The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-24-2017, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brencat View Post
Just curious... when you say you "paid less than similar guitars in stock," are you comparing apples to apples? In other words, make sure you're not using Martin MAP pricing on production models as your basis for comparison. Many of us on this forum and elsewhere buy our Martins at nearly 40% off MSRP (MAP is 25% off MSRP), including custom builds, and the custom is almost always more expensive when compared on that basis.
See above post....
[/B]"What does it profit a man to gain (all the greatest guitars in) the world and lose his soul" Paraphrased
Old 07-24-2017, 02:14 PM
Charter Member

Does a player really know what they want? They might know what they want at a particular time in their lives but I believe there is always some unexpected surprise hanging in a guitar store somewhere, something they never considered, waiting to blow their minds.

Don't get me wrong, I've ordered quite a few custom models that turned out well. But now I like to keep $ handy instead of having it tied up waiting for a custom build. Because....you never know when the "one" may just sneak up on you. And that unpredictability is much more fun, at least for me, than trying to be in control.

1946 Epiphone Deluxe
2018 Gerundino Hijo Negra
2019 Gerundino Hijo Blanca
2021 MJT VTJ
2021 McPherson Sable
2022 Antonio Raya Ferrer Negra
2022 Eastman Romeo LA
2023 Peerless Gigmaster SC
Old 07-24-2017, 02:20 PM

I wouldn't know what to order if I got a custom. I think the people/corporations that build guitars know more about what's going to work than I do.

The only thing I could possibly want or conceive for a custom order would be the inlays. That and maybe only having 5 frets because I never use the rest anyway.
2004 Fender Telecaster MIM
2010 Martin DCX1RE
1984 Sigma DM3
Fender Mustang III v2
Old 07-24-2017, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper64 View Post
I got a combination Johnny Cash (with out the black) and a D42 with less bling. I also got it with adirondack GE (forward shifted) braces and addy VTS top, progressive tone bar, Block CFM headstock (d42 style), gotoh tuners, maple binding, strap button, EIR and Guatemalan RW... all for about $1400 under MAP on the Johnny Cash. So I basically got a JC D35 with the (exception of engleman spruce) with more for less
You got a nice custom D-35, the fair comparison is to the the price of a D-35, and I'll bet your custom was more.......

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)
Old 07-24-2017, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmyAddison View Post
You got a nice custom D-35, the fair comparison is to the the price of a D-35, and I'll bet your custom was more.......
No I think the fair comparison is to the Johnny Cash since it is a D35 with similar bracing but a different top. Premium adirondack is more than the standard and the block CFM headplate was more too... but like I said it all came in $1400 under MAP on the JC. "So even at 40% that is less.... as a matter of fact I really like the sound of the JC and to put the exact same appointments (without the signature) would have been a lot less expensive. Who needs a black guitar with the son's signature for $2000 more....
[/B]"What does it profit a man to gain (all the greatest guitars in) the world and lose his soul" Paraphrased
Old 07-24-2017, 06:24 PM

I hate paying more than I have to.
When I buy a new car I spend a zillion years researching the lowest price I can expect to pay.
It's hard work, but 'pays' off.

I just checked MSRP vs. MAP on 9 Martins, D-18 standard and up.
One thing's for sure, MAP is not 25% below MSRP, as posted above.
MAP varied from 19.6% below MSRP for the D-41 to 23.4% below MSRP for the D-45.
The average of the 9 that I checked was 20.8%.

AGF regulars know they can easily get 40% off MSRP for simply letting the dealer know they are aware of this, which lets the dealer know the buyer expects it.

But until the day that I read many testimonials from CS buyers getting 40% below MSRP AND Martin updates their website with the MSRP of every possible custom option I won't consider commissioning a CS Martin.
Why? ... Without an internet-published MSRP price list of all custom options I have know way of knowing whether the dealer's quote really is a full 40% below MSRP.
You know what they say, Trust but verify.

After all, how many Martins are sold at MAP by dealers? I'd guess the vast majority ... why should any dealer volunteer to forfeit another 20% of a nice sale whey they don't have to?
AFAIK, that's what's happening with every CS sale.
Why should dealers voluntarily give up an additional 20% on CS orders when the buyer has no way of knowing that this is what's happening?

Knowledge is power, but ignorance makes you vulnerable to overpaying.

Posting by authorized Martin dealers (but hearing only crickets when they were asked about releasing their CS options price list) demonstrates that the price list for the custom shop options is tip top secret, I'm sure this is why.
Nothing wrong with protecting profit margins.
Clearly many buyers order from the CS anyway.
I won't; that's one reason why.

Last edited by Tico; 07-24-2017 at 07:55 PM.
Old 07-24-2017, 06:40 PM

The next reason I wouldn't 'go custom' is for my needs and desires an Authentic not only gave me my dream guitar, but I assume it was lower in price than a CS of identical specs ... if that was even available.

Why do I think that?
Economy of scale.
Building a one-off guitar is much more expensive than making many identical units at the same time on the same line.

Even then, to protect the 'brand' of the Authentic line Martin refuses to build a CS to Authentic specs.

Last edited by Tico; 07-24-2017 at 08:23 PM.
Old 07-24-2017, 07:38 PM

When I used to go to burger king, I would always ask for some tweak to the burger because then it would be assembled with some higher degree of attention, off of the mass-production line. I think the same thing is true of CS guitars. Martin runs a huge factory, spewing out its standard models. Having a one-off built, even using standard parts, etc., is going to be a better process. In my experience, Tico is right. The CS pricing can appear to be in the ballpark with somewhat similar production models, but for those of us who know not to pay list, or suggested, or anything but the genuinely lowest fair market price, there's almost never any comparison. While I respect that for others getting every feature they want is important and worth the CS cost and process, I am one of those many players who almost always buys for tone and playability, and who buys used, where the greatest value for money is possible and where the instruments have settled in so that you really know what you're getting. It's really two very different ways of deciding what you want and how to get it; I wouldn't partonize a CS, and many buyers would definitely not undertake the extended hunting and dealing that I need to to, my way. Regardless: I think that Martin understands the importance of CS instruments being superior -- it's a finicky clientele!
Old 07-24-2017, 08:15 PM

The downside that would stop me from going custom is the same as buying unplayed. I must audition any acoustic guitar and that isn't happening with a custom made guitar.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 07-24-2017, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodallboy View Post
The downside that would stop me from going custom is the same as buying unplayed. I must audition any acoustic guitar and that isn't happening with a custom made guitar.
Like someone mentioned earlier... I assume this dealer... who has a great reputation... would do something to make it right if the guitar shows up and sounds unsatisfactory or even dead.
Old 07-24-2017, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Like someone mentioned earlier... I assume this dealer... who has a great reputation... would do something to make it right if the guitar shows up and sounds unsatisfactory or even dead.
Dead is pretty cut and dry, but define unsatisfactory.

What's satisfactory to the dealer may be unsatisfactory to the buyer.
What then?

Not to be snarky, but what do you mean by 'making it right'?
If I was the customer it could only mean a full refund with no obligation to spend several months on another CS roll of the dice.

Another idea.
Commission 5 identical CS guitars.
Pay for all 5 and take em home.
Spend a couple years with them.
Then keep the best one and sell the rest, at a loss of course.

It's only money.

Last edited by Tico; 07-24-2017 at 09:08 PM.
Old 07-25-2017, 04:00 AM
Charter Member

I bought a stock D18 for about $1800 a few years back.

I ordered a custom shop D18 that is identical to a d18v but with an inlay. I'm paying $3,000. Figure the inlay cost $300.

So custom shop price for getting the neck I want is about $900

Old 07-25-2017, 04:27 AM

Quote:
I just ordered a custom Martin 14 fret with everything I wanted on it...and in it, and other than the fact that I have to wait for 4 - 6 months, I am getting exactly what I want for less than similar stock models. Has anyone else noticed this?
No, I didn't notice this. Seems you're playing loose with "similar."

Martin custom pricing isn't too bad though. And with the dealer I chose for two customs, I've always gotten to play before I paid since I picked them up in person.
Old 07-25-2017, 06:58 AM

I am very happy with my custom shop Martin. I just happened to build my 000 to Golden Era specs without even realizing it. Not much bling but an AMAZING sounding guitar! It is by far the best sounding one in my stable and is my go-to guitar since getting it. My experience with this build has me thinking of another build. (even tho I really can't afford it)

My next dream guitar would be a D-35 with adi top and scalloped 1/4" braces. I have a standard D-35 now that I would have to sell first to justify this......Hmmmmm....
Eastman E10D
Eastman E20D
Washburn D52SW

Last edited by Hogie_GT; 07-25-2017 at 07:24 AM.
Old 07-25-2017, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tico View Post
I hate paying more than I have to.
When I buy a new car I spend a zillion years researching the lowest price I can expect to pay.
It's hard work, but 'pays' off.

I just checked MSRP vs. MAP on 9 Martins, D-18 standard and up.
One thing's for sure, MAP is not 25% below MSRP, as posted above.
MAP varied from 19.6% below MSRP for the D-41 to 23.4% below MSRP for the D-45.
The average of the 9 that I checked was 20.8%.

AGF regulars know they can easily get 40% off MSRP for simply letting the dealer know they are aware of this, which lets the dealer know the buyer expects it.

But until the day that I read many testimonials from CS buyers getting 40% below MSRP AND Martin updates their website with the MSRP of every possible custom option I won't consider commissioning a CS Martin.
Why? ... Without an internet-published MSRP price list of all custom options I have know way of knowing whether the dealer's quote really is a full 40% below MSRP.
You know what they say, Trust but verify.

After all, how many Martins are sold at MAP by dealers? I'd guess the vast majority ... why should any dealer volunteer to forfeit another 20% of a nice sale whey they don't have to?
AFAIK, that's what's happening with every CS sale.
Why should dealers voluntarily give up an additional 20% on CS orders when the buyer has no way of knowing that this is what's happening?

Knowledge is power, but ignorance makes you vulnerable to overpaying.

Posting by authorized Martin dealers (but hearing only crickets when they were asked about releasing their CS options price list) demonstrates that the price list for the custom shop options is tip top secret, I'm sure this is why.
Nothing wrong with protecting profit margins.
Clearly many buyers order from the CS anyway.
I won't; that's one reason why.
How much $ do you........

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion