars, these two guitars would keep happy for some time. I like my other guitars (especially the Larrivee) but the tonal balance, projection and playability of my CA guitars are tops IMHO.

'03 Martin OM-28V
'04 Breedlove McKenzie Mando
'05 Seagull S12+
'06 Larrivee LV-03E
'07 Takamine TC132SC
'08 CA 7M-CE, '08 CA Cargo
SWR California Blonde II, AAD Cub
Old 01-28-2009, 08:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
Funny, I find that the neck of my Cargo and GXi don't feel all that dissimilar from my Taylor 814c.
I've wondered if there is much/any variability in the CA necks, with some being a bit fatter than others. I wouldn't expect so, but I'm not sure of the production process as it relates to the neck. But my CA's neck is noticeably different than my Taylor 424 starting around the 5th fret and higher.

I happened to be in Abingdon, VA today where there is a CA dealer. I was hoping to play another CA to see if it felt any different than mine. (So far, mine is the only CA I've played.) Sadly, they didn't have any CAs in stock. But they had a really sweet Taylor 516 that I enjoyed playing for a good long while.
Old 01-28-2009, 08:29 PM
Charter Member

Pete:

My condolences to your other guitar(s) - they will have to move over and accept that your new CA Guitar will take center stage. These guitars quickly become THE go-to guitar!

You will love it!

Tony
Old 01-28-2009, 08:44 PM

Nice..I am up to 3 CAs... can't stop playing them
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 01-28-2009, 09:01 PM

Raggamuffin,
I have played a least 12 different CA's including Cargo's, GX's, X's, GXi's and a couple of Vintage/Legacy's. The most consistent features from guitar to guitar are the feel of the neck and overall playability. While there is a difference in tone/sound (sometimes even between the exact same models), the feel of the neck and playability have been consistent.

'03 Martin OM-28V
'04 Breedlove McKenzie Mando
'05 Seagull S12+
'06 Larrivee LV-03E
'07 Takamine TC132SC
'08 CA 7M-CE, '08 CA Cargo
SWR California Blonde II, AAD Cub
Old 01-28-2009, 09:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggs2 View Post
Raggamuffin,
I have played a least 12 different CA's including Cargo's, GX's, X's, GXi's and a couple of Vintage/Legacy's. The most consistent features from guitar to guitar are the feel of the neck and overall playability. While there is a difference in tone/sound (sometimes even between the exact same models), the feel of the neck and playability have been consistent.
Thanks! I figured that must be the case. Perhaps the difference in the feel of the neck (CA vs Taylor) that some of us report has more to do with the differences in our individual hands. In any event, if I was forced to get rid of all but one of my guitars, I think the CA would be the last one standing.
Old 01-28-2009, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prusaw View Post
UPS man just delivered my new CA GX....

Stunning looking (black) ... beautiful curves & angles...

I didn't even have to tune it-- perfect pitch.... the intonation is fantastic-- beautiful clear notes all the way up the neck... seems to have plenty of volume

Gotta go play some more...

Pete
I used to play Taylors exclusively and sold a nice 814ce for my GX performer. While the neck is REAL close to the Taylor it does seem a tad wader up the neck. Funny thing is that I have NO issues anymore of pulling the high E string off the fret board if doing fast pull offs. I gotta say I don`t miss my 814 one bit. I have owned the GX for a year now and I play it mmore as I leave it out on the stand not worring about humidity and even play outside in summner months and just plain don`t worry about anything. I like the richer deeper tone I get with this over the Taylor. The Taylor was a bit more brighter and thinner sounding in the mids. this CA off mine has nice piano type bass too.
Also if ya like trying out lead licks and such high up the neck the GX is easier than even an ELECTRIC to reach the frets.

Lee
Old 01-30-2009, 12:21 AM

Just got back from rehearsing for a concert tonight... first time plugging in the CA. A couple thoughts:

Love the electronics-- curved fishman inside the sound hole with a couple of controls.

The overall sound is soooo clean-- crystal clear, pure-- intonation is fantastic.

My hand was working way to hard... I have to say I just don't like the neck at all-- I have super small hands-- I know the neck is no wider than "normal" at the nut, but I just can't reach things like on a Taylor (or my McPherson)... It's a bummer, because I like everything else about the guitar...

I'll keep trying it, but will probably look to make a trade for something like a Taylor that I can handle a little better... this guitar is virtually new (I think the guy I bought it from said he only took it to 5 rehearsals)... Anybody have a Taylor GS that they might be interested in trading??

"Where the Spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art."
Leonardo da Vinci
Old 01-30-2009, 06:35 AM

I've been itching to try a CA guitar but they don't have European distribution...yet. Maybe one day?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber