The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 07-20-2017, 06:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
Having said I don't know how to feel about, I'm meaning about the OP thread title strictly about this parole, where I'm trying to separate my view of my distain for the man based on his past guilt (imo). I believe that some very professional people examined the entire matter of the offence for which he has been incarcerated, so even though he's been granted parole where the facts may support it, he could have been kept in a much longer.

One thing I think should have been done in granting parole, the board could have and should have required Simpson to remain in Nevada where the Goldman family has a much better chance of being awarded a good amount of Simpson's financial estate, where it seems that in Florida, there's rules that will prevent it, which in large part is why Simpson took up residence there.
Requiring someone to stay in a state is still a form of punishment. Florida is known as a debtor's haven, and it is the only reason OJ moved here. But the law is th elaw. It's the reason a lot of people move here.
Old 07-20-2017, 07:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmountain View Post
Requiring someone to stay in a state is still a form of punishment. Florida is known as a debtor's haven, and it is the only reason OJ moved here. But the law is th elaw. It's the reason a lot of people move here.
Actually, an article on debt protection in Forbes stated the following:

Nevada
Began allowing trusts: 1999

Protection: A+

Nevada is the most debtor-friendly state. Your assets have to be stashed in the trust for only two years before they’re supposedly safe from future creditors. And unlike other states, Nevada protects your assets from pre-existing tort creditors, a divorcing spouse, alimony and even child support obligations.

Let's be really clear. OJ has been paroled (he is considered to be "on paper") which is still a form of punishment for a crime; it's just that he's serving his sentence outside of the prison. He will remain under the supervision of the Dept. of Corrections, has to follow certain prescribed rules, is subject to unannounced visits by a parole officer, can be immediately violated and sent back to prison to complete the remainder of his sentence (maxing out). I'm not saying "boo-hoo for OJ", but just trying to correct the mistaken notion that he's going free on October 1. With his widespread notoriety in this age of social media, I believe that OJ's every move will be well scrutinized, if not by his PO then certainly by the public.

For those who think that he didn't spend enough time in prison, keep in mind that had he been convicted of 2nd degree murder in Nevada and given a 25 year-life sentence, he still could have come up for parole after serving ten years.

According to Sports Illustrated:

He will be required to meet regularly with a supervising parole officer and submit monthly reports on developments in his life. He’ll face restrictions that he didn’t experience the last time he was free.

For instance, Simpson will be barred from changing his place of residence or travelling outside of the state of Nevada without first obtaining written permission from his supervising officer. If Simpson intends to move to Florida, where he resided prior to his incarceration in 2008, or to another state, he will need the blessing of his supervising officer.

“I don’t think you want me here [in Nevada],” Simpson joked during Thursday’s hearing in regards to his plans following his release. Simpson, however, will need to explain to his supervising officer how his “support system” would work in another state. That is, he’ll need to detail where and with whom he would live and how he would support himself financially.

Along those lines, as a condition of leaving the state, Simpson will need to waive extradition to return to Nevada should he leave the state and the state demands his return.

He’ll also be subject to blood and breath tests for evidence of excessive consumption of alcohol. He’ll also need to immediately notify his supervising officer of obtaining any prescription drugs.

Further, Simpson must accept any reasonable cause searches by a parole officer of his body, car and home. Such searches can be conducted without a warrant and at any time of the day or night. Simpson will also be barred from possessing any kind of weapon and will be ordered to avoid association with individuals who have criminal records.

As a 70-year-old who is eligible for Social Security, Simpson won’t be obligated to seek and maintain employment—which is often required for those on parole. But he’ll be encouraged to keep a regular and productive schedule.

Here’s the most important term: if Simpson were to violate any of the terms of his parole, he would risk being ordered back to prison.
Martin 000-15sm

Last edited by RP; 07-21-2017 at 07:39 AM.
Old 07-20-2017, 08:51 PM

The L.A.P.D. totally botched the murder investigation from the get go.
There were serious racial issues within the force and the entire case became about racism.
The man is a true sociopath and is still very, very dangerous, especially to Nicole's family and the Goldmans.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 07-20-2017, 09:11 PM

I live in Las Vegas and I REALLY hope he goes to Florida!
PJ
Old 07-20-2017, 10:08 PM

Hey All,

Parole is fine - he never murdered Nicole or Ron - his small handed meat cutter mentally disturbed criminal record never investigated as a racist cop wanted OJ son did.

-Ed-

from Blaine Larsen's Song "If Merle Would Sing My Song"
Old 07-20-2017, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photojeep View Post
I live in Las Vegas and I REALLY hope he goes to Florida!
PJ
good timing!

"Wish I had more time to hear your reasons, but I have to go get a beer." 00-28
Old 07-21-2017, 12:25 PM

The law can't hold him in prison for a crime for which he was acquitted (wrongly, rightly or not). He was sentenced to 33 years, eligible for parole at 9. He did his time for the crime for which he was convicted, wasn't a trouble maker, and for that a prisoner gets his parole.

This isn't the USSR ... yet.
Old 07-21-2017, 12:33 PM
Humanist

...the least important news of this century, AFAIAC.
100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists

Steel-string guitars by Rebecca Urlacher and Simon Fay
Classical guitars by Anders Sterner
Old 07-21-2017, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDB View Post
Everybody here is shocked by that as well. We are all waiting for the results of the investigation to know what the hell could have possibly happened.
We already know what happens when police investigate police here.
Old 07-21-2017, 05:34 PM

This has been a big story all week on the local TV news here in SW Florida. Seems Simpson would be moving to Naples provided he gets approval to do so.

The general consensus here is one of either complete indifference or complete disgust.
Old 07-21-2017, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmountain View Post
I've always believed he didn't do it, and I believe that to this day.
I hear they found some authentic lunar green cheese in that sample bag...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic