The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 07-21-2017, 11:35 AM

I just made mine up.

But on the vintage car and motorcycle forums, I tell the truth.

I got into guitar just this year, via the ukulele, and begin with uke in early spring. Then dusted off my 1972 Mar-tune I hadn't played since about 1976. Before joining this forum I hung at at the ukulele underground forum (never could figure how to get an account) and was blown away by the signature lines listing uke inventories that must have been up in the $25k range.

Naples, FL

1972 Martin D18 (Kimsified, so there!)
Alvarez Yairi PYM70
Yamaha LS-TA with sunburst finish
Republic parlor resonator
Too many ukeleles

Last edited by Shortfinger; 07-21-2017 at 11:41 AM.
Old 07-21-2017, 11:37 AM

I think it would be a shame if "lists" were banned from signatures.

The reason I list my meager "collections" is precisely what -I- use the lists for: to connect with other owners of particular guitars that I am trying to get hard-to-find information about. This forum is a GOLDMINE of expert information.

It's helped me immensely already as I've contacted a few other members, who have without fail graciously shared info with me. I have even happily returned the favor myself, based on this premise.

There's no pleasing everyone. Unfortunately, the Internet makes this even more of a sad truth............... IMHO..........

YAMAHA LS16M ARE
NORMAN Expedition Parlour SG
HALCYON Mahogany NL-00
EASTMAN E10 00-SS
BLACKBIRD Lucky 13
Old 07-21-2017, 11:41 AM

Are people really actually offended by guitars in signatures? I always thought it was interesting to see what other played and have even had discussions on
Specific guitars generated by signature lines.

I have some much nicer guitars than I deserve, some that I worked hard for and bought, and some inherited and some graciously gifted to me. I don't think I have much worth bragging about and don't see it as bragging. Many people
here have way nicer stuff than I do and I'm happy for them and I have some
nicer stuff than a few people here, doesn't mean I'm jealous of those that have nicer instruments or that I'm better than anybody I may have nicer gear than.

Why can't we just be happy with we have and enjoy the fact we get to use these instruments to play music.
Old 07-21-2017, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeltrans View Post
I will just remove the list in my signature. My reason for adding (which I did long after joining this forum) was reading a discussion about these gear lists, in which a few posters pointed out that such lists were helpful to those who were interested in purchasing an instrument similar to one another person here might have, and could then ask questions about it.

Prior to that thread, I felt that these gear lists were a bit of a menu for those who might want to sample the goods when we weren't home. A combination of the gear list and an indication of where we lived could bring that about.

So I will remove my list.

As far as not being able to afford what somebody else has, whatever happened to the idea of improving one's lot so as to be able to do so? When I was growing up, there were ads in the back of magazines and inside matchbook covers that all had the same sort of theme: a guy is looking enviously at his neighbor's new car or bigger house, so the ad is about some school that offers a curriculum that would supposedly result in the person being able to get a better paying job as a result of having gone through the program.

That is a far cry from being offended because somebody else can afford better, or falling for one of those internet "get rich overnight" schemes with the "magic bullet" website or blog.

Times sure are changing. Anyway, after this post, I will go into my account and change my signature.

Tony
...not sure why but your guitars called me on my work phone and they want to be back on your signatures or they're saying they'll be walking out of your house to my house.

Last edited by Kerbie; 07-21-2017 at 02:30 PM. Reason: Edited quote
Old 07-21-2017, 11:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhmulkey View Post
Ok, well I'm offended that you removed the guitars from your signature, so what now?
I suppose the next step would be to remove the guitars so nobody complains that I have all "the good ones" or some such silliness.

Thanks for adding some humor to this thread.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...

Last edited by Kerbie; 07-21-2017 at 02:30 PM. Reason: Removed political suggestion
Old 07-21-2017, 11:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
Tony, I've got to tell you that after all these years, I'm a little offended that you would remove your list without checking with us first.....

Yes, I'm kidding.....
I was so offended with myself for removing my list that I just had to stand in front of a mirror and slap myself. Then, I shouted "Thanks, I needed that!". Now my face hurts but I am no longer offended.

Tony

- Anxiously waiting...
Old 07-21-2017, 12:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudals View Post
...not sure why but your guitars called me on my work phone and they want to be back on your signatures or they're saying they'll be walking out of your house to my house.
I think I have an idea to solve this whole thing. We should all swap guitar list signatures, so that nobody is posting their own. Then, nobody can be really offended, because nobody really knows what anybody really has...really!

By the way, my guitars called your guitars and said let's do lunch.

Tony

- Anxiously waiting...
Old 07-21-2017, 12:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
...By the way, my guitars called your guitars and said let's do lunch.

Tony
My guitars were offended for being left out and wanted to know if they could string along....

This time I was serious....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 07-21-2017, 12:16 PM

Default Interesting

I guess its a matter of judgement, probably in more than one way. I think its a good post. Kind of an elephant in the room kind of thing. I like seeing the commentary. People are funny.
RNF
Old 07-21-2017, 12:16 PM
Charter Member

And please folks, when you perform you should sing off key and play badly. It will make me look and feel bad if you are practice more than I do and then go out and play better than me... JUST KIDDING. Jeeeesh!

Reality is reality. Musicians compete for gigs and we also compete for the good instruments. If you practice for hours every day you will get good and then the good instruments will come to you. Not every fiddle player gets to own a Stradivarius.
Old 07-21-2017, 12:19 PM

Quote:
I think I have an idea to solve this whole thing. We should all swap guitar list signatures, so that nobody is posting their own.
Tony
Actually a cool idea!

I know there have been threads like this, but put a signature up of like 5 guitars you would reasonably want to own, whether you do or not.
Old 07-21-2017, 12:30 PM

Now THAT is an idea! Instead of scrimping and saving so that (somewhere around my retirement) three years from now I might buy a Martin M-36, 00-DB Jeff Tweedy, or SWOMGT I could just put them in my signature NOW and say I already had them! Brilliant!

Teach us what ways have light, what gifts have worth.
Edna St. Vincent Millay
Old 07-21-2017, 12:46 PM

Quote:
I think I have an idea to solve this whole thing. We should all swap guitar list signatures, so that nobody is posting their own. Then, nobody can be really offended, because nobody really knows what anybody really has...really!

By the way, my guitars called your guitars and said let's do lunch.

Tony
Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
My guitars were offended for being left out and wanted to know if they could string along....

This time I was serious....
You guys made my day~ ROFL

Are y'all guitars hitting on my Jenny...I mean my guitar? She's a sweet blonde gal.
Old 07-21-2017, 12:55 PM

New sig line:

Somoji Modified D- Brazilian
Olson SJ- Cedar/ Brazilian
1937 Martin D18
1930 Martin 00045
1942 Gibson J45

1958 Les Paul standard
1956 Fender stratocaster
PRS private stock Custom 24

I'm not bragging too much am I? Anyone jealous?
Old 07-21-2017, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap'nCrunch View Post
I am told an antidote for chronic consternation is a good laxative.
That's why lemon oil is made of mineral oil. Take a healthy swig and clean your fretboard while you're waiting for your consternation to pass.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic