The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-10-2009, 05:12 PM

Well. I have only been playing guitar for almost two years so am by no means an accomplished player. However, I do have a decent ear. I put a set of Red strings on my Alvarez AD80SSB tonight. I had been given a free set where I bought my Taylor. I observed the following (YMMV):

1. They seemed very high tension as I was putting them on and tuning them up. However, once I actually started playing for an extended period of time they felt very good and the high tension and stiff aspect of the strings seemed to vanish.

2. Someone in this thread mentioned being able to hear the note separation very well with these strings. I have to agree. I do not fingerpick. I strum and play bluegrass and gospel but I could definitely tell a difference in the note separation of these strings. I felt like I was actually hearing each separate note of the chords.

3. I replaced a set of D'Addario EJ-16's with the Red strings. There was a really discernible difference in volume. They definitely seemed much louder and brighter. The EJ-16's had not been on the guitar long. I will have to see how long they last and keep the volume and brightness before they go dead. I am going to try them out tomorrow when I play in church.

4. I picked with three different thicknesses of picks. I was really impressed when IO picked with a 1.5mm JazzMando pick.

I haven't checked the price on these anywhere.

+Mark
Alvarez RD20S12
Fender Telecaster
Ibanez AG-75
Martin 000X1AE
Cort Earth 70DE

Last edited by bshpmark; 10-10-2009 at 05:19 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion