The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-06-2011, 09:35 PM

Default Whenever I think I'm getting good?

I go and watch something like this and want to just hang it up.
Seriously.

Is this really live? Sound produced and is filmed in what looks like a living room.

Whatcha think? This guys voice is killer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBJ2T...eature=related
Old 04-06-2011, 09:43 PM

Boyce ave. have alot of great acoustic covers on youtube. Very talented.
Old 04-06-2011, 09:45 PM
Charter Member

He does have a good voice, good song, too.

But I have to say, hearing that does not make me want to hang anything up. If I liked the song, I'd learn it and learn from them.

There's nothing in the guitar playing that is particularly hard after a little practice. Of course, not all of us have a voice that good... But you develop your strengths, whatever they are, and make the most of them.

No hanging up around here!

- Glenn
Old 04-06-2011, 10:02 PM

Yeah, I'm just not happy at all with my singing. If I knew I had potential to be a better singer I would get down and out about it. But to be born with a crap voice depresses me.

The guitar playing doesn't scare me. I'm also watching a lot of videos paying close attention to audio quality. I can't tell if this stuff is really live, or processed and produced.
Old 04-06-2011, 10:12 PM

Knuckle, just enjoy and improve upon your voice. Never hang it up. I only know 3 chords and five notes. Playing makes me happy.

Nice production/audio on the video.
Old 04-06-2011, 10:40 PM

Whenever I think I'm getting good I listen to Bob Brozman. It doesn't depress me, it makes me want to get better. Speaking of live... With no processing http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CU72MTooapQ And Knuckle, you work with what you got. How many folks can you name with "interesting" voices who have touched the lives of millions? If your voice is so good people will listen to it no matter what you sing, well then... It really doesn't matter what you sing does it And when software can make any voice sound perfect, doubly so...

Check out before the music dies on HULU. http://www.hulu.com/watch/62945/before-the-music-dies

Listen to the Boyce Avenue stuff that is really live. Like their mall tour stuff. They are a great professional band. But the initial vid in this post is processed to death. Anyone comparing themselves to it is being foolish.
Old 04-07-2011, 04:39 AM

Knuck....in all honesty, I'd sooner listen to you than Boyce Avenue.....to me they are almost saccharin sweet. I like male voices to sound like a man, with maybe the odd high note as a surprise.

Your stuff has a raw edge, especially your reso stuff....I wasn't over keen on the last vid you did with your carbon guitar, didn't seem like you, if you get me. You have a heaviness about you that I dig, don't waste time wishing you could be anyone else, when what you have is killer anyhow.

The ironic thing is that a deep, thick voice is a great starting point to build on, you already have all that resonance....train it to go higher and it will always have more body than someone with a naturally high and thin voice.
Anyone can improve their range, mine is well over doubled since I started.

Check out Jake Smith, the White Buffalo....another bass baritone;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OY_NhiEtBg

Yamaha MIJ CJX32
Avalon L32
Avalon A32 Legacy
Lowden 022
Gibson J-185
Takamine TNV360sc
Cole Clark Fat Lady 3
Old 04-07-2011, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knuckle View Post
I go and watch something like this and want to just hang it up. Seriously.
I've watched a number of his videos in the past. Very talented. Hell, I just have to go to my favorite local open mic night to see guys who make me think I should give up guitar. OTOH, there are always one or two there that make me look good!
Old 04-07-2011, 06:39 AM

Boyce Avenue is fantastic, you need to be more realistic about what you do, your performances are fine but these guys have been doing this awhile and it's all they do................when you start comparing yourself to the pros you are going to be disappointed more often than not.....
Old 04-07-2011, 07:00 AM

Well, I myself want to be that good. Not to tour the world and quit my wonderful IT job which I love so much *NOT*

But the problem is the voice. Guitar isn't hard really. It's just a matter of who sits there long enough , maybe a little talent helps. I'd like to say I got some talent with the guitar playing, but my voice is terrible. When I hear myself sing and I hear guys like this sing, it depresses me.

I have to choose covers of guys with low voices and it's very limiting. There's stuff I want to play but just can't sing high enough.
Old 04-07-2011, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Well, I myself want to be that good. Not to tour the world and quit my wonderful IT job which I love so much *NOT*

But the problem is the voice. Guitar isn't hard really. It's just a matter of who sits there long enough , maybe a little talent helps. I'd like to say I got some talent with the guitar playing, but my voice is terrible. When I hear myself sing and I hear guys like this sing, it depresses me.

I have to choose covers of guys with low voices and it's very limiting. There's stuff I want to play but just can't sing high enough.
yea, that's just part of it Kevin........we can only sing as high or as good as our voice allows us.........even with professional training we all have our limits..........
Old 04-07-2011, 07:26 AM
Guest 2143

Quote:

How about this...find a partner to perform with who has what you consider to be a great voice, and perhaps plays guitar or another instrument, for the kind of music you like. I have pretty much always played in duos. I find it much more fun than playing solo anyway. I do not have a good voice, but I do sing backup and a couple of songs on my own just to add a bit of variety to our performances. You could still sing some of the songs that you feel suit your voice. Just an idea...
Old 04-07-2011, 07:27 AM

Ever heard Stefan Grossman 'sing'? Makes me sound like an operatic tenor, and I'm the worst singer you can imagine! And then we have Neil Young who scares my cat out of the house.
We have to get by with what nature gave us-some got the filet steak, some got McDonald's mystery meat...
Old 04-07-2011, 07:36 AM

"Hang it up?"
Naw... never feel like that. The cool thing about music is that it can inspire people to bring things out of themselves that they never knew were there in the first place. How many guitarists started playing because they heard Hendrix or Tommy E? Ok, how many of those became as good as them? So my point is that they didn't, but what they did become, (the ones that stuck with it that is), is the the best of their unique abilities. Kind of like the old comparing apples to oranges type of thing. That, imo, is one of the gifts of music, in that it can inspire us and open our eyes to possibilities that we never thought were possible. It can inspire us to take that first step.

Go grab your guitar and limber up your voice. Then go kick a hole in the sky! :-)

Oh, and by the way, call me a sap but I love Boyce Ave and am really looking forward to them doing more of their own material although I enjoy their covers.

-jay
'98 SRV Fender Stratocaster
Old 04-07-2011, 07:40 AM

At 65, I take Clint Eastwood's words to heart. ("A man's got to know his limitations")
I know I don't have a great voice; but I know I can entertain.
I know I'll never be the next guitar god, but I have a distinct style and some pretty fair chops.
I try to put my own spin on songs and to judge by reactions, I do OK at that. People don't leave the room or wince...

There are any number of vastly-more-talented people out there. Enjoy 'em.

Do what you do honestly, and people will enjoy it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion