The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 01-14-2009, 04:39 AM

Default Severe Neck DIVE with CA X-Performer!!!

Hello. I am a newbie to the forum and have a question/problem regarding my CA X-Performer guitar and graphite guitars in general.

It seems that the majority of reviews that you read about this guitar lather on the praise about sound, durability, size, playability, etc. How come no one ever mentions the fact that this thing is kind of a pain in the *** due to the severe, and I mean SEVERE neck dive??!! AM I the only one with this issue? I really can't stand it.

I've been looking at a Rainsong OM1000 because i've heard that the neck is lighter and doesn't dive like the CA necks do. I would appreciate any feedback on this issue and recommendations.

Thank you!!
Old 01-14-2009, 05:29 AM

Hey Doc,
Contact the dealer or manufacturer. The neck on mine is perfect and has been from the second I opened the box last year. Sounds like yours is defective somehow. This is the first I've hear of any neck issues with a CA guitar. You can also try http://www.carbonguitar.com and talk about any issues that you may have there.

Rereading your post, can you define neck dive?

ken
Old 01-14-2009, 05:37 AM
Charter Member

I have 2 CA's, and have not experienced what your speaking of. I did have that with the 3 Rainsongs I've owned, but not on either of the CA's. My advice, too, is to call them.
Slackers 1:51-52
FSM
Old 01-14-2009, 07:46 AM

Last edited by unimogbert; 03-08-2023 at 12:48 PM.
Old 01-14-2009, 08:02 AM

Are you referring to an unbalanced feeling from the neck-to-body weight ratio?

Dave
Old 01-14-2009, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcowles@comcas View Post
Are you referring to an unbalanced feeling from the neck-to-body weight ratio?

Dave
This is my understanding as well. And in my experience it is noticeable on the new CAs (but not intolerable IMO). My Emerald composites have this issue but it is more problematic -- the neck and headstock seem dense and heavy compared to the hollow, lightweight body, so the headstock dives. My best solution is to use a wide, high-friction leather strap when standing, but I can still feel the tug.

By the way, RainSong Classic series guitars do not have this problem whatsoever. They are light and balanced through and through. RainSong Advanced series guitars are closer to the new CAs in weight so they might have this issue, but it's been years since I held one.
Old 01-14-2009, 10:38 AM

If by neck dive you mean an apparently heavy headstock, my GXi does display this feature. It isn't even close to problematic. My nylon 2 1/4" guitar strap provides more than enough tension to disallow the head from dropping.
Old 01-14-2009, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzardwhiskey View Post
If by neck dive you mean an apparently heavy headstock, my GXi does display this feature. It isn't even close to problematic. My nylon 2 1/4" guitar strap provides more than enough tension to disallow the head from dropping.
I've been considering a CA guitar for awhile and am hoping this is a balance issue as opposed to a physical instability. I play classical position, sitting and with the headstock at a high position standing, and think that a heavy headstock would be a non issue for me.

"Let's lute the city", said the minstrels.

Oftentimes the only result I get from a thought experiment is a messed up lab.
Old 01-14-2009, 11:22 AM

I play a Cargo (and other guitars) , mostly standing and noticed this immediately. It might not be exactly what the OP is referring to, but on mine, the neck "dive" was fairly noticeable. (The neck wants to head for the floor)

It's obvious that there's a lot more heavy material in the neck that in the entire rest of the guitar. I think that if they'd moved the battery case down lower on the electric ones that it'd have balanced it.

Anyway: Just switching straps to something that catches your back is enough to handle it. I don't notice it anymore. Playing it on my knee (and I favor classical position but switch to the other knee at times), isn't a problem.

astrummer: I don't know how to differentiate what you asked but this sure seems like a "neck heavier than the rest" problem. The headstock itself is not big at all. If you play classical position, I don't think you'll notice it.
Old 01-14-2009, 11:40 AM

(deleted)..........

Formerly known as, "Will Kirk"

Last edited by D. Churchland; 01-14-2009 at 11:46 AM.
Old 01-14-2009, 11:45 AM

my 5M has a bit of neck dive, but so did all my other past guitars, the neck is the densest part of the body so it makes sense that it would be heavier and want to obey gravity more.

BUT, there is a way to beat the neck dive.... adjust the strap, that's it

Don't wear the guitar at your waist or ankles, wear it just below your solar plexus and tilt the headstock slightly upward, you'll play better that way too

Formerly known as, "Will Kirk"
Old 01-14-2009, 12:01 PM

Location: Not where I thought I was going, but probably where I need to be.

As others have said, "Neck dive" ?? Never heard of that.
You referring to bad neck angle, with resultant high action?
Heavy headstock??
Shy guitar that keeps trying to hide behind the drummer?
Guitar neck that likes to hang out in "dives" and get drunk?

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best."
Henry Van Dyke

"It is in the world of slow time that truth and art are found as one"
Norman Maclean,
Old 01-14-2009, 12:13 PM

Hey gang. thanks so much for all the replies!

To be more specific... when I say "neck dive", I mean that when playing the guitar standing up, I literally have to hold the guitar neck UP with my left hand, or keep my right forearm pinned on the bout of the guitar. If I don't do one or both of these things, the guitar neck literally "dives" to the floor. This is not a subtle tug of gravity, but literally, if I move my hand, the guitar neck PLUMMETS down! So there seems to be an extreme imbalance between the weight of the body of the guitar and the neck of the guitar...the neck is MUCH heavier! At least on my X-performer.

I've never played a acoustic or electric with such a "neck dive" issue. I have played other neck heavy instruments, just not nearly as pronounced as it is with this guitar.

That's why I was thinking of trying the Rainsong OM. Supposedly the necks are much lighter than the CAs. I will definitely contact CA supoort and see what's up. I am not the original owner however so my complaint may be moot.
Old 01-14-2009, 12:13 PM

As stated above, neck dive is when the neck feels heavier and/or is unbalanced with the rest of the guitar and keeps creeping towards the floor as you play. Common among some bass guitars...

My COT has no issues with this at all.
Old 01-14-2009, 05:23 PM
Anticipation Junkie

I've noticed that the headstock on my Cargo causes this a bit, less so with my GXi. However, it's never been an issue at all for me while playing, sitting or standing.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber