The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-24-2017, 02:19 PM
Charter Member

buy the one you like!

But I would recommend trying smaller body guitars. Sooooo much more comfortable.

if I had around 3k I'd be tempted with a santa cruz 1929 00.
E-guitars: Turner Model 1, Fender Strat
Banjo: Gretsch
ukes: TK1, Harmony Smeck, banjo-uke
Old 07-24-2017, 04:20 PM

I front a classic rock cover band and my main guitar is a J-45 with K&K pure mini pick-up. I use body rez and the XLR preamp direct into the house/PA. I don't think you can go wrong with either the Gibson or Martin. What I feel more strongly about is the idea of buying used, which I am in favor of. Particularly if you are going to be playing out, I would definitely go used. My Gibson has sustained so many "injuries" that it would make me sick if it were new. I live in Texas and constantly playing out in the heat etc. One time the wind blew it off a stand during a break and broke the head stock clean off.

Another idea would be to buy a Martin as your home guitar and an Epiphone Masterbuilt (which is my back-up) if you are going to be in a harsh environment. I have a Taylor 810 that I don't play in the band, but use at church. But I would rank that 3rd to the Gibson & Martin.

'94 Strat
'05 Taylor 810
'05 Gibson J45
'07 Epiphone Masterbilt AJ500M
Old 07-24-2017, 06:37 PM

I would go used but something that has been very well taken care of. Maybe you can get your two favourites that way.
Old 07-24-2017, 09:31 PM

If you are not dead set on brand blinders, head over to Todd Allison. He's the us rep for Furch guitars. He is only 10 min from CME and has some great guitars. Could go custom or pick up something like this : https://reverb.com/item/5387151-ston...learance-price
Old 07-25-2017, 03:59 PM

$3000 should get you the voice of a god. I wouldn't worry about buying one w/ pre-installed electronics, but use about $500 or so of my budget to buy good elecs & preamp & have them installed.

Used:
-Guilds
-D-18, 16, 15, 28 (there really is no year where those are bad)
-Taylor 500 & 700s
-Larrivees (you can get a cutaway w/ no electronics)
-Yamaha LL26 or vintage "Nippon Gakki" FGs
-Breedlove Premier

New:
-Breedlove Premier & Oregon Dreds
-Yamaha L series
-2016 Gibson J45
-Any Martin w/ VTS, or D-15, or the DCP series
-Taylor 300s, 500s, 600s

Play many, buy what feels/sounds right to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oresti View Post
I haven't had an acoustic guitar for years and I would like to get one. I would be playing classic rock style stuff almost exclusively. Stuff like The Black Crowes, Led Zep, the Stones, etc. I have been looking at Gibson J-45s and Martin D-28s. I have a budget of around $3000. Should I look at new or buy used. I am leaning towards new because of my lack of knowledge of acoustics. If I go for used, is there any years to avoid with those brands? Thanks.

2022 Gibson Banner J-45 Reissue - "Magic"
2014 Lakewood D-32 - "Grace"
2021 Yamaha LL56 - "New Hampshire"
2022 Yamaha LL16 Burst - "Sunny"
2012 Martin HD-28v
2020 Yairi DYM70CE
Breedlove American D25-SREH
1987 Fender F360S-12 string

Old 07-25-2017, 11:29 PM

Look for lightly used, recent year models but be armed with new guitar pricing information when you make your offer. A lot of people like to own different guitars for a short amount of time and the sell to try something new. Reminds me of some Harley motorcycle riders selling after 3,000 miles. Anyway, to give you an idea regarding prices, Guitar Center stores buy used guitars for 60% of what they list them at, generally speaking. And it's well reported that one can buy a new Martin for 40% off MSRP, or 19% off MAP, which is what they are usually marked at in the store. So for example, if a store tries selling you a used HD-28 for $2600, tell them you can get a new one for $2300 and not have to pay taxes on it. And also realize that the store isn't going to pay more for a used guitar than they would a new one and it's also been widely stated that dealer cost is roughly 50% of MSRP.

Thus, if the MSRP on a new guitar is $3900, figure dealer cost on the new one to be around $1950 and on used ones taken in as trades to be less than that.

The reason I suggest used is that you stated you don't yet know what you like, and I imagine it will take some time for you to develop your acoustic tastes. Buying used shifts the biggest value loss (should you later decide to trade it in) away from you to the original owner.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion