The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 07-22-2017, 09:01 PM

Default Making action adjustments on new build

How long should I wait to make final action adjustments on my new build? It has been strung up for 4 days and has no trouble holding tune. I am using a bone nut and saddle and the guitar is a dreadnought with light gauge strings.

Last edited by Albert D; 07-22-2017 at 09:51 PM.
Old 07-23-2017, 12:19 AM
AGF Sponsor

It has never really occurred to me to put it off. Most of my guitars have their first final set up in a day or two. The truss rod may need attention after a few days, but the nut and saddle rarely need further attention until the seasons shift, and then it is the saddle.
Old 07-23-2017, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer View Post
It has never really occurred to me to put it off. Most of my guitars have their first final set up in a day or two. The truss rod may need attention after a few days, but the nut and saddle rarely need further attention until the seasons shift, and then it is the saddle.
Thanks Bruce, I was going to have a professional setup done but it seems kind of silly to let someone else do a setup on a guitar that I built. I'll get it back on the bench and get it dialed in. It's been holding tune very well. I thought it would be changing quite a bit for a while as the top settled into the string tension.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair