The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 05-21-2016, 11:06 AM

Default A Sudden Problem

I thought I was going to do a simple string changeout on my "new" 2004 Takamine guitar I bought a month ago, but when I tried to remove the top E string, the bridge pin would't budge. I tried my hard plastic string winder and it broke. The pins were really in tight. So I took off the three deepest strings and stuck my hand in to push the pins out from inside. Still wouldn't give. Essentially, I ended up taking all the strings off and used something hard to push the pins out from behind, and in the course of so doing, the nut fell off the top of the neck (see picture).
Is this something that, with the tautness of 6 strings, will be held in place once I re-string, or need I re-glue it? I suspect it's the latter. If so, what do I use to re-glue? Anything in particular I need to watch out for?
I thank you in advance for whatever counsel you've got. https://www.flickr.com/photos/jadina...posted-public/
2015 Martin GPCPA5
2016 Taylor 214ce-Nylon
2015 Ventura VWDONAT
Old 05-21-2016, 12:50 PM

One single small drop of white glue (Elmer's school glue) on the bottom of the nut when you string it back up. Do not use any more than this.

Absolutely Do not use any other glue - especially no epoxy, super glue, poly urethane like gorilla.

For the bridge pins.... Not really that surprising. I have had to unstring and push out bridge pins from the inside more than once.

Thanks
Old 05-21-2016, 01:10 PM

For gluing in nuts, I put the glue, just a drop as mentioned, on the end grain of the fingerboard, not the bottom of the nut slot. I use gel CA.
Old 05-21-2016, 06:15 PM

Re: bridge pins... Get a string winder that has a pin puller, it will save you a lot of grief! Also, it helps to restring one at a time; which I realize you couldn't do because of sticking bridge pins, hence the winder/puller...
Old 05-21-2016, 07:58 PM

Default String Winder

Mine has a pin puller in it, but using it on the first pin broke it. As I said, they were REALLY in.
2015 Martin GPCPA5
2016 Taylor 214ce-Nylon
2015 Ventura VWDONAT
Old 05-21-2016, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTexan View Post
Mine has a pin puller in it, but using it on the first pin broke it. As I said, they were REALLY in.
You need to buy narrower taper pins. They do vary in size. Jam those back in and sooner or later you'll split or crack the bridge and that's that. Luthier time.

http://www.guitarpartsandmore.com/?nav=pins

Without a string, they should fit perfect without a fight, not loose but perfect, maybe just the slightest bit snug. The ball end on the string will tilt it enough for a tight enough fit.

~Dave
~Music self-played is happiness self-made
Old 05-21-2016, 08:54 PM
Charter Member

Get yourself a "Snap-Eze" bridge pin puller. You pull straight out instead of wedging at an angle and possibly damaging the bridge. If really tight like yours, reach inside and push the pin up using a nickel flat on your fingertip. You can either get new pins that fit or roll the end of the pins pinched with some sandpaper. Check as you go. No need for the pins to be any tighter than just enough that they won't fall out. I sometimes put a 1/4" pic. of double stick tape on the end grain of the fret board to hold a loose nut in place.

Old 05-22-2016, 07:45 AM
Charter Member

For the first time in my life, I had a nut fall off my Huss & Dalton and Mark Dalton told me they use two drops of superglue under the nut. You want it glued in, but you don't want a real tight joint because it will have to come out sometimes.

Also, I'll second the recommendation for buying the "Snap-Eze." I laughed this off, but being a gadget guy I bought one. Once I had it, I can tell you it works really well on stubborn bridge pins. It seems like bone pins get really tight when wood shrinks and the bridge pin holes close up during periods of low RH, but the bone pins don't change dimension.
Old 05-22-2016, 07:55 AM
Charter Member

I think you must have meant periods of high RH. Wood shrinks when dry and swells when wet.

Old 05-22-2016, 09:15 AM

Default Interesting Info, All

I just ordered a bridge pin puller online.
As to the fix for my original post I went with the original suggestion--a drop of Elmer's. I let it set up for about 3 hours and it seems to have held just fine. Guitar is back in shape and playing just fine.
Thanks.
2015 Martin GPCPA5
2016 Taylor 214ce-Nylon
2015 Ventura VWDONAT
Old 05-22-2016, 09:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradHall View Post
I think you must have meant periods of high RH. Wood shrinks when dry and swells when wet.
Actually this flies against what "seems" logical, but is correct as stated. A hole gets larger as the RH increases and smaller as the RH decreases. Think about it this way for a minute. Take a board and use a hole saw to remove a circular plug of wood from the board. What happens to the plug of wood as the RH increases? It gets larger, just like the hole it was removed from. We've actually had a pretty long discussion about this that sent people to their test benches. The entire thread is interesting and covers the topic, but read post 15 here http://acousticguitarforum.com/forum...d.php?t=404669

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair