The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-24-2017, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin666 View Post
I certainly would not buy a guitar as "new" that was treated like this. Would it not also void the warranty?
I really don't see how it would void the warranty. It's certainly less invasive than shaving the saddle, or even a truss rod adjustment.
Old 07-24-2017, 07:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mz-s View Post
They can do it if they want, but sort of like new car dealers putting pinstripes on a car and then adding the cost onto the bill without asking me if I want them or not - don't ask me to pay for something I didn't ask for!
Are they charging more for the treatment?

Pinstripes change the car's appearance. ToneRite does no such thing. It's not the same thing at all.

If you like the way the guitar sounds, what does it matter if it was TR'ed or not?

If you don't like the way the guitar sounds, what does it matter if it was TR'ed or not?

I'm no fan of ToneRite. I was given one and couldn't hear a whit of difference after treatment, so I got rid of it.

But the pinstripe comparison is just... wrong.

I fail to see the problem here.
Old 07-24-2017, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricane Ramon View Post
I played 5 to 8 hours a day for the first few years taking breaks after a two to three hour session .
Then I placed it in front of some great speakers and turn the sound on and left the guitar there
over night and all day till I picked it to play .

Can't say it worked truthfully but - I sure do have a wonderful sounding guitar.
You did all this for a few years and you say it didn't work? Sounds like playing the guitar, putting it in front of speakers or using a Tonerite gadget aren't going to help much to break-in/open-up a guitar. I guess it is better if the guitar sounds good right from the start.
Old 07-24-2017, 07:46 PM

I would only buy a guitar that was Tonerited by tap tuned, torrified, hide glued Tonerite machinery.

rct
Old 07-24-2017, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogthefrog View Post
Are they charging more for the treatment?

Pinstripes change the car's appearance. ToneRite does no such thing. It's not the same thing at all.

If you like the way the guitar sounds, what does it matter if it was TR'ed or not?

If you don't like the way the guitar sounds, what does it matter if it was TR'ed or not?

I'm no fan of ToneRite. I was given one and couldn't hear a whit of difference after treatment, so I got rid of it.

But the pinstripe comparison is just... wrong.

I fail to see the problem here.
I was simply saying that I would not pay more for a guitar that was ToneRited without having been given the option. Similar to how car dealers will add pinstripes to every car as it comes in, and add it on to the bill before the buyer has the opportunity to refuse.
Old 07-24-2017, 08:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I was simply saying that I would not pay more for a guitar that was ToneRited without having been given the option. Similar to how car dealers will add pinstripes to every car as it comes in, and add it on to the bill before the buyer has the opportunity to refuse.
Oh sure, if they charge extra without your request, that'd be bogus.

I've never seen dealers add pinstripes to cars without people asking. Is that really a thing?
Old 07-25-2017, 05:17 AM

Why not simply BAN ToneRite altogether and resolve all these quibbles ?

make it a federal offence for anyone to use one , anywhere , ever.

That way everybody's happy !

(unless there's some flaw in my logic.)
Old 07-25-2017, 06:41 AM
Charter Member

The OP question seems a lot like "if a tree fell in the forest would it make a sound if no one was there to hear it?"

I don't know how anyone could know that a guitar in the store had been TR'd.

If you don't know , and the guitar sounds good enough to buy, what's the worry?

Does the use of a TR once mean that future TR time will be needed to maintain the guitar sound?

Huss & Dalton CM
McKnight MacNaught
Breedlove Custom 000
Albert & Mueller S
Martin LXE
Voyage-Air VM04
Eastman AR605CE
Old 07-25-2017, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogthefrog View Post
Oh sure, if they charge extra without your request, that'd be bogus.

I've never seen dealers add pinstripes to cars without people asking. Is that really a thing?
Yep. In fact there's a Toyota dealer near me that pads the bill for each of their new cars by over $1300 - even the cheap Corollas - by adding bullcrap right off the truck. This is straight from their website:

I've never darkened their door so I don't know if this is something you can decline easily, since I figured if that's the way they want to do business I have no interest in even asking them for a cup of coffee.
Old 07-25-2017, 08:40 AM

Talking

Quote:
Yep. In fact there's a Toyota dealer near me that pads the bill for each of their new cars by over $1300 - even the cheap Corollas - by adding bullcrap right off the truck. This is straight from their website:

I've never darkened their door so I don't know if this is something you can decline easily, since I figured if that's the way they want to do business I have no interest in even asking them for a cup of coffee.
'...awesome privacy'. 'Awesome' is probably the most overused and cringeworthy word in the English language!
Old 07-25-2017, 08:49 AM

Quote:

At least they're up front about it and show you the price breakdown.
Old 07-25-2017, 11:48 AM

I want to be among the first to denounce the practice of stores charging hundreds of dollars extra for unrequested Toneriting.
Old 07-25-2017, 11:52 AM

Quote:
I really don't see how it would void the warranty. It's certainly less invasive than shaving the saddle, or even a truss rod adjustment.
I think that some warranties exclude some things (e.g. finish) and others may require that the guitar was not altered in any way. The way I gather it is that the use of Tonerite is supposed to change the guitar in some way, otherwise what would be the point of using it?
Old 07-25-2017, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Klepper View Post
I want to be among the first to denounce the practice of stores charging hundreds of dollars extra for unrequested Toneriting.
Did anyone say a retailer would charge for this, let alone 'hundreds of dollars"?

It had never occurred to me a fee would be added to the guitar's price.
I may be a bad businessperson, but I'd just think of it as a way to move inventory faster.
If TR worked and my guitars sound better than they do at my competitor down the street (and my monthly sales increased by X percent) I'd make more money without charging the customers a dime extra.
Old 07-25-2017, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin666 View Post
I think that some warranties exclude some things (e.g. finish) and others may require that the guitar was not altered in any way. The way I gather it is that the use of Tonerite is supposed to change the guitar in some way, otherwise what would be the point of using it?
I guess I'm confused...what known issues has the ToneRite caused that would be a matter of needing to take advantage of a guitar manufacturer's warranty in the first place?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion