The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 08-12-2014, 10:08 PM

Default My Yunzhi project

In late May, mostly to see what would happen, I ordered one of those Yunzhi jazz archtops. I spent a dog's age trying to get the spec exactly right. It's going to be a 17" cutaway with a carved spruce top and maple b/s. They call their violin-like color "archaized" and I liked that so I ordered it.

I specified nitrocellulose lacquer (gloss on body & face of h.s.; satin on neck), 1.75 nut, etc. And I ordered it with no electricals whatsoever (since they apparently excellent woodwork but horrific electricals). Even ordered a custom inlay on the headstock. And I mailed them an extra set of Waverly tuners I had so they wouldn't have to resort to cheapo Chinese tuners.

I just received a note from them that I will have pics of it in 48 hours! Kind of excited. Who knows what I'll get. But this will have been a fun adventure. The lady who's my point of contact there doesn't speak English well, but is courteous and seemingly careful. She has been responsive to every question both before and after sending the deposit.

I'll post the pics they send me, and then (assuming I actually get it!) I'll post pics of the actual guitar.

- Mountain Whippoorwill (Or, How Hillbilly Jim Won The Great Fiddler's Prize), Nitty Gritty Dirt Band
Old 08-13-2014, 08:21 AM
Charter Member

Interested in seeing your review when you get it. I've seen a number of reviews of Yunzhi's and have been considering taking the plunge myself. I had a beautiful Eastman archtop that I sold and am missing having one and would like to have one with my specs. Good luck!
Old 08-16-2014, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronbo View Post
Interested in seeing your review when you get it. I've seen a number of reviews of Yunzhi's and have been considering taking the plunge myself. I had a beautiful Eastman archtop that I sold and am missing having one and would like to have one with my specs. Good luck!

Well, apparently it's done. They sent me some pretty low-res photos of the guitar.

http://www.dotphoto.com/ViewAlbum.as...&IID=269879094

Looks pretty good to me! Seems like exactly what I ordered. I did mail them a set of good tuners and some decent strings, and they used them.

Before I approve it, does anything look out of kilter to you guys? Any advice much appreciated before I accept it and pay the balance.

I also asked for some clearer photos, but this is a start.

- Mountain Whippoorwill (Or, How Hillbilly Jim Won The Great Fiddler's Prize), Nitty Gritty Dirt Band

Last edited by good_hillbilly; 08-16-2014 at 08:30 AM.
Old 08-16-2014, 09:00 AM

Looks great to me. I would try to get it delivered as fast as possible for the real inspection: playing music!

Circle 'Round the Sun
Old 08-16-2014, 11:17 AM

Looks great - love that bubble maple neck (never seen another one, BTW); what's the body depth - kinda reminds me of an early L-5CT...
Old 08-16-2014, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
Looks great - love that bubble maple neck (never seen another one, BTW); what's the body depth - kinda reminds me of an early L-5CT...

Steve, I can't remember what the body depth is. I know I specified full scale length, 1.75" bone nut, nitro finish, 12"->16" compound neck radius, medium and highly polished frets, and a custom headstock inlay (that's my nickname), and a few other things. No electricals; I'll sort that out on this end. All in, including shipping, was $1025 + a set of tuners + a set of strings. It certainly looks like a good guitar, although I'm wondering why they only sent me these low-res images. I think it will get here in about a week so I will let you guys know how it works out!

Old 08-16-2014, 06:24 PM
Charter Member

Looks to me very similar to the early Eastman AR80x models, (very good -I have an AR805e)

Even the finish looks like what Eastman call "classic".

Enjoy you new guitar!
Old 08-17-2014, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Looks to me very similar to the early Eastman AR80x models, (very good -I have an AR805e)

Even the finish looks like what Eastman call "classic".

Enjoy you new guitar!

One thing that annoys me slightly, from these pics, is a typically Chinese detail where the headstock meets the neck. If you look from the side (the second to last pic), the binding is mitered together awkwardly where the angles meet. USA guitars have long since solved this detail: the headstock binding and the neck binding each run into, and are separated by, the nut.

It's just too much for them to re-do this, and it actually looks like a good neck, so I'll live with it. But this is the #1 indicator that you're dealing with a Chinese guitar. Even counterfeit Gibsons ("Chibsons") usually have this incorrect detail. Wonder why?

Other than that it seems acceptable. I will certainly post more pics when I actually get it.

Old 08-18-2014, 02:06 PM

Looks like a nice instrument! Play her in good health...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops