The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 07-15-2010, 06:27 AM

Default Pre-Fretted Fingerboard

I'm building a guitar from a kit but don't trust my ability to hammer in (with a consistent amount of pressure) the frets. Can someone suggest where I can buy a pre-fretted fingerboard? Thanks.
Old 07-15-2010, 10:44 AM

Friend of mine built an archtop for his son. Came out niiice. He did the woodworking and finishing but he brought it to a luthier to do the fretwork and setup.

2009 CA Cargo Raw, 2006 Collings OM-1 SS light build, 2004 Taylor 714ce, 2000 Taylor 310K, 1991 Martin HD-28, 1971 Martin 0-18, 1967 Guild F-30

2006 Ovation Legend 6756LX 12 string, 2004 Taylor 354ce 12 string, 1976 Guild G312-NT 12 string (dreadnaught shape)

1966 Martin T-15 tiple, Mele koa ukulele
Old 07-15-2010, 12:01 PM

The frets only go in so deep, and not any further. Decent pressure on the hammer blows will insure they seat properly.
There is some dressing, levelling, crowning and finishing that is required, but it's not really difficult.
I bought a plastic hammer from StewMac (all the supply places are high for those), but Bill Cory at the Kit Guitar Forum took a steel hammer and glued part of the top from a plastic butter container on it and used that for his fretting. Not much force is needed, but you need to have the f/b on a very hard surface to do the fretting. I used a brick fireplace on my first kit, and will use the cement floor in my garage for the next. Either works well.
Good luck,
Bob

Last edited by naccoachbob; 07-15-2010 at 12:22 PM.
Old 07-15-2010, 01:35 PM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

Frets should go in after the board is on the neck. Otherwise it will bow. Embrace the unknown. Its rewarding.
Old 07-15-2010, 03:03 PM

Maybe this would help: Stewmac Luthiers Digital Caliper.html.
Old 07-16-2010, 04:52 AM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by moon View Post
A digital caliper is the #1 tool of the shop! Save $25 get it from Harbor Freight. I got mine on sale for 15-20 3 years ago, never even changed the battery.
Old 07-16-2010, 06:48 AM

Thanks. Will give this a try.
Old 07-16-2010, 07:25 AM

Some folks prefer to install the frets after attaching the fretboard to the neck and some prefer to install the frets before attaching the fretboard. Both methods have their advantages and disadvantages. I prefer to install the frets before gluing the fretboard to the neck. To minimize the fretboard bowing, start at either end of the fretboard and alternate installing the frets so you finish at the center. Make sure the fretboard is on a solid surface and if possible clamp it down. This will help prevent bowing while you install the frets. After you've finished if the fretboard has bowed some you can clamp it down to a solid flat surface for a day or two. These days I prefer to use an arbor to press the frets in, I clamp the fretboard to a piece of 1 by 3 oak before I start pressing . I also wick a very small amount of LMI white glue into each fret slot before I install the fret. It lubricates the slots and seems to help hold the fret in.
Regards,
Ed
Old 07-16-2010, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhayes3 View Post
I'm building a guitar from a kit but don't trust my ability to hammer in (with a consistent amount of pressure) the frets. Can someone suggest where I can buy a pre-fretted fingerboard? Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhayes3 View Post
Thanks. Will give this a try.

It sounds to me like you've got it under control. If you want a fretted board, or would like for me to install frets in yours contact me. If you want to practice before actually installing the frets I can send you some scrap wood with fret slots cut.
Old 07-16-2010, 11:02 PM

Default to put frets in before or after gluing down fretboard

I hope I am not paraphrasing the stew mac kit instructions wrong, but this technique worked well for me. You hammer in the frets up to the 12thfret before gluing it to the fretboard. Check how much out of line the fret tangs have bent the fret board. Then you put the the base of the neck in a vise and use a board to bend the neck out of straight, the same amount but in the opposite way, neutralizing the bowing. Then you glue it together. When dry, with their 2 way truss-rod in a neutral position,the neck was true. I have not tried it yet but just read about nipping your frets to the exact size (less the tiny bit it slides outward as the angle flattens when pounded in) and doing fret end filing and dressing before you put them in.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair