The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-24-2017, 11:15 AM

Default Mid 60's gibsons any warnings?

Hello everyone. I'm being lured in by some mid 60's Gibsons I'm seeing at a price I could do. For example, 1965 southern jumbo.

Are there any concerns to be on the lookout for? Are there any inherent problems with this era in Gibson acoustics?

Thx.
Old 07-24-2017, 11:30 AM

Son and I own a 65 Southern Jumbo. It was my first guitar, purchased new.

Ours has the undesirable (for many) 1 9/16 nut. Takes me all of less than a minute to "adjust" to from wider spacings, so I don't mind it at all. Actually, I find it a fun size....barre chords are way easy, but I wouldn't prefer this size, otherwise.

We did have the adjustable bridge/saddle removed and replaced with a compensated bone saddle. The difference...improved sound is amazing. Those original parts weigh a lot. Some say that set-up as original is fine, but not with ours. It now has a wonderful Gibson sound. BTW, until I found this site I'd never have known about this option.

I know of no other "inherent" concerns or problems with this era. For sentimental and other reasons, we'd never let this one go.

Some wonderful guitars
Old 07-24-2017, 11:42 AM

Plenty, some have the smaller nut, 1 9/16 not as desirable, not all have this but many do. Watch out for plastic bridges, not good at all. They warp and cause added problems. Also the adjustable ceramic saddles, the tone is not as desirable as a fixed or standard saddle. Some like them but I don't. Make sure none of the tuner shafts aren't bent, could cause you to replace them. All these are added costs that many have dealt with in the past. Make sure there are no loose braces inside the guitar, also can be costly.
Old 07-24-2017, 12:33 PM

Well, I would warn you against Mel Gibson, but he's only 61.
Old 07-24-2017, 12:49 PM
Guest316

Default Mid 60's gibsons any warnings?

Yes, actually from Gibson itself. Quoting their website, which details a history of Gibson acoustics (http://www.gibson.com/News-Lifestyle...c-story.aspx):
Quote:
Sales of Gibson’s Jumbos and smaller L Series flat-tops (now ‘LG’ for ‘little guitar’) ticked along nicely, but just when the competition was capitalizing on the folk boom of the late 1950s and early ’60s, Gibson executives decided to “upgrade” many models in ways that would ultimately only make them less desirable both to players and collectors. This seemingly pointless decline in design integrity persisted through portions of three decades. A height-adjustable bridge fitted to many flat-tops in 1957 served mainly just to deaden these instruments’ tonal response, while other efforts to strengthen tops further choked off acoustic resonance. In 1971, Gibson — now under new owners Ecuadorian Company Ltd (ECL), soon renamed Norlin — began doubling its X-bracing to create sturdier, but tonally dead soundboards. Meanwhile, Gibson’s gradual move from Kalamazoo to Nashville, TN, was underway. Norlin had opened offices in Nashville in 1970, followed by some manufacturing facilities in 1974. In 1984 Gibson production left the Kalamazoo plant entirely. By this time, however, Norlin was running into difficulties. Rather than the signaling the death of the 100-year-old brand, however, the impending change probably saved Gibson entirely. A team of friends who had met at Harvard Business School applied their studies to the ailing company, trimmed and refined it, and soon was seeing a profit. The new owners turned their attention first to electric guitar production in Nashville, but soon established a plan to bring Gibson acoustic guitars back to their former glory.
There are a lot of people, however, that own Gibson acoustics from that era that love them. Although the trend during that time was towards lower quality, these guitars need to be tried individually before approval or rejection.
Old 07-24-2017, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoePa and Son View Post
Son and I own a 65 Southern Jumbo. It was my first guitar, purchased new.

Ours has the undesirable (for many) 1 9/16 nut. Takes me all of less than a minute to "adjust" to from wider spacings, so I don't mind it at all. Actually, I find it a fun size....barre chords are way easy, but I wouldn't prefer this size, otherwise.

We did have the adjustable bridge/saddle removed and replaced with a compensated bone saddle. The difference...improved sound is amazing. Those original parts weigh a lot. Some say that set-up as original is fine, but not with ours. It now has a wonderful Gibson sound. BTW, until I found this site I'd never have known about this option.

I know of no other "inherent" concerns or problems with this era. For sentimental and other reasons, we'd never let this one go.
I'am with JoePa on the nut width ...I have a J-50 with 1 9/16 and have no issue going back and forth from 1 11/16 or 1 3/4 back to 1 9/16 ...i also replaced the adj. bridge & bridge plate.
Composit Acoustics Vintage Performer
2017 Emerald X20 Opus
Old 07-24-2017, 01:27 PM

Like JoePa, we've replaced the adjustable bridge on the Hummingbird with a solid bridge and bone saddle. Tremendous improvement in how it sounds.

Some Gibsons from the 60's have a "2" or "2nd" stamped on the back of the headstock. Supposedly they were considered factory seconds.

Guitars:

1910's Larson/Stetson 1 size guitar
1920 Martin 1-28
1987 Martin Schoenberg Soloist
2006 Froggy Bottom H-12 Deluxe
2016 Froggy Bottom L Deluxe
2021 Blazer and Henkes 000-18 H
2015 Rainsong P12
2017 Probett Rocket III
2006 Sadowsky Semi Hollow
1993 Fender Stratocaster

Bass: 1993 Sadowsky NYC 5 String
Mandolin: Weber Bitterroot
Old 07-24-2017, 01:59 PM
Charter Member

Try a '63 if you can find one at a decent price. '65 is when things got weird.

1946 Epiphone Deluxe
2018 Gerundino Hijo Negra
2019 Gerundino Hijo Blanca
2021 MJT VTJ
2021 McPherson Sable
2022 Antonio Raya Ferrer Negra
2022 Eastman Romeo LA
2023 Peerless Gigmaster SC
Old 07-24-2017, 02:05 PM

Good stuff to know. Y'all never fail to bring the goods.
Old 07-24-2017, 07:41 PM

1965 is NOT when things got weird, I don't know what Rob W is talking about but he obviously does not know what he's talking about. The adjustable bridges started in the late 1950s and so did the smaller nuts, so the craziness did start in the late 1950s, much earlier than 1965,,,,oh brother!
Old 07-24-2017, 07:49 PM

Glad to see al the warnings here. The guitars vary by year and are inconsistent within years. Many have terrible, anti-tonal features and are often overbuilt and/or overfinished. Some of the colors used can be garish. All that being said, there are some truly wonderful instruments n this mix, so it depends on the specific guitar -- not the model; the individual guitar -- and what you're looking for. Though it is rare for any of these Gibsons to be anything like a decent Martin, acoustically, as rhythm guitars, recording guitars, and singer-songwriter backing guitars, they can be terrific because they lack booming low end, and do not have the complexity of overtones found in Martins. The Beatles and tom Petty, to name two greats, used Gibsons of this era often, to great effect. As some note, some of the more ridiculous features, like the deplorable bridges and saddles, can be remediated, though at no little cost. Good luck! I'm into my third decade of trying to find a decent old Dove. No luck so far!
Old 07-24-2017, 08:12 PM

Myself and 3 friends had mid 60's Gibson J-45's. All were great acoustic guitars.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 07-24-2017, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Stone View Post
Yes, actually from Gibson itself. Quoting their website, which details a history of Gibson acoustics
LG does not stand for "Little Guitar." The "L" designation, as the blurb notes, had been used as a series designation for decades. The "G" stood for Gut String as the LGs had the same body specs as Gibson's classical guitars.

Last edited by zombywoof; 07-24-2017 at 09:34 PM.
Old 07-24-2017, 11:06 PM
Guest316

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
LG does not stand for "Little Guitar." The "L" designation, as the blurb notes, had been used as a series designation for decades. The "G" stood for Gut String as the LGs had the same body specs as Gibson's classical guitars.
Well, you'll have to take that up with Gibson - it was a direct quote from their website.
Old 07-25-2017, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Stone View Post
Well, you'll have to take that up with Gibson - it was a direct quote from their website.
I am half-surprised Gibson did not say LG stood for "Ladies Guitar."

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion