The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-19-2017, 06:52 AM
Charter Member

Location: Stationary home in NJ. Mobile home on any given highway.
Default What is important to you when buying a used guitar?

For me, it's the guitar's sound, playability, structure, and price. What's of hardly of any importance to me is the collectability and resale value. and if the instrument has some knicks, scratches or dents, I pretty much could care less.

The one exception is my '56 D-18, which, aside from its spectacular sound, was a birthday present from my wife because that's the year I was born. As Carol is a big Andy Griffith fan, it's also the same model and same year as the one that he played on his show. So that one is very sentimental.

For me though, my instruments are tools to be used. I keep 'em in good shape, like a lumberjack who makes sure that his ax blades are always sharp.

That being said, I see so much emphasis being put on the cosmetics in those online ads. Nothing wrong with that at all, if that's what's important to you.

What's important to YOU?

Last edited by Toby Walker; 07-19-2017 at 07:00 AM.
Old 07-19-2017, 07:05 AM

Hi Toby, for me it's:

Can I get my money out when the time comes and how hard will it be to sell?

Will I get some enjoyment and learn from the experience?

I have plenty of instruments to play, so that's rarely a consideration.
Old 07-19-2017, 07:14 AM

The neck: proper angle (no reset needed), no nicks on the back of it (can't stand small nicks on the back of the neck), headstock ok (no cracks/repairs), tuners in good shape (matching/work), frets (enough material left/none sticking up)

The top: not belly up too far or sunk in too far, no cracks in wood (finish cracks no big deal to me), bridge glued down (not lifting)

Back and sides: no holes or cracks (finish cracks ok)
Old 07-19-2017, 07:16 AM

It's important to me that the guitar be in mint or near-mint condition. It's not that a guitar with scratches and dents can't sound good, it's just that the supply on the used market is so plentiful and prices are so low that there's no need to settle.
Old 07-19-2017, 07:18 AM
Get off my lawn kid

Tone, neck profile, setup and saddle height. Scratch and dents last, but I'd want something that looks halfway decent.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 07-19-2017, 07:25 AM

I am not a stickler regarding aesthtics. If I love the sound and feel I will gladly give a home to the wretched refuse of the guitar world. I do own a few (such as a 1950s Harmony Sovereign and 1930s Regal-made solid maple body Oahu parlor) that were beat with an ugly stick.

So obviously first is sound and feel. I love thick necks (particularly a soft V) and generous string spread the the bridge. While I am flexible and can adapt, there is a point I cannot go beyond. Second is originality. I do not mind replaced bridges, pickguards, turners or even overspray. The only time I will stray from this is when survival trumps originality. The original bridge plate in my late 1930s Regal jumbo 12 string was made of spruce. I had it replaced with a maple plate. But generally I want the top and body wood, neck carve, bracing and such to be the original. Last, and not least, is price. I am a notorious cheapskate.

Last edited by zombywoof; 07-19-2017 at 07:35 AM.
Old 07-19-2017, 07:28 AM

Very little is important to me other than tone. How it sounds on the very first strum. If it's not there at that point, it's not ever going to be.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 07-19-2017, 07:33 AM

Sound, playability and condition, in that order, the rest of the stuff falls way behind in making a decision weather to buy or not.

Guitars to me are very much tools, they still get treated right because they cost a lot of money and I want them to play well, no other reason. The possible future value of these instruments never enters my head. Its never been the reason to buy one
Old 07-19-2017, 07:38 AM

Making sure I know everything possible about the guitar. Sound and physical condition are the obvious issues and easiest to evaluate. I want communication with the seller so I know the history (repairs, storage, humidity, even dogs/cats present...) so I can evaluate whether that instrument will do, for me, what I need it to do. Yes the pet question is important to me. I see photos of guitar owner's who allow their dogs and cats to lay in their instrument cases while the instrument is out and the case is open. For me that's a deal breaker. I've even read stories here where pets have had accidents in a case. I don't want to experience your pets while playing my used guitar.

Last edited by ManyMartinMan; 07-19-2017 at 07:51 AM.
Old 07-19-2017, 07:46 AM

I used to listen for tone first. Then condition.

But five years worth of searching, buying and selling has taught me that unless the guitar fits me, neither tone nor condition is relevant.

I have bought, and wrestled with, a number of used guitars that had tone for days, but had nuts that were too narrow or scales that were too long, usually both. But they were great deals!

Now I know. Short scale, 14 frets, 1 3/4 nut, then tone. Cosmetics are last, but a nice bonus.

Having said all that, a headstock crack is an absolute deal-breaker for me.

A few nice ones, a few beaters, and a few I should probably sell...
Old 07-19-2017, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby Walker View Post
For me, it's the guitar's sound, playability, structure, and price. What's of hardly of any importance to me is the collectability and resale value. and if the instrument has some knicks, scratches or dents, I pretty much could care less.

The one exception is my '56 D-18, which, aside from its spectacular sound, was a birthday present from my wife because that's the year I was born. As Carol is a big Andy Griffith fan, it's also the same model and same year as the one that he played on his show. So that one is very sentimental.

For me though, my instruments are tools to be used. I keep 'em in good shape, like a lumberjack who makes sure that his ax blades are always sharp.

That being said, I see so much emphasis being put on the cosmetics in those online ads. Nothing wrong with that at all, if that's what's important to you.

What's important to YOU?

I've not even thought about buying another guitar in years. However, when I was in the market for one, I think you and I have the same thought process. I NEVER think about resale value because I generally buy things to keep forever. I think there is so much emphasis on cosmetics because inexperienced/young guitar players focus on the looks of something just as much (if not more) than tone, playability, etc. Heck, I remember walking into a Sam Ash years ago, and I'd be doggone if they didn't have a full-length mirror set up in the electric guitar department. Hilarious.
Old 07-19-2017, 07:48 AM
Charter Member

A guitar has to move me. It always starts with that "whoa!!!" moment. That first strum in person ... or, looks and value are enough for me to buy a guitar I have not played. That ad that you can't stop checking out. It won't stick around though if tone and playability don't move me. That's where value comes in ... if you buy it right it's a no risk adventure.

Goodall, Martin, Wingert
Old 07-19-2017, 08:07 AM

The only guitar I could comfortably buy used without playing it first would have "Collings" written on the headstock. I've never played an "Average" sounding Collings and I've played a lot of them (currently own four).

As for their build quality, that's second to none IMO.
Old 07-19-2017, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby Walker View Post
For me, it's the guitar's sound, playability, structure, and price. What's of hardly of any importance to me is the collectability and resale value. and if the instrument has some nicks, scratches or dents, I pretty much could care less.
I will echo this, with a caveat that the dings etc. will be adjusted for in the price. I have not seen a used guitar that I couldn't pass up.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 07-19-2017, 08:23 AM
Charter Member

Location: Stationary home in NJ. Mobile home on any given highway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorkPieGuy View Post
I think there is so much emphasis on cosmetics because inexperienced/young guitar players focus on the looks of something just as much (if not more) than tone, playability, etc. Heck, I remember walking into a Sam Ash years ago, and I'd be doggone if they didn't have a full-length mirror set up in the electric guitar department. Hilarious.
Was there a makeup counter and hair salon close by as well?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion