The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 07-19-2017, 08:43 PM

Default Witnessed a Car Crash Today

I witnessed a car crash today as I sat and waited for the light on a parkway. It happened right in front of me as the car just slammed right into one end of a guard rail. I heard the loud crumpling sound of plastic and metal. It all happened too fast. The car probably hit the end of the guard rail while going full speed at around 50 mph. I called 911 as I pulled up right behind the car. The passenger was fine and walked out of the vehicle and started to call the 911 herself. When I got to the driver side, I saw a young man in pain holding his head. Thankfully, there was no blood. As I kept talking on the phone, the young man grabs my hand and I recall him asking me to stay with him. He gathered himself together and exited the vehicle since there were fluids leaking. And then he sort of collapsed on the grassy part of the sidewalk. I stayed with him while the dispatcher asked me questions. He began having pain in his abdominal area and his rib cage. He said he lost his vision and was attempting to pull over the car. The EMS crew showed up within five minutes. We wished them the best and left.

After this, I had many thoughts about life.
How fragile we are.
How your life can change in seconds.
What it felt like holding the hand of someone in need.
This experience is like a wake up call.
My perception of life was shattered by reality.
What's important in life?
Took time to reflect on life.
Old 07-19-2017, 09:02 PM
Charter Member

You're right. You just never know what the next day or the next moment is going to bring. A number of years ago I too was the witness to a car accident. A car sped through a stop sign and came flying across from a side street, nailing the car in front of me. The impact sent the car in front of me onto the porch of a house and onto its side. I climbed up on the side of the car and assisted the occupants out of the car. The offending vehicle never stopped. Police and rescue soon arrived, and I found the license plate from the hit & run vehicle. You just never know....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm

Last edited by RP; 07-19-2017 at 10:18 PM.
Old 07-19-2017, 09:02 PM

I see people and their situations AFTER the 911 call, hours and days after; I work in the ICU.
Yep, devastating tragedies tearing lives apart.
It's quite an education.

Sometimes I could talk about it for hours, at times I can't talk about it at all and it's hard to even think about.

One's life and health are probably taken for granted more than anything, except maybe that of their family members.
Old 07-19-2017, 09:28 PM

Not to make light of the seriousness of injuries obtained in accidents...

John Prine once saw one.

~Dave
~Music self-played is happiness self-made
Old 07-19-2017, 09:35 PM

Sometimes things happen that cause us to pause and think about life, what it means, why we're here, and just how short it really is, even if we get to live to be "old." No details needed, but I suspect we've all had those kinds of experiences. I know I have! Each new day is a gift - invest it wisely!

cotten
Old 07-19-2017, 09:35 PM

Not in the philosophical vein but more the technical side ...

I grew up next to the main highway around Alexandria, LA. It was a 4 lane + service road setup, with a stop light about a block down from our house. Every year or two we would hear the distinctive sequence of sounds - screeeeech of tires locked up - bang crash rattle of the collision like a truck dumping a load of empty garbage cans - then later the sirens.

But I recently witnessed a fairly minor rear-ender and was struck by the difference in the sounds - a stuttering dud-dud-duh of antilock brakes - a muted thump and crunch of the crumple zone - and the pop an air bag.

Now if technology can just get the drivers out of the picture we'll save most of the 40,000 or so lives lost to auto accidents in a year.

Fran
The Homebrewed Music Blog
Old 07-19-2017, 10:34 PM

Life begins and then ends. We have little control over when and how. Enjoy it while you can.
Old 07-19-2017, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManyMartinMan View Post
Life begins and then ends. We have little control over when and how. Enjoy it while you can.
I would say we have a fair amount of influence over how we live (healthwise) and die but control?
I agree; no.
Old 07-20-2017, 05:47 AM

I have realized that I definite have taken life for granted. I feel as if I have lived a life on an assembly line, taking things what life has been throwing at me with no thoughts. Kind of like sitting in a classroom and just sitting there with my mind else where.

My wife is active. She works from home raising our son. I say she works based on my experience with watching my son. She always wants to go out and do something while I get grumpy and refuse to go out. I think that is something that I need to change. Enjoy life. Buy a Collings D2H.
Old 07-20-2017, 07:13 AM

A young man unexpectedly losing vision sounds like there may be serious problems outside of the accident?
Eastman John Pisano
Gibson Johnny A
Franklin Prairie State
Collings D1A
Old 07-20-2017, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudals View Post
Thankfully, there was no blood.
What to do if there is blood, or choking, or?
Got training and a first aid kit?
Save life!
http://www.redcross.org/ux/take-a-class
Old 07-20-2017, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wengr View Post
A young man unexpectedly losing vision sounds like there may be serious problems outside of the accident?
I was going to say something similar. I occasionally get ocular migraines and had one yesterday. I wasn't feeling well anyway and considered going home from work. However, I decided that anything screwy with my vision made driving a poor decision. yikes...
Old 07-20-2017, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wengr View Post
Young man? How young OP? Young people are mad texters. Years ago when I saw an inexplicable accident happen or some strange mv maneuver I thought "They must be sick" Now its "Some dope is texting or on the phone". Had a young girl cross over the roadway and slam into a parked car in front of my house two weeks ago. She got out of the car all upset exclaiming " I was eating ice cream and it fell and I panicked" So I looked inside the wreaked car and...no ice cream on the seat, dash, windshield...or on her. I would bet she was texting and messed up. Everybody tries to get out from under blaming everything but themselves.
Old 07-20-2017, 08:51 AM

Yep, your life can change in an instant and not necessarily for the better.

A couple of weeks ago I witnessed a minivan pull out of a beach parking lot right in front of a loaded dump truck coming down a steep hill on Hwy 1 in CA. The truck driver had no choice but to hit the guy.

There was absolutely nothing left of the crumpled minivan. Both occupants were killed outright. The driver was a guy probably in his late 80's and maybe someone who shouldn't have been driving anymore. He never even looked before pulling out on the highway.
Old 07-20-2017, 10:43 AM

OP here.
I did not see the driver on the phone.
He said he was trying to pull over because he was losing his vision.

I get migraines from time to time and get a bright white spot right smack in my vision but it develops slowly. I think we can rule out a migraine.

The dispatcher asked me if he was taking any medication but he said just extra strength tylenol...for what? I don't know.

What's funny is that the passenger walked right out of the car and was fine. Seat belt? Or maybe the point of impact was right in front of the driver?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic