The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 03-09-2017, 09:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtjohn View Post
Thanks for the help guys. It was a hard decision as they all look so good.
Well, I bit the bullet and have ordered an X20 Artisan in RED with Crystal Ice on the sides & back of the body as well as on the back & sides of the headstock. I also added an Anthem pickup. A woody would be amazing but Trudy & I are half way through building our home so at the moment there are more important pieces of wood to be bought!

Now comes the wait....
Tom Petty once sang, "The wa-ii-ting is the hardest part...."

Congrats on your purchase!!
  • Takamine 2006 Ltd.
  • Takamine EAC48C
  • Takamine ESF40C
  • Tama #3561 Dread
  • Whelan Dreadnought
  • Whelan Grand Auditorium
  • Yamaki YW-80
Old 03-09-2017, 09:20 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thanks for the help guys. It was a hard decision as they all look so good.
Well, I bit the bullet and have ordered an X20 Artisan in RED with Crystal Ice on the sides & back of the body as well as on the back & sides of the headstock. I also added an Anthem pickup. A woody would be amazing but Trudy & I are half way through building our home so at the moment there are more important pieces of wood to be bought!

Now comes the wait....
Congratulations! Good luck with the wait - you probably already have Emerald in your favorites list, so you will have reading material while waiting for the "It has been shipped" notice.

Also, good vibes sent your way for your home building process.

The X20 is a delight.
Old 03-11-2017, 04:11 PM
Guest 1478

Thanks Guys.
Now here's a further bit of news.
Being all excited about my X20 order, I was showing the emerald website to my friend and neighbor Kay who is also planning to do some caravan travelling. She was very impressed and wanted one too! She has ordered an exact copy of mine except in the X7 size. They will be made in the same batch, and shipped together. So a pair of big brother - little sister Emerald twins are soon to be headed to our little corner of the world.
This means we can console each other during the wait for the twins to arrive.

Sean and the crew at Emerald Guitars bent over backwards to make the decision & ordering process hassle free, they looked after Kay and I REALLY well. Thanks Emerald!
Old 03-11-2017, 07:01 PM
Charter Member

Sean is pretty good at that ! I can't comment on the X20 since I don't have one yet, but I would be willing to bet your neighbor will love the X7 ! Congrats to both of you....
Old 03-11-2017, 08:45 PM
Charter Member

Default Me too

Gorgeous guitars. I've got an X20 Opus on the way too.

Steve.....arino

Martin OM-28E
Taylor GC4
Emerald X20 Opus (ETA on or about St. Patricks Day)

Last edited by Steve-arino; 03-11-2017 at 09:40 PM.
Old 03-11-2017, 08:50 PM
Charter Member

I can see where this could be a problem... "Here, play mine and I'll play yours... oh, I like that, too... me, too... I want one like yours, but I also like mine... me, too." On the bright side, you already have a working relationship with Sean at Emerald.

I'm excited for both of you - the X7 and the X20 are great guitars!
Old 03-13-2017, 04:33 AM
Guest 1478

Thanks guys.
Yes Captain, I've been a bit worried about that! I'm guessing there might be an X7 (woody?) in my future. But have to get the house built first. We're building from scratch, even doors & windows. I'm machining up nearly every stick of timber and moulding and forging the steel truss plates and the like. The building is fairly unconventional so it's a long process. I look forward to having a music room.
Old 03-13-2017, 09:34 AM
Guest 928

xt;

Do you have site that shows the creation of your home? It sounds fascinating and a visual chronicle would be nice.
Old 03-14-2017, 02:51 AM
Guest 1478

G'day Evan, we have taken quite a few pics along the way but unfortunately don't have anywhere they can be viewed on the net at the moment. When the house is done and I've built a workshop I will recommence my hobbies as a bladesmith and bird photographer and will then need to get another photo display account to display/sell my pieces/photos. I'll be able to put the house pic series up then.
Cheers...XT.
Old 03-16-2017, 03:12 PM

Quote:
We're building from scratch, even doors & windows. I'm machining up nearly every stick of timber and moulding and forging the steel truss plates and the like. The building is fairly unconventional so it's a long process.
Wow, that's impressive! Did your parents read you to sleep with the Whole Earth Catalog when your were little?

Old 03-16-2017, 03:28 PM
Charter Member

When I order my Emerald X20, it will be Green! That color looks so good!
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 04-07-2017, 02:15 AM
Guest 1478

Well, I succumb to the lure of timber!
After I clearly spent too much time ogling Emerald guitars on the net I talked myself into changing my X20 order to a woody. They do look VERY special!
My reasoning was thus- If this turns out to be a guitar I keep for the rest of my days then the extra cost of getting a woody will average out to very little.
If I decide the guitar is not for me then it might be easier to sell with a nice timber top.
I looked through all of the various timber veneers on the Emerald website but none caught my eye like the quilted maple.
With the rest of the guitar tending to be a darker hue in most lighting conditions I wanted the top to be of a lighter timber so decided on the QM with the amber colour resin.
Once again, Sean at Emerald made changing my order and selecting the timber an easy task.
Old 04-07-2017, 02:20 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
After I clearly spent too much time ogling Emerald guitars on the net I talked myself into changing my X20 order to a woody.
Lol... I just did exactly the same thing on an X7! Hope I made the right choice, but I think I did. Thanks, Sean.
Old 04-07-2017, 04:27 AM

Default Emerald Colors

Regarding the colors of an Emerald guitar, I recently had an interesting experience with this. A few weeks ago I went to a seminar where Billy McLauglin was one of the instructors and the main performer afterwards. I had met Billy a few years earlier and was warming up when Billy arrived. During lunch I talked to him, mentioned my Chimaera, and he said he did notice me playing a black doubleneck. It's a green carbon fiber weave. Depending on how light strikes the instrument, it can somewhat change in the grey level in the color spectrum to appear as being black.

The pics I got from Emerald were spot in in my opinion. But where you go with your instrument the lighting may change it a bit. It's the nature of the carbon weave. I recall someone else at a different event drawn to my Chimaera trying to figure out the color.

Really cool having this. No matter what color you choose it will never be boring.
Old 04-07-2017, 05:08 PM
Guest 1478

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcouStickistNS View Post
he said he did notice me playing a black doubleneck. It's a green carbon fiber weave. Depending on how light strikes the instrument, it can somewhat change in the grey level in the color spectrum to appear as being black.
Yes, this is why I decided on a lighter colour timber and resin. Gives a bit of contrast to the guitar and also allows the figuring of the timber to be seen more easily.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber