The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-23-2007, 09:58 AM
Charter Member

"Your new guitar is definitely a solid top. If it appears as though there are two pieces on the top, that's because they take one section of wood, split it, and put the two together. This is to ensure uniformity/proper balance of sound, as the cellular structure of the grain is then consistent throughout"

This technique is known as book-matching, or book-matched. The best example of book-matching is the top of a Les Paul flame-top. They can also do a few tricks like rotating the 2 halves slightly to produce a V or "Chevron" pattern.

drive-south
Old 01-23-2007, 10:07 AM

drive-south, the financial cost of the instrument has nothing to do with it. It depends on what an individual gets from the guitar. A $4000 guitar may have incredible wood and inlay, and sound, but there may not be a real connection between it and the person who owns it. Yet, another guitar costing less ( or even more) can make an automatic connection, simply by its feel, appearance, and tone. I guess it has as much to do with the human as the piece of wood.

Congrats on the new AJ. They're awesome guitars. For months I've been thinking of a Dove or an HD35, but now I'm kind of leaning toward an AJ or J45.....
Old 01-23-2007, 10:34 AM

Thanks for all the comments folks! Here's a couple of pics. I was working with a dying battery so I didn't get to "pose" it very well, but here it is:

Old 01-23-2007, 10:36 AM

Verrrrrrrry Niiiiiiiice.................
Old 01-23-2007, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissouriPicker View Post
drive-south, the financial cost of the instrument has nothing to do with it. It depends on what an individual gets from the guitar. A $4000 guitar may have incredible wood and inlay, and sound, but there may not be a real connection between it and the person who owns it. Yet, another guitar costing less ( or even more) can make an automatic connection, simply by its feel, appearance, and tone. I guess it has as much to do with the human as the piece of wood.

Congrats on the new AJ. They're awesome guitars. For months I've been thinking of a Dove or an HD35, but now I'm kind of leaning toward an AJ or J45.....
Thanks...your sentiment about what the individual gets from a guitar is right on in my mind. I went in to this with the attitude that this may be the last time in my life I put down a serious amount of money on a instrument, so I need to make it count. I played several nice guitars well north of the AJs price tag, but the AJ was the one that I vibed with.
Old 01-23-2007, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinrebel View Post
It's got alot of soul.
This is a great way of summing it up. For me, it's like the AJ is almost saying "C'mon, give me a quick bass run between those chords" or "OK, now build it up...keep going...now thack that E chord! Right on!" The tone really pulls me in a lot of creative directions.
Old 01-23-2007, 11:02 AM

I got a chance several years ago to play a 1936 A.J. It was by far one of the best if not the best acoustic I had ever played. Only problem was I didnt have the 40,000.00 or so to pay for it. I do like the way the reissues play.
Into a dancer you have grown, from a seed somebody else has thrown, go on ahead and throw some seeds of your own, and somewhere between the time you arrive, and the time you go, may lie the reason you were alive, but you'll never know.

1976 Ebony Gibson Dove
2003 Schneider DS-1 Small Jumbo Brazilian / Adirondack

Ultra Sound Pro 250
Old 01-23-2007, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkhaynes View Post
played a buddy's a while ago i liked it but as far as far as bass goes there wasnt a lot to go around. it had good tone all around just not enough bass for me. cool looking guitar though!!!!
I've had a few opportunities to A/B AJs against that other American company's rosewood/spruce dreads. What I found differentiated the AJ was the presence of midrange, not the lack of bass, though I can understand how you could hear it that way. The AJs mids are clear and strong. The Martins are scooped and dark, so what you hear is mostly bass and treble. That's not better or worse, just different, but I hope that's the problem with your friend's AJ, because a good one will have plenty of bottom end.

Tim
Old 01-23-2007, 11:27 AM

Quote:
drive-south, the financial cost of the instrument has nothing to do with it.
Yep. I sold custom Thompson T1c and replaced it with my Original Jumbo. The Thompson is modest by handmade standards, but still would have a new street price of a good $1,000 more than the Gibson. But I've connected with the Gibson in a way that I never did with the Thompson. It's not about how they're made or how much they cost.

Beautiful AJ, by the way, and you're right, that top is nearly perfect. Not a trace of runout, lovely book-matching, it could nearly pass for a single sheet of spruce.

Tim
Old 01-23-2007, 02:22 PM

Looks great! How 'bout some pearl dot endpins?
Old 01-23-2007, 04:57 PM
Charter Member

I understand completely about price not being the deciding factor. I just found it ironic that someone would sell a boutique guitar and buy a Gibson.
You're preaching to the choir. I own 4 Gibson acoustics, and 5 electrics so I am definately a Gibson deciple.

I've heard lot's of people say brand X sux and brand Z is great. How you connect with the instrument means a lot more than the price or popular opinion.

drive-south
Old 01-23-2007, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim farney View Post
....What I found differentiated the AJ was the presence of midrange, not the lack of bass, though I can understand how you could hear it that way. The AJs mids are clear and strong. .....That's not better or worse, just different, but I hope that's the problem with your friend's AJ, because a good one will have plenty of bottom end.

Tim
That is an excellent observation and from what my ears have told me, spot on.
Old 01-23-2007, 07:21 PM

drive-south, I'm not preaching to a choir or anyone else. I was just answering the question you asked Aside from the time spent in making them and the typical prices, I don't see the botique guitars automatically having anything over a Gibson, Taylor, Martin, Breedlove, etc. That's just my view. Alot of folks are really into having a guitar made exactly to their specifications, and that's fine too. However, that doesn't automatically mean their guitar is better than another guitar. It's likely far more expensive, but that does not mean the wood is better, the sound is better. I've heard some mighty good sounding "machine-made" Taylors, and some world shaking Gibsons. I've also seen some beautiful botique guitars...........I'm glad your a Gibson owner. They make some awesome instruments. And you are 1000% right in regard to how we connect with an instrument. If "the" connection is really there, then it's worth far more than the price of the guitar.....Good comments.
Old 01-23-2007, 07:46 PM

Don't own a Gibson, may never own a Gibson, but I have played this model and it was the best sounding guitar in the entire store. I picked it up right after the manager re-strung it and I immediately started thinking how I could raise the money. If I didn't already have 4 acoustics, I would have begged the wife.
Great choice!

1997 Tacoma PM20
1998 Tacoma CC10
2001 Tacoma C5C
2004 Tacoma C1C
2004 Tacoma EMM30 "Forum Guitar"
Old 01-24-2007, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive-south View Post
I like the rosewood J45, except for the Grover tuners. They just don't look right on a J45.

I've seen a few Southern Jumbos with rosewood back/sides with Grover sta-tite open-back tuners. I much prefer these to the rosewood J45.

I'm interested to hear why someone is selling a Bourgeois Slope D to buy a Gibson. It seems like the Bourgeois is in a much higher class (price range) than Gibson AJ.

drive-south
That would be me. Let me see if I can come up with an automobile analogy; the Bourgeois, to me, is the BMW/Mercedes-smooth, slick, perfect but bland.
The AJ, on the other hand, is an old T-Bird, powerful, cranky, probably slightly imperfect and full of character.
...and I always wanted one.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion