The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 10-07-2011, 09:50 PM

Default Taylor NS 32 or Godin Multiac??

Want a nylon string guitar for some rhythm and a bit of flat picking work. I want clear tone and a good neck. I am looking for a crossover since I play acoustic electric most of the time. Not after a classical guitar, just nylon string. What is the best guitar of the two and is the Multiac able to provide the depth of tone that the full body Taylor NS32 provides?

Doug Michaels
Breedlove C25 Custom
Breedlove Passport
Fender 67 strat
Old 10-08-2011, 04:57 AM

Two very different guitars and have played them both and own a Godin Multiac Duet Grand Concert. Acoustically I don't think you'd be happy with the Godin. Plugged in I love the Godin. Both in sound and the way it feels and plays. I never really warmed up to the NS32 even though I had one for a month to play. Sounds good acoustically but not great IMHO. It certainly sounded better unplugged than the Godin however.

Old 10-08-2011, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMan View Post
Two very different guitars and have played them both and own a Godin Multiac Duet Grand Concert. Acoustically I don't think you'd be happy with the Godin. Plugged in I love the Godin. Both in sound and the way it feels and plays. I never really warmed up to the NS32 even though I had one for a month to play. Sounds good acoustically but not great IMHO. It certainly sounded better unplugged than the Godin however.
I agree. I think Godin Multiacs are excellent guitars but they do need to be plugged in. I also agree that Taylor NS guitars, while being electric and acoustic, are a little disappointing unplugged. A really superb crossover acoustic electric nylon string guitar I played recently was the Cordoba Fusion Orchestra Pro. Solid European spruce top, solid rosewood back and sides, and a 1 7/8" nut. I never got to try the electronics but the acoustic sound was great. Street price is $1,199 so it's not too hard on the pocket, either, when compared to Taylors.
Old 10-08-2011, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMan View Post
I have a Godin Multiac Duet Grand Concert. I'll second this. It's surprisingly loud for a chambered body but it's just enough to practice on. If you want any depth of tone then just go with a Takamine acoustic electric classical or the Taylor. I have a NS72ce and it sounds bright and punchy for a cedar topped guitar, not sure how the 32 sounds. It's good for some quick and plucky latin tones. For something more traditional I reach to my Takamine TH5C.

One word of warning though: The Taylor NS guitars all sound best with the default extra-hard tension to move that top. That's why it's setup for those strings.
Old 10-08-2011, 09:20 AM

I did part of a show with an NS-32 last night. When it is eq'd right it is an awesome guitar. Can't chime in on the Godin. I do have a friend who has a Godin and it is tasty plugged in. Tough decision...
95 Washburn D-51SW Apache
03 Taylor NS-32CE
05 Kenny Hill Rodriguez
Couple of random Teles, Strats, and beaters.

"...It don't seem like much but it is. I'm Dirt Rich."
Old 10-08-2011, 10:32 AM

I have the NS32 and it has been a great guitar. It seems to respond very well to the way you play it. Depending on how hard it is picked or strum you can get a wide range of dynamics. I have played it both fingerstyle and with a pick when I wanted to get a Willie Nelson or Zac Brown vibe and it sounded nice to my ears using both of these techniques. The 32's body shape and neck are very conformable and pretty familiar if you come from a steel string background.

I have no experience with the Godin.
Old 10-08-2011, 04:55 PM

I've owned my Multiac Nylon for quite a few years and it is a great guitar. I've played the Taylors in stores quite a bit.. I like it as well, but there is now way I would trade my Godin for a Taylor NS anything!! My Godin is the Multiac Nylon Dual Chambered model with a 1 7/8 inch nut. The Multiac ACS models are heavier because they don't have the chambering and are almost silent unless plugged in i.e. solid body electric... I wouldn't consider the Multiac Grand Concert a crossover guitar because of it's 2 inch nut.
My 2 cents..
Old 10-08-2011, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbbambino View Post
I've owned my Multiac Nylon for quite a few years and it is a great guitar. I've played the Taylors in stores quite a bit.. I like it as well, but there is now way I would trade my Godin for a Taylor NS anything!! My Godin is the Multiac Nylon Dual Chambered model with a 1 7/8 inch nut. The Multiac ACS models are heavier because they don't have the chambering and are almost silent unless plugged in i.e. solid body electric... I wouldn't consider the Multiac Grand Concert a crossover guitar because of it's 2 inch nut.
My 2 cents..
This is very helpful. I failed to mention, I only play plugged in, never unplugged so I don't really need the body resonance unless it helps me plugged in. I also failed to mention I cannot drive to my local Godin dealer and try one easily due to where I live. Appreciate the feedback. What is that dual chambered model that was mentioned by rbbambino? Model name?
Old 10-08-2011, 09:54 PM

Shameless plug for a Godin Multitac listed below. It's a great guitar. I'm just a steel player.

come to one of our shows just east of Atlanta!
http://mikeandkayte.com
Old 10-09-2011, 09:13 AM

Default NS32 vs Godin

I've had both. The NS32 is a good sounding acoustic guitar which gives you the option for using a mic which, needless to say, is much better than piezos. If you need to be plugged in the NS32 electronics are very quacky. The Multiac is better and stands up pretty well with a band at volume but still has that piezo quack. If you are using a guitar for recording the NS32 with mics is the way to go.

Here is a recording I made with the Godin plugged in with lots of notch filtering to remove some of the quack:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5yqpfeJ7cE

Here is a recording I made with the NS32 using a single Rode M3 mic:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8AUWLe4Hxs

I have replaced those guitars with a Blackbird Rider Nylon which gives me the best of both worlds. It's better the Multiac plugged in and is awesome acoustically through a mic. Here is a mic'ed recording of the Blackbird:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rti4Aa0H6dE

Hope this helps,

Chris
Old 10-09-2011, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by screvenc View Post
I've had both. The NS32 is a good sounding acoustic guitar which gives you the option for using a mic which, needless to say, is much better than piezos. If you need to be plugged in the NS32 electronics are very quacky. The Multiac is better and stands up pretty well with a band at volume but still has that piezo quack. If you are using a guitar for recording the NS32 with mics is the way to go.

Here is a recording I made with the Godin plugged in with lots of notch filtering to remove some of the quack:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5yqpfeJ7cE

Here is a recording I made with the NS32 using a single Rode M3 mic:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8AUWLe4Hxs

I have replaced those guitars with a Blackbird Rider Nylon which gives me the best of both worlds. It's better the Multiac plugged in and is awesome acoustically through a mic. Here is a mic'ed recording of the Blackbird:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rti4Aa0H6dE

Hope this helps,

Chris
Love your playing on the second piece. Could not access the first one. It said the video was 'private'. Would love to hear it though, the one of the Godin. Thanks for the feedback. I play thru the untimate eq/preamp, the Pendulum SPS-1 which gives unlimited equalizing and removing of quack.
Old 10-09-2011, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Michaels View Post
Love your playing on the second piece. Could not access the first one. It said the video was 'private'. Would love to hear it though, the one of the Godin. Thanks for the feedback. I play thru the untimate eq/preamp, the Pendulum SPS-1 which gives unlimited equalizing and removing of quack.
That third piece you play with the Blackbird Rider is awesome. Your playing is so so clean and also very powerful and dynamic. Thanks for the listen and the advice.
Old 10-09-2011, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Michaels View Post
Ooops sorry. Try again. I switched it to public.
Old 10-09-2011, 09:51 PM

[QUOTE=screvenc;2788068]I've had both. The NS32 is a good sounding acoustic guitar which gives you the option for using a mic which, needless to say, is much better than piezos. If you need to be plugged in the NS32 electronics are very quacky. /QUOTE]

I got tired of the quacky piezo sound of my NS32 and installed a McIntyre CT-400 contact piezo under the top. It has much more acoustic sound now. No battery or preamp needed (and I can put it back to stock in about 10 minutes).
Old 10-10-2011, 04:21 AM

One of the problems with the Godin Multiac guitar is that you cannot just make a blanket statement about their sound without specifying the model you are talking about. There are many models with many different PU systems in them. Not to mention all the different body types!! The most common pickup used in them is the rmc PUs, which are somewhat quacky... as mentioned. Then there is the Fishman digital processing PUs used on the Ambiance series.. Then there is the Godin (homegrown) PUs used on the Encore series.. and a couple more.. The body construction is either dual chambered mahogany or solid mahogany... it could have a spruce top or a cedar top.. etc. etc.. The options are many and varied, so it is best to try and play what you are thinking of buying and since you have stated that you are not close to a Godin dealer, you might have a problem with that. Whatever you buy, you should be able to return it, because you might not like it and that goes for any guitar you might buy.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical