The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-16-2013, 05:11 PM

0028 wrote:
" It doesn't matter if it's real or perceived, it's what makes you happy."

Well, yes and no. If you expect a new set of pins to turn your barely audible instrument into a banjo killer, you're going to be disappointed, no matter how fervent your belief. The emperor may have thought his new clothes looked fine, but that didn't make it so.

People certainly do tend to hear what they expect to hear, though, and if you paid big bucks for Fossil Dingo Dung bridge pins you've got an incentive to hear better sound.

It's also true that not every change we can measure is audible. The guitar is a complex system, with a lot going on, and some changes get masked.

Finally, depending on exactly how the resonances line up, a change that makes a big difference on one guitar might not have any noticeable effect on another, and could even change the sound of a third guitar in an entirely different way.

The bottom line, then, is that if you think you hear a difference, you might be right. You're more likely to be right if the change is a big one: plastic to bone might make an audible difference, bone to ivory probably not, anything else to Depleted Uranium and you're almost bound to notice.
Old 03-16-2013, 05:32 PM

Alan,
I'm not sure, but in a long and drawn out way, I think you agreed with me. ...Mike
Old 03-16-2013, 05:48 PM

Are you all tone deaf??????

Of cause the pins have a huge difference and unless you gladly hand ove a $100 for the latest fossilised set you are doing yourself and your guitar a great disservice.

To back up my argument I have read many posts swearing the change in pins ( along with tuners, strap pins, inlay material and fingerboard inlays) all make a huge difference in sound. ( well maybe not strap pins... But I would argue why not?)

So buy your pins and enjoy the difference.

As for me, I bought a set for the bling.... My ears are too old to hear a difference

I consider myself to be a great player;.... pity my ears and fingers disagree!!!!!!
Old 03-16-2013, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00-28 View Post
Sure the bridge pins make a difference. I won't say it's fact that there is a sonic difference, but many believe they can hear a difference. It doesn't matter if it's real or perceived, it's what makes you happy. I think on my D-12-20 the change from plastic pins to bone/abalone dot pins added a little clarity and sustain, maybe not. What is important is how much more I liked how they looked. Pins are kind of like guitar jewelry, it's fun to dress them up a bit. Make-up and high heels is going too far in my opinion but I'm sure there are those that have tried it. Here is my 00-28 with mammoth ivory/ black pearl dot pins. Don't know if it changed the sound, but they made a difference to me.

1966 D-12-20

Mike
Very nice pins.
Old 05-11-2013, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Carruth View Post
People certainly do tend to hear what they expect to hear, though, and if you paid big bucks for Fossil Dingo Dung bridge pins you've got an incentive to hear better sound.
Hey, Al - BACK OFF, man!! You're just jealous because you have no naturally occurring Fossil Dingo Dung Deposits out there in Hooterville where you live. If you did, you'd put them on all your guitars....

whm

Last edited by kscobie8; 05-28-2013 at 06:17 AM. Reason: response to spam post
Old 05-11-2013, 03:15 PM

Well I put the Tisonic titanium pins on 2 of my acoustics with great improvement. I tried them on my Goodall which has the FWI pins and they made no difference so the Goodall still has the FWI pins. Also tried them on my 68 Martin D18 with no improvement. On my Olson I think the improvement is really great but that guitar is so perfect that even something as small in the tone spectrum as pins shows up. In my thinking the better the guitar the more it effects the tone. My 2 cents worth.
Old 06-17-2013, 02:04 AM

Arrow YES, sometimes, but.......

Well.....after installing thousands, most handmade, I have to say yes, most of the time. There is a discernible change in performance, mostly in sustain, but moreover what we find is; if they're fitted correctly, they'll allow the ball of the string to lay tightly against the bridge plate more consistently, which after all, is what makes the real difference. They stay tight, are much, much more durable, and feel better to the palm.

Consider also that the pin becomes part of the overall mass of the bridge assembly. Bone adds an overall denser, more resonant mass.Theoretically they allow more even vibration through the bridge, transferring more energy to the top when compared to lightweight plastics.
[To prove this point one only needs to install a set of brass pins. The difference in mass makes a noticeable difference in the way the bridge responds, and so, follows the tone]

Our experience has shown that the nut, saddle, then pins are all important in the signal chain, in decreasing order of importance. The quality of the fretwork should also be mentioned here, as a dead fret can negate any improvement that a good fitting nut, saddle or pins make.

Remember that no part of your guitar should be overlooked when considering tone.

Having said all this, ultimately.... as so many are fond of saying....."It's what you hear and prefer that's important".
Bone Bridge Pins are not necessary for everyone or every guitar.

Last edited by Kerbie; 04-15-2022 at 07:12 AM. Reason: Removed advertising
Old 04-15-2022, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweiss View Post
I would agree.

I would not agree.
The difference in tone that the pins make depends on the guitar itself..
If yours is already fairly bright and sustains well (unmuddied/thumpy in the bottom end) - which is more likely with newer guitars - then yes, you will likely not hear that much of a difference switching to bone pins...

HOWEVER, speaking on experience with VINTAGE (1967 Gibson Country Western), I can confidently say that, even after replacing both the nut AND adj saddle with fixed bone.. I was still not able to fully open up the guitar (and rid it of it 'muddy'/lack of sustain on lower end) until I put in BONE pins.. It now loudly rings like a totally different guitar and I am immensely satisfied and glad I did this experiment, which only cost me in total $20.00 with shipping. The bridge tends to move over time, changing its alignment over the pin hole, which can I guess choke the string more. Having that more solid vibrational bone hold it down as opposed to more sound-absorbent plastic in there can make a difference.

Granted, with vintage, you will likely have to sand down the bone pins somewhat in order that they'll properly fill the pin holes, but the effort is well worth it. I used 100 grit. Something about having the string touch NOTHING but bone all the way to the tuning peg I think does make a difference. This guitar is a LOT louder and fuller now, and that's not just me reverse justifying my decision. And hell, for the cost, its a worthwhile experiment even if you don't get the full result you were after.

Created an acct just now in order to post this, bc of how glad I was to have "fixed" my issue. Cheers
Old 04-15-2022, 06:54 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintj View Post
I would ask Bob Colosi, although on his website he says the effect can vary from slightly noticeable to virtually no difference. I bought a set mostly for durability and good looks. Different strings or picks should have a much greater effect.
That's about it!

Good pins in a good bridge on a good top might have a tad more sustain/clarity.
But ... if you already have all the above ...do you need FWI bridge pins ?

Collings always supplied their guitars with ebony pins - in ebony bridges - i.e. neutral.

However, I like to see bone p[ins in ivory bridges so I change them.

I've got a couple of sets of Bob Colosi's pins too.
There is a difference, on my Collings guitars, minimal but it's there. Your audience would never know.
Old 04-17-2022, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryboss1 View Post
I have the original bridge pins on my 2011 HD28. Would different pins make a change in the sound and if so which one would you recommended for a slightly brighter sound. I have never tried changing the pins and I don't know what to expect as to how the guitar will sound. I am sure this has been asked before. Thanks
The pins will make NO difference in sound. But the hight of the pins can aid your hand and the material can make your mind belivee. Making you sound better. And aiming for a lighter sound. You shoud change to lighter strings, TUSQ nut/saddle (although it requires an all new setup), or try an new pick made of a harder material e.g. Dunlop Big Stubby 2.0mm og 3.0mm gives a brighter sound.
Old 04-17-2022, 02:28 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterD18DK View Post
The pins will make NO difference in sound. But the hight of the pins can aid your hand and the material can make your mind belivee. Making you sound better. And aiming for a lighter sound. You shoud change to lighter strings, TUSQ nut/saddle (although it requires an all new setup), or try an new pick made of a harder material e.g. Dunlop Big Stubby 2.0mm og 3.0mm gives a brighter sound.
Since he asked the question a little over 9 years ago (March 2013), hopefully he has come to his own conclusion one way or another…
Old 04-17-2022, 05:03 AM

"Fossil Dingo Dung."

My new band name. Brilliant.
Old 04-17-2022, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryboss1 View Post
I have the original bridge pins on my 2011 HD28. Would different pins make a change in the sound and if so which one would you recommended for a slightly brighter sound. I have never tried changing the pins and I don't know what to expect as to how the guitar will sound. I am sure this has been asked before. Thanks
You have a very bass heavy guitar, maybe you should consider another brighter sounding guitar if you want a brighter sound, bridge pins will not do it.

EDIT: just saw this is a very old thread :-)
Old 04-17-2022, 07:36 AM

I recently rescued an Alvarez PD85Sc that had been treated horribly.
It had a couple of broken bridge pins as well as the bracing not being in contact with the top, and a decent sized crack in the top.
I had some mis matched plastic that fit. So they went in.
They weren’t awful. But they did make for some interesting overtones.
I sat down with a file and some Ebony pins.
I worked on them till they fit nicely.
To be fair I also went from D’addario EJ11’s to D’addario NB1252BT.
The change is astounding.
YMMV.

Alvarez 5013
Alvarez MD70CE
Alvarez PD85S
Alvarez AJ60SC
Alvarez ABT610e
Alvarez-Yairi GY1
Takamine P3DC
Takamine GJ72CE-12-NAT
Godin Multiac Steel.
Journey Instruments OF660
Gibson G45
Old 04-17-2022, 10:19 AM

Quote:
To be fair I also went from D’addario EJ11’s to D’addario NB1252BT.
The change is astounding.
Hard to blame the bridgepins in this situation.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion