The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 08-22-2014, 08:55 AM
Charter Member

Default 1958 Gretsch New Yorker

Can anyone provide some input on a vintage Gretsch New Yorker? I've been looking for an affordable first archtop, and I found one of these in great shape that happens to also be my birth year! I'm considering plunging forward; however, this is new territory for me, so any input would be welcome...thanks!

-Dale

P.S. - Mr. DeRosa, I sent you a PM

Martin 000-28EC
'71 Harmony Buck Owens American
Epiphone Inspired by Gibson J-45
Gold Tone PBR-D Paul Beard Signature Model resonator

"Lean your body forward slightly to support the guitar against your chest, for the poetry of the music should resound in your heart."
-Andrés Segovia
Old 08-22-2014, 09:17 AM

They do have a solid spruce top which is a +,laminate maple back and sides,I guess for a starter archtop it may be a good choice.My first archtop was a 1940`s Epiphone "Triumph"....Then a Heritage,sold,now I own a Campellone "Deluxe" all accoustic..Goal is a 1920`s L5..
Old 08-22-2014, 04:10 PM

The only solid-top New Yorkers were the very few that might have been made with leftover carved tops from the Synchromatic era (in 50+ years of playing I've yet to encounter one); regular-production versions would have been laminated (as were all of Gretsch's post-1953 low-end and midrange acoustic archtops), especially after 1958 when the line was drastically downsized and consolidated into three models (New Yorker 16" non-cut, Corsair 16" cutaway, and Eldorado 17"/18" - the sole carved-top in the line, built on a strict custom-order basis with 60-90 day delivery). Here's a typical example:

http://www.retrofret.com/products.asp?ProductID=5484

FWIW they can be fine-sounding guitars, if you get a good one - the usual Gretsch caveats apply (bad neck joints, binding/pickguard rot) in addition to the lack of an adjustable truss rod - but with solid-top reissues going for $500 I personally wouldn't go out of my way to seek one out...

Last edited by Steve DeRosa; 08-22-2014 at 04:16 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops