The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-01-2014, 06:19 PM

Default N(old)GD - Yamaha FG-180 Nippon Gakki (Red Label)

Hello everyone,

Like most of us, I had some time one day and decided to check out Guitar Center (Sacramento) just to mess around. Played a few things, nothing too special, although the new Breedlove Oregon Series was quite nice. But then I saw this beat up old Yamaha, tucked away in the used section. I love Yamaha guitars, and oddly enough I've never owned an FG.

Not going to lie though, this guitar had seen better days. Crazy high action, slight bow in the neck, super tight string spacing at the nut. Bet buckle rash, scraps and dents, and a small dent that cracked the side in the lower bout. But it sounded great. Loud, dry warm tone, deep bass, bright highs, kind of like a brash D-18. Not bad especially for the price! I know we can't say prices here, but it was in the double digits.

So I bought it as a project guitar.

First I took off the old strings and cleaned up the body. Cleaned and oiled the fretboard and bridge, wiping off the grit and grime on the body, and vacuuming the dust out of it. There was a lot of dust... You couldn't really read the label it was so covered in dust. I wasn't even sure it was a red label until I cleaned it up.

Then I put new strings on and adjusted the truss rod to get rid of the bow in the neck. The action was still high, so I shaved down the saddle (turns out it's bone! Because it definitely stunk when I sanded it down...) that lowered the action at the higher frets, but the action at the nut was still too high and string spacing was way to tight. To fix the nut, I measured out the dimensions of the old nut, ordered a new one that matched the size, but had wider string spacing. I bought a black tusq one, cause that just seemed to look cool. Pretty simple switch, except the old nut was glued on so I had to use a scalpel, rubbing alcohol, a screwdriver and a hammer (for tapping) to remove it without damaging anything else. And then when the new nut arrived it was for a left handed guitar... So I got out my needle files and reslotted the nut. I didn't want to take the time to return it.

Now the only thing I haven't fixed is the tuner rattling and some slight pick guard lifting. It's still got it's original Yamaha stamped open back tuners, and one or two of the pegs really rattles when played hard. Anyone know a fix for this? Or will I have to just replace them? I don't want to though cause I like the way they look. And the pickguard appeares to have shrunk over time and now a little bit lifted. Any suggestions about this?

Overall though it's a great guitar and a fun project. It's LOUD and has "character." Plus I'm a fan of Elliott Smith and he used to play one, so that's always a plus

Now for pictures:

Old 02-01-2014, 07:29 PM

Good find there! The Nippon Ghakki red label fg180 is one of the hardest to find in good condition.

Pretty sure AGF relaxed the rule on asking and telling $$$ on guitars now.

I have a few fg180s, but still looking for a cherry Nippon Ghakki FG180 red label.

They got a great "growl."
Martin HD-28, 2012-000CNylon
Taylor 310K
Taylor 214CE
Taylor 110
Larrivee D-05
FG-375S
FG-180 (5)
FG-300 (5)
FG-360
FG-350W
APX-10
FG160E
Woodsong K100,SW400
Paul Beard GRE
Many other Yamahas
(25 others- Garrison, Seagull, PRS, Squier 51, Dynamic)

BigMike sez:
I tried to be good, but there were just too many options.
Old 02-02-2014, 06:46 AM

Looked up the link for the stewmac.com pick guard adhesive sheet.

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Pickguar...ive_Sheet.html

That requires you to carefully remove it, clean it, and then reattach it.

If you need a new one, you can get one from terrapin.

http://www.terrapinguitars.com/index...terialsContent
Martin HD-28, 2012-000CNylon
Taylor 310K
Taylor 214CE
Taylor 110
Larrivee D-05
FG-375S
FG-180 (5)
FG-300 (5)
FG-360
FG-350W
APX-10
FG160E
Woodsong K100,SW400
Paul Beard GRE
Many other Yamahas
(25 others- Garrison, Seagull, PRS, Squier 51, Dynamic)

BigMike sez:
I tried to be good, but there were just too many options.
Old 02-02-2014, 07:06 AM

This brought back some good memories. The FG180 was my first decent guitar when I bought mine new in 1969 from Ivor Mairants Musicente in London. Cost me a horrible Aria 'John Pearse' dread trade-in and £20 to make up the £40.90 price!
Kept it for years until the bridge split between the pins and I swapped it for a Fender F75.
You're lucky to have got away with not having to reset the neck. That would not have been much fun!

Found a pic of the old shop; window dressing was obviously not a priority in this quaintly chaotic (mostly) jazzer's paradise. I recognise an ES 175, Harmony H75 and maybe a Guild archtop...?

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?um=1&...ed=0CFcQrQMwAA

Last edited by AndrewG; 02-02-2014 at 07:18 AM.
Old 02-02-2014, 07:08 AM

Very nicely done. Good on ya for bringing the old Yamaha back to life.
Old 02-02-2014, 09:09 AM

Default Nice!!!!!!

Good job, my PR 200 was in same condition I used a Bridge Doctor cause there is no saddle left to sand. If you find another one let me know( just thought I'd try to be first in line,ha ha..)
5120 Gretsch Electromatic
PR 200 Gibson Epi
H 1213 Harmony Archtop(1968) Sold
H12 Hondo 1981
Harmony Tenor Banjo ('60's)Sold
193? Ottomar Hausman Violin
? Fiddleno lable
194? Hohner Squeeze Box
Emperador Classical nylon
65 reissue Fender Mustang
Dean aco/elec
Ibanez TallmanT-Bucket
Sigma Martin DR-2 1993
Old 02-02-2014, 10:06 AM

Default Awesome little axes they are!

I got extremely lucky and found one in 9.5/10 condition down in FL when I still lived there. So far, I've had the frets, bridge and nut(both bone) replaced, had a JLD Bridge Doctor system installed(brought the bridge & action lower and made the soundboard surprisingly live) and purchased a set of Grover Sta-tite v97n18's that look just like the Yamaha tuners on the guitar(which are a direct copy of the tuners on the Martin D28 this guitar was an imitation of). You will have to ream the peg holes out a little and buy some larger outside diameter bushings, but the reward will be18:1 tuning machines that hold tune much better than the original 14:1 tuners. I had the strings respaced at the nut to near the edge of the fingerboard(I asked for 3mm Tele spacing, but he went further than asked, much to my pleasure). What I now own is a spectacular guitar that is very loud for it's size plays like a dream(My first guitar was a mid '70's FG75). My friend owns a D28 that he paid $2400 for and he loves my guitar and is pissed off that he didn't know about these gems. Total investment(including new hardshell case): $525

Here's a link to the tuners: http://www.allparts.com/TK-7918-001-...ys_p_4021.html
Old 02-02-2014, 02:39 PM

I have a Yamaha FG 180-1 in mint shape, bought it new in 1976.
Great sound and I still bring it out once in a while.
Enjoy your purchase.
1996 Gibson Les Paul Studio
Old 11-06-2014, 01:14 PM

Default Tuner key rattle

I also have a FG-180 Red from 1970. The B string tuner developed a rattle some years back. I used a rubber band between the B & E tuners to silence it. Not the most elegant fix but it works.

Jim

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion