The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 07-18-2017, 07:14 AM

I've always thought that the guitar in this video sample sounded a bit like mahogany. It was the hybrid construction, paired with the unidirectional top and short scale that led to the purchase of the Shorty.

These guitars do not sound like wood. I haven't heard a carbon fiber guitar that sounds like wood yet, because they're not wood? Having said that the closest that has sounds like wood to my ear is the McPherson Sable. The whole approach to the build of the McPherson guitars is to make them sound more wood-like. I think this was part of Ellis Seal's vision even down to bracing these guitars- not because they need the braces because it alters the tone of the guitar and makes it sound more wood-like.

However, the longer I think about all of this, and the longer I own my RainSong, the less I really care. I love that it has its own unique tonal quality. It sounds like a Rainsong Shorty. Good enough for me.
Old 07-18-2017, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by email4eric View Post
Ted, would that be a custom? Looks like the Hybrid Dreads on the Rainsong site are 14 fret...
Not a custom, you can special order any Hybrid model with a 12-fret NS neck, and currently there is no upcharge.
Old 07-18-2017, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales View Post
Not a custom, you can special order any Hybrid model with a 12-fret NS neck, and currently there is no upcharge.
Wow! Good to know! Thank you.
Old 07-19-2017, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizango1 View Post
I haven't been exposed to many CF guitars but I can say with certainty that my Emerald X20 sounds a lot closer to my J-45TV tone than the tone of my Martins.
It even has that character of the J-45 that makes it easy to sing with.
Yeah! The X20 just makes people around me want to sing. I always thought it was to drown out my poor skill. Maybe not.

My Lucky 13 reminds me of a smallish Gibson, but IMO though the sound is similar the Lucky 13 is the better guitar to have. The X20 just gives a good solid guitar sound. Reminds me of something I played a while back, but I can't put my finger on it at the moment. I don't think it was a Taylor or Martin, but it could have been a larger Gibson.

PS If you don't want to invest in yourself, why should anyone else even bother to try?
Old 07-19-2017, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mot View Post
Yeah! The X20 just makes people around me want to sing. I always thought it was to drown out my poor skill. Maybe not.

My Lucky 13 reminds me of a smallish Gibson, but IMO though the sound is similar the Lucky 13 is the better guitar to have. The X20 just gives a good solid guitar sound. Reminds me of something I played a while back, but I can't put my finger on it at the moment. I don't think it was a Taylor or Martin, but it could have been a larger Gibson.
I think part of the trouble is the J-45 or the Gibson sound is always a bit of a moving target. I took my 1967 J-45 into Guitar Center a couple of years ago and compared it to their current offering. Didn't really sound the same, built totally differently, inside. But both made me want to sing so there both Gibsons.
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom

Last edited by Doubleneck; 07-19-2017 at 03:40 PM.
Old 07-28-2017, 02:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales View Post
With all due respect, the x20 is about as far from the tone of my J45 as a CF guitar can get. The El Capitan actually sounds a lot like the Collings SJ, so again not like a J45 or HB. The Blackbird Lucky 13 does have a vintage Gibson vibe, but again nothing like a J45 or Hummingbird.

Were I trying to get close to the J45 or HB, I would look to the Rainsong full Hybrid dreadnought, preferably with the 12-fret short scale neck.
Ted, Do you mean the Bluegrass model Rainsong was making? I saw videos of this Dreadnaught guitar and the whole body was made of unidirectional carbon fiber and it had a shorter scale neck and it sounded incredible. I really couldn't tell it wasn't wood. I have a CO DR1100 and I love it as well but I think the Bluegrass Rainsong was the best ever. Any idea where to get one??
Old 07-28-2017, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishanthem View Post
Ted, Do you mean the Bluegrass model Rainsong was making? I saw videos of this Dreadnaught guitar and the whole body was made of unidirectional carbon fiber and it had a shorter scale neck and it sounded incredible. I really couldn't tell it wasn't wood. I have a CO DR1100 and I love it as well but I think the Bluegrass Rainsong was the best ever. Any idea where to get one??
No, I'm referring the ability to order any Rainsong with the 12-Fret short scale NS neck.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber