The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-23-2017, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindibona1 View Post
First, I am a strong proponent of used instrument for many reasons. None of my acoustics were purchased new and they range in age from 6 years to 45 years old and are all in top shape. I am constantly playing/testing guitars just for my own knowledge/education and I don't think you can play too many guitars. You never know when you will stumble on the one. That Martin looks cool and I would encourage you to go play it. Peronsally I would never buy a new or used acoustic without playing it first. Each individual unit has its own personality. It's almost a cardinal rule for me.

If you're coming to Chicago I suggest you block out some time if you really want to take the guitar safari. CME has a nice collection of acoustics. In the past year or so they've been upgrading their collection It will be a great experience, if nothing else.

If you want to see another collection of great acoustics, make some time for yourself to visit Guitar Works in Evanston Illinois, bordering on the north side of Chicago (about 20 minutes or so from CME). They have a mix of used and new acoustics, but have a good collection of brands like Bourgeois and Collings a couple Huss and Dalton, Guild, Eastman and many Taylors as well as a few other boutique brands. As of last week they didn't have any new Gibsons that I saw. It's cute mom and pop store, the antithesis of CME.

The used 000-28 new retail goes for around $3000, so (according to Vindibona's rules of used pricing) should be around $1800 (if you follow the 60% rule). So, it's priced a *little* higher than I would pay, but it's probably got some room for negotiation. FYI, unless you're shipping it out of state (which I assume you are) they will also charge 10% (or is it 10.25%?) Chicago's current sales tax for most things. [paste political diatribe here] Each store has it's own policy regarding shipping out of state and sales tax. Just thought you should be aware of it.

Also, very close to CME is Chicago's flagship guitar center (1.5 miles/9 minutes). They have a decent collection of new and used guitars there.

Another place that has decent acoustics about 35 minutes outside of downtown Chicago is the Music Gallery in Highwood, IL . I'm not as intimately familiar with their acoustic inventory, but their stuff is top notch and they have a guy they take extra care to set up their guitars before going on the sales rack.

And I could name two or three other guitar places that would be interesting to a guitar geek... But those are the top ones that come to mind.

Good luck.
10% sales tax? Yikes. I could ship it to my sister who lives across the state line in Indiana I guess. Thanks for all the advice.
Old 07-23-2017, 06:42 PM

Yup, 10% sales tax. It's apparently the highest in the nation.

vindibona1 mentioned Music Gallery, but it's in Highland Park, not Highwood (although the town boundary runs right beside the store). They have quite a few Martins (including some tasty but pricey models they designed and had Martin build) and quite a few Taylors. There are a few new Gibsons. What they do have that few others have is a selection of McPherson guitars. McPhersons are not everyone's cup of tea, but they sure sound good to my ears.
Old 07-23-2017, 07:15 PM

Not too far from Chicago

Sweetwater Sound
5501 US Highway 30 W, Fort Wayne, IN 46818

Elderly Instruments
1100 N Washington Ave, Lansing, MI 48906
(517) 372-7890
Old 07-23-2017, 10:30 PM

Default hd 35 ?

one of the nicest guitars I have heard lately is a martin hd 35 at one of our local retailers. I have a gibby j45 standard edition. Gibson is building some stellar guitars as of late some of the custom shop j45 are unreal. Darn near any new martins or gibsons will sound spectacular...try them all eventually one will simply demand to be taken home!
Old 07-24-2017, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oresti View Post
I haven't had an acoustic guitar for years and I would like to get one. I would be playing classic rock style stuff almost exclusively. Stuff like The Black Crowes, Led Zep, the Stones, etc. I have been looking at Gibson J-45s and Martin D-28s. I have a budget of around $3000. Should I look at new or buy used. I am leaning towards new because of my lack of knowledge of acoustics. If I go for used, is there any years to avoid with those brands? Thanks.
With that budget you can easily buy FAR more guitar by buying used. That would be the deciding factor for me. After that, I'd decide my driving radius and map all the great stores in your area, and check the inventory of each.

I'd never again buy unplayed but that's only because I don't like being disappointed. Others like to take chances. At $300, take a chance, at 3K, be smart. Good luck!!
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 07-24-2017, 06:01 AM

Yes, CME is THE place to visit. Tons of great choices and their acoustic room is a wonderland. Only downside is the insane triple taxes you'll pay. It's Illinois after all (Cali of the Midwest). Don't forget to remind them of that and work the deal. Interested to know how the process goes for you as it's different for everyone. $3k is a perfect budget for a great instrument. Don't limit yourself to what others tell you to buy. Play everything and judge for yourself. I'm guessing you'll have a great story when it's all said and done.
Old 07-24-2017, 06:05 AM

Find a good Gibson Advanced Jumbo and stop there. It does everything a Martin D-28 does, but more. Big, powerful, loud, when you need it to be, and sweet and mellow for when you're being a moody, introspective singer-songwriter type.
Old 07-24-2017, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oresti View Post
Just to demonstrate that I don't know what the heck I want, what do you then think of this Martin:
https://www.chicagomusicexchange.com...ambertone-used

I will be in Chicago this coming weekend and can head over to CME to try some guitars.
The specs are off on this. They claim it has a "Richlite Fretboard".

No Martin standard series has richlite... it's ebony.
Old 07-24-2017, 06:09 AM

If I had $3000 to spend I'd buy two really good used guitars that appealed to me. The AGF law says you're going to want another one soon anyway.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 07-24-2017, 06:11 AM
Charter Member

If I had $3K to spend on something I don't know much about, I would go on The Internet and ask strangers what I like.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 07-24-2017, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
If I had $3K to spend on something I don't know much about, I would go on The Internet and ask strangers what I like.
Isn't that the central theme of most threads, LOL.....

Touche'!
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 07-24-2017, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs146 View Post
For 3k you have a lot of great options. Can't go wrong with a D-28 or an HD-28. Talk to our forum sponsors for a great price!
CME was the best guitar store experience I've ever had. Go there and play some guitars. They have a large acoustic room with a ton of great new and used acoustics in your price range. Their prices are competitive with anyone. (*Edit - I didn't know about the 10% sales tax.)

Go there. You won't be disappointed. For classic rock, I'd get a dreadnaught without regard to brand and simply buy the one you like the best in terms of tone and feel. That's what people played during that era in terms of classic rock, large guitars. Not exclusively, of course. A good ooo or om size could deliver the tone you're looking for.

Last edited by Brick is Red; 07-24-2017 at 09:05 AM.
Old 07-24-2017, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjmacd View Post
Yup, 10% sales tax. It's apparently the highest in the nation.

vindibona1 mentioned Music Gallery, but it's in Highland Park, not Highwood (although the town boundary runs right beside the store). They have quite a few Martins (including some tasty but pricey models they designed and had Martin build) and quite a few Taylors. There are a few new Gibsons. What they do have that few others have is a selection of McPherson guitars. McPhersons are not everyone's cup of tea, but they sure sound good to my ears.
I stand corrected on the Highland Park being the town. It's just off of Routes 22/Half Day Rd (and 41- what the Edens expressway ends into ) which divides Highland Park and Highwood. Sorry for that. Thank you for the correction. Again 35 minutes (except in rush hour) from downtown Chicago.

What I didn't mention is that they also have a large collection of Fender Custom Shop models and some really sweet Gibson electrics. I think what sets Music Gallery stand out is that they really take care to set up the guitars properly. Also... THEY HAVE A PLEK MACHINE on the premises... An oh yeah... Another Guitar Center 5 minutes from Music Gallery in Highland Park. Not as nice as the one in Chicago, but they have a few used acoustics. Last I checked the HP store had a used D-28 a used Taylor 814ce and a 714ce and a few others. GC prices their used gear a little high so you have to negotiate a little to get the price into the acceptable range. Sales tax 8.75% if I have that correct.

FWIW, if you're into electrics and you want to see some really nice ones that you won't see at your Guitar Center, not far from Music Gallery is Make'n Music, just off the Edens Expressway. If you're coming from Chicago you'll pass it coming and going.

IMO Chicago is a guitar Mecca. I feel fortunate to live right in the middle of all the aforementioned guitar stores.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 07-24-2017, 09:10 AM

Play as many as you can, that's the path to finding the one.
Old 07-24-2017, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohYew812 View Post
The specs are off on this. They claim it has a "Richlite Fretboard".

No Martin standard series has richlite... it's ebony.
That's what I was wondering, if they had it wrong. That was one of the things I was hesitant about. Ebony sounds better than richlite, even if playing wise it doesn't matter. I guess I'll stop there before I open up a whole ' other can of worms.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion