The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 07-10-2017, 01:46 PM
Charter Member

Re: Chinese instruments: I used to have a real aversion to Chinese guitars and I took a lot of verbal abuse on the Jazz Guitar Forum about it. I found that a lot of my problem was not wanting anything (especially a guitar) coming out of a Chicom country due to the fact that a lot of those folks did their dead level best to kill me during the Viet Nam War back in '68 and '69. Somehow, I managed (and I'm not sure exactly how) to work through that and ended up buying a Cordoba GK Studio a few years ago and I've enjoyed it more than many of the U.S. made instruments that I've owned over the years. Workmanship is top notch and tone is as good as anything out there in the price range.

I've been building my own Telecasters for going on 30 years but earlier this year, bought a Squier Custom Vibe Tele from Sweetwater and it's as good as anything out there and has become my main gigging guitar. Also, after years of using high $$$ Fender and Evans amps, I'm now using a BOSS Katana 50 which cost me $199 and does everything that I need it to do. If you can get the chance don't overlook the Cordoba or Kenny Hill guitars. I'm not overly fond of Spanish-built guitars but I've had a few that I liked real well - try Tom Prisloe's PAVAN line - they're exceptional in quality and tone.

I'm like you, I build stuff - I'm getting ready to build a 00-18 slot head Martin copy which will be my first acoustic build in many years - hope I'm still up to it. Good luck in your search.
Old 07-11-2017, 03:46 PM

I would strongly suggest checking out German Vasquez, aka G.V. Rubio.

Guitars Int'l is one distributor of his fine guitars (no affiliation here).

-CW
Old 07-11-2017, 03:59 PM

Location: New Zealand, South Island, way down toward the bottom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alohachris View Post
Aloha Friends,

After reviewing all of your suggestions & doing some homework, I've decided to try & make my own nylon string guitar after all. A friend has loaned me his '68 Ramirez to play in the meantime for a little while.

I don't think Port Orford Cedar is what I need either. And I still have a few sets of 85 y.o., even-grained, lots of lace German Spruce (got it in Germany over 40 years ago) & dead-quartered, brick-red Brazilian RW that I got from Lewis/LMI's Hart Huttig in the mid-70's (I think I paid $128/per set, Ha!) So I think it's time that I should use what I've been taking care of for so long, right? Haven't made a classical using those woods since '86. Get those scrapers sharp, alohachris! And just hope my hands hold up.

I want to thank each of you for your thoughts & suggestions in helping me get into a nylon string guitar. I learned a lot in the process & got a lot of info from the links you shared with me. Very grateful for your contributions.

Now, I've gotta get out my old classical drawings & plans & try to remember the classical-building process vs. the steel string process. I'm setting up my shop again. And also, I need work on my right hand technique (mine is sloppy & angled from 53 years of gigging on steel-strings).

Aren't guitars a GAS, guys! Oh, it never ends. It never ends.

Again, thanks for everything!

Mahalo a nui,

alohachris
How's the build coming along? We'd naturally want to see as many pictures as possible, but maybe that's not your MO? Looking forward to hearing how it all works or for you!
Old 10-30-2017, 02:50 PM

Alhambra 8P or above... hard to finde the same class factory guitar
Old 10-30-2017, 04:52 PM

1) Francisco Navarro thru Memorial Music in Huston 2) Kremona
Old 10-30-2017, 09:12 PM

For classical, I like something made in Spain (and some made elsewhere). I have a Prudencio Saez G-3 and it is a beautifully built guitar and has beautiful sound. 2 1/16 nut and 2 5/16 at the saddle. I have bought and sold quite a few classical guitars over the years and this is the best I have found that was not too expensive. OP would probably be interested in one of their higher end guitars. All of their guitars are reasonably priced.

Last edited by guitar george; 10-31-2017 at 09:16 AM. Reason: Corrected model number
Old 10-31-2017, 06:49 AM

Ramirez has some models under your targeted maximum price. The Del Tiempo model is lovely and sounds very good. The neck feels much more substantial, in a good way, compared to Cordoba models. The Ramirez family has been making guitars in Spain since the 1880s. There is also a Cordoba Master series model, the Esteso, that is made in Paracho Mexico, unlike the rest of the Master series models that are USA built It is a petite bodied, full scale, with the standard width neck. I have not seen nor played it, but the few reviews I have seen online seem to demonstrate a very nice tone and quite a lot of volume, not unlike the Master series Torres, which is the nicest Cordoba I have played. And I am a fan of most of the Cordoba models for their quality to price ratio. Doubtless there are many possibilities but these are some I have gotten to play.
Old 10-06-2021, 04:40 PM

Kremona RD S
Old 10-13-2021, 01:33 AM

Location: The California Central Coast, in The Heart of the Chaparral!

Quote:
Aloha,

Longtime & now former pro steel-string player here who now must move to nylon strings for health reasons.

I need recommendations on all-solid-wood nylon string guitars under $3000 - luthier-made (Ha! I know - good luck!) or manufactured. Minimum of 2" nut & 2-3/8" saddle spacings please (huge hands.) No need for on-board electronics. And Please, nothing made anywhere in Asia.

Many AGF players seem to like Cordoba's. But I've never played one that was inspiring at all - at any level - based on the merits of each axe, not name or price. And I never see Island giggers here playing them either. Other brands?

Over the last 45 years, I've made 16 classical guitars on commission for players (& 220 steel-strings). But, none recently. I'm tempted to try & make my own (an all Port-Orford Cedar adventure is beckoning). But at 71, the same neuropathy issues that affect my playing also limit me in the shop as well. It could take years if I finish it at all.

So my brothers, your expert suggestions would be most welcomed by this old timer. Any brand or style of solid-wood nylon string guitars.

Mahalo a nui,

alohachris
Have you tried Hilo Guitars? Ken is a knowledgable guitar, & ukulele guy, who could probably find something you'd like....

Don
Old 10-23-2021, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Aloha,

Longtime & now former pro steel-string player here who now must move to nylon strings for health reasons.

I need recommendations on all-solid-wood nylon string guitars under $3000 - luthier-made (Ha! I know - good luck!) or manufactured. Minimum of 2" nut & 2-3/8" saddle spacings please (huge hands.) No need for on-board electronics. And Please, nothing made anywhere in Asia.

Many AGF players seem to like Cordoba's. But I've never played one that was inspiring at all - at any level - based on the merits of each axe, not name or price. And I never see Island giggers here playing them either. Other brands?

Over the last 45 years, I've made 16 classical guitars on commission for players (& 220 steel-strings). But, none recently. I'm tempted to try & make my own (an all Port-Orford Cedar adventure is beckoning). But at 71, the same neuropathy issues that affect my playing also limit me in the shop as well. It could take years if I finish it at all.

So my brothers, your expert suggestions would be most welcomed by this old timer. Any brand or style of solid-wood nylon string guitars.

Mahalo a nui,

alohachris
I love these guitars ...I've played these guitars, and they're alot cheaper than your budget, and for the price...amazing.... Caro y Topete from Guadalajara....https://guitarrasacusticas.com.mx/ .... https://guitarrasacusticas.com.mx/guitarra-clasica/
Takamine F349, Takamine g340, Yamaha LL6M
'78 Fender Strat
Univox Ultra elec12string
Lute 13 strings
Gibson Les Paul Triumph Bass
Piano, Keyboards, Controllers, Marimba, Dusty Strings harp
Old 10-24-2021, 02:04 PM
Charter Member

This thread is from 2017 and in the middle of it, the OP (a player and a luthier) said he'd decided to build himself one (he had built nylon stringed guitars in the past). But it would be a struggle for health/body condition reasons. I hope it worked out.

John

Martin D-41, Larrivee L-19; Gibson L-130; Taylor 614-ce-L30; R Taylor 2
H&D Custom OM; Bauman 000
Cervantes Crossover I; Kenny Hill 628S;
Rainsong Shorty SGA; CA GX Player, Cargo;
Alvarez AP70; Stella, 12-string; 2 Ukes; Gibson Mandola; Charango, couple electrics
Old 10-27-2021, 08:11 AM

Carvin CL450 (cedar top version) might fit this application pretty well. It is 1 7/8" nut though.
Old 10-18-2022, 12:29 AM

Sorry, but although this thread is very old, I wanted to revive it.
I have had very high-end Spanish classical guitars from Alhambra, such as the Linea Profesional, even a Paco Santiago Marín, one of the best Spanish guitar makers.
After giving up classical guitar for a while, I now wanted to get back into it, but I didn't need a high-end concert guitar.
After searching and searching for a decent solid guitar, I have opted for the Kremona Romida made of cedar. I think it is one of the guitars with the best value for money that exists, at least it cost me only €400 new in a sale. What I don't know is why there, in the US, this guitar costs almost $1200

2023 Loef 00 13 fret
2018 Loef Dread SS 12 fret
1972 Yamaha FG-75 Red Label
2017 Kremona Romida rd-c
Old 10-18-2022, 06:35 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCPO View Post
The best bang for your buck, in my opinion, are the Pavan guitars, especially the TP-30. It is made with all solid woods: a spruce or cedar top and Indian rosewood back & ribs.

http://www.pavanguitars.com/
+1 for Pavan - get a world class instrument and save some $$$. The TP-30 is under $2K but plays and sounds way above it's price point. Check 'em out.
Old 10-19-2022, 08:54 AM

What an odd zombie thread. Everyone is still discussing the best nylon string under $3000, and yet the more interesting question is what became of alohachris' German spruce/Brazilian RW classical build. As far as I can tell he's still active on the forum and just posted yesterday. Alohachris, are you out there?

Martin OM-28 Authentic 1931
Taylor Cocobolo GCce 2008 Fall Limited Edition
Paragon Cocobolo/cedar GOM
Cervantes Signature Rodriguez
Eastman Cabaret JB
Tacoma JM1612C

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical