The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 07-02-2014, 02:00 PM

Default DeArmond Rhythm Chief

Just posted this question in the "Amplification" section. I recently bought an old Kay with a DeArmond Rhythm Chief. I know next to nothing about amps or pickups. I do own a Fishman Loudbox Performer and a Taylor guitar with Fishman Matrix Infinity. That's it. Plug in and play. This DeArmond is cosmetically in pristine condition and all the knobs work smoothly. However, when I hook it up to the Loudbox, I get nothing. Is there some obvious thing that I am not aware of. Incompatibility etc. I know this is a 50-60 year old pickup and much has changed since then. Any info would be appreciated.
Old 07-02-2014, 06:48 PM

Did you check the wiring and not just the movement of the knobs? I'm not familiar with the Loudbox, but I can't imagine it would be incompatible with that pickup. Considering the value of the Rhythm Chief, it would be worth having it checked out by a technician.
Brad
Guild F212: 1964 (Hoboken), Guild Mark V: 1975 (Westerly), Guild Artist Award: 1975 (Westerly), Guild F50: 1976 (Westerly), Guild F512: 2010 (New Hartford), Pawless Mesquite Special: 2012, 90s Epi HR Custom (Samick), 2014 Guild OOO 12-fret Orpheum (New Hartford), 2013 12 fret Orpheum Dread (New Hartford), Guild BT258E, 8 string baritone, 1994 Guild D55, Westerly, 2023 Cordoba GK Negra Pro.
Old 07-02-2014, 10:18 PM

You might try taking a little fine sandpaper and "cleaning" the inside of the jack. Use fine grade paper meant for sanding metal - such as either aluminum oxide sandpaper or silicon carbide sandpaper.

There are, of course, many other things that may be causing the problem. This is one easy solution to try, however, and it has worked for me in the past. Hope this is helpful to you!
Old 07-03-2014, 08:26 AM

If all the plugs fit, it should be completely compatible with any modern amp.

If it's not working, it's valuable enough to repair. Lot's of folks would love to have one of those PUs. They sound great.

Circle 'Round the Sun
Old 07-03-2014, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archtop Guy View Post
...Lots of folks would love to have one of those PUs. They sound great...
Guild reissued the "Redhead" version as OEM on their A-150 and Artist Award archtops before the sale to Cordoba - sorry they didn't make them available as an accessory, and I doubt that's going to happen now...
Old 08-26-2014, 09:13 AM

I have the "Guitar Mike" - essentially the same D'Armond monkey stick as the Rhythm Chief but about $300 less on the used market. Both are simply single-coil magnetic pickups with a volume/tone circuit (no active preamp).

If you are plugging into a low impedance input that could cause a huge volume drop...but if you get nothing at all have the pickup checked out. I've found it very common for one wire to break loose inside the control module (the hot wire from the pickup) because that wire can move around.

It's a 10 minute repair if that's the issue.

Have you tested it straight into an amp? If that test still gives zero volume then likely issues are the wire I mentioned, a bad rhythm switch (standard electronics store part), bad pot or wire broken off a pot tab, a winding lead that's popped off and is not connected (hard to see, easy to fix) or (worst case scenario) a broken pickup winding. If it needs a rewind I'd contact Jason Lollar first - he understands vintage and oddball pickups and is the only one I have do my vintage console steel pickups.

It sounds like you have no electronics experience - if so, don't try to open/repair it yourself. But if you do check the direct sound first; if that doesn't work take a look inside the control box - you may be able to save yourself $50-100 or so!
Old 08-26-2014, 06:30 PM

I have been using Dearmond 210s and Monkey on a Stick pickups since the 1960s. I am guessing you got a wire needing to be re-soldered. Unless you are talking about something like a Kay Television, if you have the model 1000 or 1100 pickup and get it working it may be worth more than the guitar.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops