The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 05-14-2017, 02:29 AM

I hope you start to feel better today. My thoughts are with you.
Old 05-14-2017, 05:31 AM

Thank you for keeping us up to date on your trials, Silly, and the fact that you still regularly contribute to other threads, despite your problems, you, sir, are an inspiration. Of course, I, too, am praying for a speedy recovery.
Old 05-14-2017, 09:12 AM
Charter Member

May you have comfort in the many supportive fans you have on this forum and know that we're all pulling for you. Be well!
Old 05-14-2017, 11:53 AM
Charter Member

Hi, I had wondered about the wisdom of sharing my illness, but you guys have responded with kindness, support and care that really helps.

It was interesting to observe that when I told the mailing list of my music club, I got a lot of unsubscribes ... interesting but not sure what it says.

The first meeting without me was a poor show, but the second, almost back to normal, and the pub are being very supportive.

As I found out when I left my corporate world in 1993, when I had depression, and heart problems, you discover that some friends ... aren't, and others, who you didn't think were ... are.

Thanks friends,

Ol' Andy
Old 05-14-2017, 11:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
It was interesting to observe that when I told the mailing list of my music club, I got a lot of unsubscribes ... interesting but not sure what it says....
Well, I'm not sure either Silly, but maybe some folks really have a hard time coping with these things even in others. The scariness, the grief, the worry and uncomfortable-ness. Not rationalizing, but some (not all) might still be good friends but for some reason (that no one else will ever know) they got scared away.

They didn't walk away from your friendship, they got scared away.

And some of those still do care.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 05-14-2017, 01:31 PM

"...People are crazy." Once I accept that in myself, I see it more clearly in others. A few are even crazier than I. Okay, one of them is. Just one! Fazool is right, some people refuse to think about any possibility that they might not, in fact, live forever.

cotten
Old 05-14-2017, 01:37 PM
Charter Member

Our thoughts are with you. Hang in there and feel better soon. I'm sure you will.
Old 05-15-2017, 09:07 AM

Andy, I've been thinking of you. Things do turn around. A year ago now my wife was deathly ill with about everything that could go wrong going wrong. She's got some more misery ahead but in the past two weeks she's been riding a bicycle with so much strength I can barely believe the difference between last year and now. A friend pronounced terminally ill at same time has no doubt responded to experimental treatments. He's gone from planning his end to planning his next adventure. I'm counting on you having the same sort of turn around.

Do all you can to have some cheer in the miserable meanwhile!
Old 07-22-2017, 05:25 AM

Hey there mate, how is it going? I'm soon done with my treatments and currently in remission. The last poison cocktail might have messed up my kidneys but things are ok otherwise.

Really hope your treatment is working too and enough is left of you to continue living a good life.

Lowden S25c - The Tool "Flying D" prototype - Heritage Eagle - MJT Thinline Telecaster - Fender CS 56 Stratocaster
Old 07-22-2017, 06:03 AM
Charter Member

Hi Frank, and anybody else interested,

My treatment ended no the 19th May. I was lead to understand the I would have recovered in 2-3 weeks . No way.

It is now nine weeks and I'm only just now starting to suspect some improvements.

I celebrated one IMPORTANT aspect this week - as a true Brit, the most important life giving beverage is - TEA!

So one morning (Monday?) I decided to try one. I made a cup, let it cool to tepid (can't take warmth in my mouth yet).

It was strange but I could taste tea! This, to me is a mighty step forward.

On Wednesday I tried a small glass of orange juice - the drink that for many years my wife had always brought to me in bed every morning. It also tasted good, but stung rather alot.

Still a bit shy of the weight gaining challenge - but have put on 5lbs since May !

I've started playing (instrumentals) with Mando bob again - slowly getting my left hand to work - it seems to remember most stuff, and the callouses are returning.

I've given one lesson and had two or three friends come round - but my voice gets tired and my throat painful after about an hour.

Dear Nanny Jane is making milky "smoothies" to stuff in the calories but they are difficult to swallow.

But as long as they keep giving me NHS morphne patches and liquid paracetemol - I'm coping.

Yesterday I went to my local luthier man with whom I'd left my Waterloo for a set up. He'd done the work nicely but wouldn't take any money. "It's about good Karma" he said. Bless him.

I have a PET-CT-Scan (??) booked for the 8th August and I get the results on the 11th. Then I may know my future.

Genuine thanks to ALL who have sent their thoughts and good wishes - it really does perk an old guy up.

It seems that there has also been a considerable increase in my YouTube Videos - so thanks for that too!

Let us not forget Frank, and the many others on this forum or friends and loved ones - who are quietly but determinedly fighting their own particular health issues.

Despite all, serious illness is a lonely path, and the odd smile, hug, pat on the back .... or electronic message - helps more than you'd think, so, give a thought to whomsoever you might know or know of who is on that path right now - and reach out.

Thanks to all, and Frank
Old 07-23-2017, 08:04 AM

@Silly sorry to hear you have such a rough time. It sure is painful when those body functions we take for granted are disabled. Hope that eases up really soon. Good that you stopped losing weight, the trick now is to find a new balance with limited food options. I used to be a health food and exercise junkie, but that lifestyle won't be possible for some time. Be kind to yourself and search for things you can enjoy now.

Best of luck with the upcoming pet/ct scan, please keep us posted. And thanks for all the kind words!

Lowden S25c - The Tool "Flying D" prototype - Heritage Eagle - MJT Thinline Telecaster - Fender CS 56 Stratocaster

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic