The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 07-24-2017, 11:28 PM
Charter Member

His Author's Notes cd is excellent btw.

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.
Old 07-24-2017, 11:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
His Author's Notes cd is excellent btw.

I have it. It is a treat. So is his Pink Guitar CD.
Old 08-03-2017, 09:09 AM
Charter Member

Default It makes a different which guitar you use

So all this time I'd been in a love fest with my Yamaha FS800 and was primarily using that guitar to learn "Over and Out Rag." I've been doing ok but still fumbling a bit with those tricky measures where you wrap the thumb on the F chord.

So I picked up my Martin CEO7 last night to give the tune a whirl and lo and behold I didn't make any mistakes but I could play it faster. What's the difference? A 1 11/16 nut with standard scale length vs. a 1 3/4 nut with a shorter scale.

I'm going to try the tune out on my Martin D Jr tonight (1 3/4, short scale) and my Seagull cedar folk this weekend (1.8 nut, short scale).
Old 08-03-2017, 11:31 AM
Charter Member

Sometimes I will purposely practice a song on my Seagull folk that has a lot of 1st position stuff and thumbwrapping going on. This loosens my fretting hand up. Playing the tune on a narrower nut afterwards is always easier.

My SoundCloud page

Old 08-05-2017, 04:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Sometimes I will purposely practice a song on my Seagull folk that has a lot of 1st position stuff and thumbwrapping going on. This loosens my fretting hand up. Playing the tune on a narrower nut afterwards is always easier.
That actually worked. I tried OAOR on my coastline folk, then came back to try it out again on my Yamaha FS last night. Somehow I am getting it, and am able to do the F chord thumb wrap more consistently, AND at increased speed.

I have spent a lot of time going back and forth between the F chord and the C chord or G chord. Something else that has helped: Paying close attention to an economy of movement. I have a bad habit of lifting left hand fingers off the fretboard completely when the better option would be smaller movements, or even keeping some fingers down that are common to more than one chord. This has improved my playing significantly.

I am now officially opening up the next Hanson book "Solo Fingerstyle" and am starting on Red, White and Blue Rag. It's not as catchy to me as Over and Out, but I am feeling more confident that I can now play some of these tunes from memory.
Old 08-05-2017, 04:57 PM
Charter Member

I am
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueser100 View Post
That actually worked. I tried OAOR on my coastline folk, then came back to try it out again on my Yamaha FS last night. Somehow I am getting it, and am able to do the F chord thumb wrap more consistently, AND at increased speed.

I have spent a lot of time going back and forth between the F chord and the C chord or G chord. Something else that has helped: Paying close attention to an economy of movement. I have a bad habit of lifting left hand fingers off the fretboard completely when the better option would be smaller movements, or even keeping some fingers down that are common to more than one chord. This has improved my playing significantly.

I am now officially opening up the next Hanson book "Solo Fingerstyle" and am starting on Red, White and Blue Rag. It's not as catchy to me as Over and Out, but I am feeling more confident that I can now play some of these tunes from memory.
Good news.

Red White and Blue is a neat tune. I don't remember "Over and Out," I'll have to check it out. I have both books sitting right here.

I like it. I also listened to Hesitation Blues. I think I'll load that into Audacity and pan out the vocals and boost the gain.....

It might not be a bad idea for me to start on page 1 and review from there as well a couple nights a week. If you don't use it, you lose it,

My SoundCloud page

Last edited by Kerbie; 08-06-2017 at 11:26 AM.
Old 08-06-2017, 11:01 AM
Charter Member

Default Mark Hanson, guitar instructor

I'm sitting at Logan airport waiting for a very late flight to go home after visiting my daughter in Boston. I noticed this thread on AGF and wanted to put in my .02 re: Mark as an instructor.

Mark and I started together with skype lessons about 5 months ago and for the first time since I started noodling with guitar some 40 years ago I feel like I can play music (took a very long break to get married, have kids, raise kids and see them off to college).

We're using Mark's intro to Travis picking book and it's well thought out and multi-layered. I never did skype lessons before but for Mark they are second nature. He's patient as hell and I know I'm making progress.

Mark was recommended on AGF and I thank AGF for the recommendation :-)

Steve-arino

Emerald X20
Martin OM-28E
Old 08-06-2017, 02:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-arino View Post
I'm sitting at Logan airport waiting for a very late flight to go home after visiting my daughter in Boston. I noticed this thread on AGF and wanted to put in my .02 re: Mark as an instructor.

Mark and I started together with skype lessons about 5 months ago and for the first time since I started noodling with guitar some 40 years ago I feel like I can play music (took a very long break to get married, have kids, raise kids and see them off to college).

We're using Mark's intro to Travis picking book and it's well thought out and multi-layered. I never did skype lessons before but for Mark they are second nature. He's patient as hell and I know I'm making progress.

Mark was recommended on AGF and I thank AGF for the recommendation :-)

Steve-arino

Emerald X20

Martin OM-28E

Great story, Steve-arino. Indeed, I have Mark to thank for putting out such great learning materials that are both rewarding and fun to play. Because of his Travis picking books, I can play many of my favorites.
Old 08-16-2017, 11:45 AM
Charter Member

Playing around with "Over and Out Rag" on my Seagull. My hand hurts, lol. Streeeetch that hand out....

My SoundCloud page

Old 08-16-2017, 12:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Playing around with "Over and Out Rag" on my Seagull. My hand hurts, lol. Streeeetch that hand out....
Hi Barry,

For me OAOR is a great tune (I would call it a song but recently learned here on AGF that I would be mistaken!) for left hand dexterity practice, especially the thumb wrapped F chord. My widest nut guitar is only 1 and 3/4, so I don't envy you on that 'gull!
Old 08-16-2017, 12:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

I have been playing it on my Yamaha FS800. I have really gotten this one under my fingers now - even the dreaded F chord thumb wrap. How? I have the guitar sitting out most of the time, and within reach as I work on the computer. I pick it up and play without thinking about what I am playing. This comes in handy when I am on a webinar or on live chat customer service.
Old 08-16-2017, 12:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueser100 View Post
I have been playing it on my Yamaha FS800. I have really gotten this one under my fingers now - even the dreaded F chord thumb wrap. How? I have the guitar sitting out most of the time, and within reach as I work on the computer. I pick it up and play without thinking about what I am playing. This comes in handy when I am on a webinar or on live chat customer service.
Great job, Blueser!

What's next for you?

I'm working on Woody Mann's Creole Baby, a tribute of sorts to John Hurt's Creole Belle. Lots of the same left hand positions with a bit more syncopation in the treble notes. I'm drawn to the key of C for some strange reason....

Also practicing Mark Hanson's Key to the Kingdom (the easy version in one of his books, not the performance version he sells on his website). It gets up the neck a little bit, some syncopation and no F chords.

I'm close on both, but not yet performance ready.

I recommend both tunes highly!
Old 08-16-2017, 12:19 PM

Thanks Mark for making me a better player!
Old 08-17-2017, 11:55 AM
Charter Member

I remember back in the early 2000's when I got the Contemporary book. My right hand was like "what?" Now going back to practicing OAOR, my left hand feels what I can imagine a 20 pound overweight recruit feels like in the first month of basic training..... Come'on pudgy, lets move it,

My SoundCloud page

Old 08-19-2017, 11:29 AM
Charter Member

Making progress in the Solo course. Wrapping up Etude and learning 4 finger rolls with Dedicated to Mississippi John Hurt. Also working on my holiday songs with getting into It Came Upon a Midnight Clear from Mark's Fingerstyle Christmas collection. Great material.
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write