The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 07-08-2017, 08:02 AM

Default Pedals used in this song

Can somebody please tell me what pedals this musician is using for his tone, his amp settings, etc.?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVLadCqRShA

p.s. If this is not the appropriate forum for this question, sorry. If somebody could please direct me to where this type of question is permissible I'd appreciate it.

Last edited by Rayman; 07-08-2017 at 08:10 AM.
Old 07-08-2017, 11:12 AM

I hear a good quality delay pedal in there, after a distortion. One of two directions we can go here.

A: he's running a nice distortion pedal into a delay, into his amp (or even a modeler).

B: he's using an amp with a drive/lead channel and an effects loop, feeding the delay pedal with the effects loop.

I'm leaning towards A. Whichever route he's using would lead to quite different amp settings.

C: his entire rig is a quality modeler like an AxeFX or Kemper, in which case the sky's the limit.

Acoustics
2013 Guild F30 Standard
2012 Yamaha LL16
2007 Seagull S12
1991 Yairi DY 50

Electrics
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Am. Standard Telecaster
Gibson ES-335
Gibson Firebird
Old 07-08-2017, 11:19 AM

No. There are too many possibilities. Twenty different amps would have different settings. No way to know if the effects are built-in to the amp or pedals or a combination.....
Old 07-08-2017, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintj View Post
I hear a good quality delay pedal in there, after a distortion. One of two directions we can go here.

A: he's running a nice distortion pedal into a delay, into his amp (or even a modeler).

B: he's using an amp with a drive/lead channel and an effects loop, feeding the delay pedal with the effects loop.

I'm leaning towards A. Whichever route he's using would lead to quite different amp settings.

C: his entire rig is a quality modeler like an AxeFX or Kemper, in which case the sky's the limit.
Thank you very much. Your reply is extremely helpful.
Old 07-08-2017, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManyMartinMan View Post
No. There are too many possibilities. Twenty different amps would have different settings. No way to know if the effects are built-in to the amp or pedals or a combination.....
Thank you for your reply. I've been fiddling with tone just long enough to understand exactly what you are talking about, the problem with countless variables and all. I was just hoping that somebody with a great deal more experience than I, with a good ear and knowledge of effects might help pointing me in the right direction.
Old 07-08-2017, 02:00 PM

I would contact Ely and ask him. http://elyjaffe.com/contact.php
Old 07-08-2017, 05:13 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by We Walk in Song View Post
I would contact Ely and ask him. http://elyjaffe.com/contact.php
That is a very good suggestion. I asked that question in the comment section below the video lesson hoping that he or somebody browsing comments might respond with no luck. But I think that I'll just ask him directly. Maybe I'll get lucky. Thanks for the link.
Old 07-08-2017, 05:43 PM

Default Facebook vid

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wqVvdgneu9g

Wouldn't surprise me if he's using Logic with his Fender amp. I wish Apple would make a hardware pedal of their multipressor effect.
Old 07-08-2017, 06:19 PM

Thank you for that link.
Old 07-09-2017, 07:19 AM
Charter Member

Couple of observations

Yes number of possible variables is pretty large
But I would agree it sounds to me like a distortion/drive into a delay.

Also just to be clear note that in the video in the OP, from 2012 , he is in either in a pro quality commercial, or project, or outstanding home studio .
From 50 seconds on

In this vid from 2017 he is in his own home studio, and there is very little reason to assume any relationship between the equipment he has in his home studio, and the tone he was getting in the OP video.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1

Last edited by KevWind; 07-09-2017 at 11:50 AM.
Old 07-09-2017, 01:12 PM
Charter Member

Alternately, you can learn the lost art of using your guitars volume knob and PU selector like this fellow and get 2M views instead of 70K. There is a delay on here (sounds like an El Capistan), but everything that makes this great is coming from the instrument and his picking dynamics to vary the overdrive and harmonic content of the notes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ehGIYyjVDs

'79 Yamaha CJ-838S, '03 Martin D-41, '03 Taylor 600 SPEC, '99 Taylor 714, '08 Gibson J45R, '01 G & L Legacy

Last edited by MattM; 07-09-2017 at 01:19 PM.
Old 07-09-2017, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattM View Post
Alternately, you can learn the lost art of using your guitars volume knob and PU selector like this fellow and get 2M views instead of 70K. There is a delay on here (sounds like an El Capistan), but everything that makes this great is coming from the instrument and his picking dynamics to vary the overdrive and harmonic content of the notes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ehGIYyjVDs
Thank you for your reply. I asked Ely directly what he used. He said that it was Strat into a jakyl and hyde overdrive into a Fender amp and mixed by his engineer. And from my limited experience I would say he is an accomplished guitarist.
Old 07-09-2017, 04:35 PM

Sounds like some compression going on there as well. I think a lot of that tone is the Strat itself too.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars