The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 07-24-2017, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
Hi Mark,

A phone is certainly one way to make a video.

I use a separate video camera mounted on a tripod and the camera does have a remote control. See my YouTube site for some examples of what this looks like.

I actually use two video cameras, one zoomed in close on my fingers and located close enough to me that I can simply press the start button without needing a remote control, and the main camera is farther away, and I do use the remote control for that one.

A couple of my videos are also currently up in Show & Tell on the AGF, here and here.

I hope this is helpful!

- Glenn
It is helpful. I've got your YouTube on my subscription list and I do like the way you present. I may see about getting something a little more robust if I do much more of this. Wonder if they make remote foot controls? Might save trying to juggle guitar, etc. if one wanted to say, switch shots in mid-tune.
Old 07-24-2017, 01:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap'nCrunch View Post
It is helpful. I've got your YouTube on my subscription list and I do like the way you present. I may see about getting something a little more robust if I do much more of this. Wonder if they make remote foot controls? Might save trying to juggle guitar, etc. if one wanted to say, switch shots in mid-tune.
Mark,

You could use both your phone and a separate video camera and then you could combine them in the video program. I use Adobe Premier Elements, which you can buy from Amazon for something like $70, and it allows the use of up to 3 cameras. I also separately record the audio, which it looks like you are doing.

So if you do the fading or switching in the video program, you would not need to be changing camera shots in the middle of playing a song. Trying to get a good take on a song is hard enough, so switching things around in mid-take would really add complexity and increase your chances of messing things up.

Again, I hope this helps!

- Glenn
Old 07-24-2017, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
Mark,

You could use both your phone and a separate video camera and then you could combine them in the video program. I use Adobe Premier Elements, which you can buy from Amazon for something like $70, and it allows the use of up to 3 cameras. I also separately record the audio, which it looks like you are doing.

So if you do the fading or switching in the video program, you would not need to be changing camera shots in the middle of playing a song. Trying to get a good take on a song is hard enough, so switching things around in mid-take would really add complexity and increase your chances of messing things up.

Again, I hope this helps!

- Glenn
Yes, it occurred to me after thinking about it there's post editing going on. This makes sense. I know it typically takes me about 25-50 "takes" to get 3-4 minutes I'm even marginally satisfied with. No reason to add to the overhead. Plus it occurs to me that in a post editing environment, with a little practice and finesse, one could cut and paste multiple "takes", thus alleviating the frustration of finally getting a "good" one, only to blow it in the last few seconds on the outro.
Old 07-24-2017, 11:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap'nCrunch View Post
Yes, it occurred to me after thinking about it there's post editing going on. This makes sense. I know it typically takes me about 25-50 "takes" to get 3-4 minutes I'm even marginally satisfied with. No reason to add to the overhead. Plus it occurs to me that in a post editing environment, with a little practice and finesse, one could cut and paste multiple "takes", thus alleviating the frustration of finally getting a "good" one, only to blow it in the last few seconds on the outro.
Hi Mark,

I have never tried to edit the final video by splicing pieces together to get a good take. I could be wrong but I think the splice points would be obvious on video. I just keep doing takes until I get something I can use. The final version is never perfect, but like you, there are probably 25-50 takes, sometimes more, before I get something I'm not too embarrassed by. I just think of it as practice and try not to let it upset me too much.

- Glenn

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell