The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 06-15-2017, 01:50 AM

Default Identify an old archtop?

https://goo.gl/photos/mBfN4b2uj7cKtCdq7

Found this in a bin at the recycling centre , headstock is broken off but repairable. Has interesting features , f-holes without the cross pieces , 5 tongue trapeze , the headstock shape. It's not very low grade , the fretboard is rosewood and fretting nicely done , with simple inlay .Body is only bound on the top and the headstock is painted black although that looks so cheap it may be a later addition , would also explain why theres no identifying marks or label , not even a shadow in the finish. It is full acoustic depth , fixed trussrod and very chunky neck profile.
I suspect it's just one of those mid- range guitars from France or Italy or Germany and I'll never know - but thought I'd just see if it rings a bell with anyone.

Last edited by olioli; 06-15-2017 at 02:40 AM. Reason: photos
Old 06-15-2017, 03:40 AM
Charter Member

It is probably a budget level East German pressed top guitar. Frankly I doubt that it would ever sound very good.
Old 06-15-2017, 08:54 AM

It looks like a budget model Framus (West German). You can look through their models on this site:

http://www.framus-vintage.de/modules/site/site.php
Old 06-15-2017, 10:54 AM

The tailpiece looks like the back of a lawn chair..
Old 06-15-2017, 11:09 AM

http://www.framus-vintage.de/modules...EN&katID=4628#

Look at the tailpiece on the guitar in the right hand black and white photo on the main banner of the page. The exact same as yours. Only difference is the fretboard inlays. Framus for sure.

Brian
Old 06-15-2017, 11:34 AM

dp........
Old 06-15-2017, 01:39 PM

Thanks Brian , I think you have hit the spot there. Nice to know , I have another better quality Framus roundhole I replaced the ply top with a spruce one and it sounds great , so it will have a companion!
Old 06-15-2017, 01:40 PM

Default Re archtop id.

I think Brian has shown it will be a Framus- thanks to everyone for your replies and help.
Oli
Old 06-15-2017, 01:43 PM

Hi , yes you're right , saw Brian's post first , he has an image from this site shows one v similar. Thanks for your help.
Oli

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops