The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Events and New Releases

Old 07-21-2017, 10:12 AM
Charter Member

Default Gordon Lightfoot Came To Charlottesville, VA!!!

I just learned and got my tickets to see Gordon Lightfoot here in Charlottesville. http://www.theparamount.net/event/go...-legend-lives/ I'm a longtime Gordon Lightfoot fan, but haven't seen him perform since the 1980s. Not to be maudlin, but you never know when it will be this guy's last performance. I've heard his more recent stuff and know that his voice is very different following his medical issues in 2002-03, but I'm still very excited....
Martin 000-15sm

Last edited by RP; 09-26-2017 at 09:02 AM.
Old 07-22-2017, 10:58 AM
Anticipation Junkie

A few weeks ago, Gordon Lightfoot briefly played at our 150th July 1st Canada Day celebration at Parliament Hill in Ottawa. I love his music and recently have been watching some old vids and (re)learning his songs. I've been hearing about his decline for some time, and unfortunately it seems true.....he looks like death warmed over and his voice is shot. It was painful to watch and hear. I'm all for such iconic artists carrying-on even when there is some noticeable decline (often for their love of performing, not the money), but Gordon's status is such that I'm afraid he should pack it in. I hope my observation doesn't play out when you see him, but be prepared for a less than stellar performance. Please report back after the concert. I'll really be hoping I am wrong.
Old 07-22-2017, 11:04 AM

Saw him at the Murat Theater here several years ago, before his illness. He and the band did a great show. They give you your money's worth.
Charter Member

Tom: I kind of had the same feeling and did not opt to see him perform at the Birchmere in Northern Virginia for the reasons you named. It's hard to explain; but being a long time fan, having seen him perform several times in his prime, I felt a sense of duty, shall we say, since he would be performing in my hometown....
Martin 000-15sm

Last edited by RP; 07-22-2017 at 11:20 AM.
Charter Member

That's great news!
Old 07-22-2017, 05:10 PM
Charter Member

I saw him last year and while he is barely a shadow of his former self, it was still an entertaining evening. It was a pleasure to see him up on the stage stirring up old memories and enjoying himself. I didn't go see him when he came around again this year. But it was fun and I'm glad I went. Good for him (and us).
Old 07-22-2017, 05:36 PM

I saw him in San Antonio about three years ago. His voice is gone. Doesn't sound anything like him. It was a waste of money and time, unfortunately.
Old 08-04-2017, 12:24 AM

I'll chime in on this one. Saw him this past Monday at the Fraze Pavilion in Kettering (a Dayton suburb). It was a great show, imho. Yeah, he's 78 years old. Yeah, he looks it. Yeah, his voice ain't what it was when I saw him 35 years ago. Yeah, he does abbreviated versions of some tunes (he even jokes about "less important" songs).Yeah, at one point he turned his back to do some kind of breathing treatment, but that's even part of his act now (you'll see). But, to me, his voice is aged like wine doing songs that have aged right along with his audience. He seemed to be having a lot of fun and interacted w/the crowd quite a bit. Including the intermission the show ran about 2 hours. I got excited when the stage hand brought out his D 18; felt like even that was seeing a celebrity...still has Rick Haynes on bass, same drummer and keyboardist, new-ish guitarist (replacing the late Terry Clements).
Bottom line is I was glad I went and hope you will be too...enjoy!
If you will, post a follow-up...

Last edited by Cabarone; 09-26-2017 at 10:56 PM.
Old 08-26-2017, 07:49 AM

Looking forward to reading his biography which should be out shortly.

Huge fan.
Old 08-29-2017, 06:49 PM

He was the inspiration in my life to pick up a guitar. Really, once I heard him, and a few others around that time, (James Taylor, Crosby, Still, Nash) that was it.
Old 09-26-2017, 07:24 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabarone View Post
...It was a great show, imho. Yeah, he's 78 years old. Yeah, he looks it. Yeah, his voice ain't what it was when I saw him 35 years ago. Yeah, he does abbreviated versions of some tunes (he even jokes about "less important" songs).Yeah, at one point he turned his back to do some kind of breathing treatment, but that's even part of his act now (you'll see). But, to me, his voiced is aged like wine doing songs that have aged right along with his audience. He seemed to be having a lot of fun and interacted w/the crowd quite a bit. Including the intermission the show ran about 2 hours....Bottom line is I was glad I went and hope you will be too...enjoy! If you will, post a follow-up...
Cabarone summed up my feelings about last night's concert very nicely. I went to see him perform knowing full well that his voice would be different, but I wasn't prepared for his gaunt appearance. However, at the risk of sounding trite, I went to honor the lifetime performances of a man whose music has meant so much to me as a guitar player and a fan. The only thing I'd add is that I had the great fortune to procure front row seats. This was really cool, and the music was such that the sound was not overpowering. I sat about five feet away from GL, and when he returned after intermission, he veered toward where I was sitting. I reached out to shake his hand, and he reciprocated. I'll never wash my right hand - it's the one that Gordon Lightfoot shook.....

Martin 000-15sm
Old 09-26-2017, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
Cabarone summed up my feelings about last night's concert very nicely. I went to see him perform knowing full well that his voice would be different, but I wasn't prepared for his gaunt appearance. However, at the risk of sounding trite, I went to honor the lifetime performances of a man whose music has meant so much to me as a guitar player and a fan. The only thing I'd add is that I had the great fortune to procure front row seats. This was really cool, and the music was such that the sound was not overpowering. I sat about five feet away from GL, and when he returned after intermission, he veered toward where I was sitting. I reached out to shake his hand, and he reciprocated. I'll never wash my right hand - it's the one that Gordon Lightfoot shook.....

That's great...from all I've read he's been in fine voice this go-round...

I too last saw him in the '80's and was not expecting the same performer, either...but I sure wasn't disappointed...

He's got shows in Lexington and Ashland, Ky. coming up, but premium seats are $2000...that's insane, big a fan as I am...
Old 09-27-2017, 06:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabarone View Post
That's great...from all I've read he's been in fine voice this go-round...

I too last saw him in the '80's and was not expecting the same performer, either...but I sure wasn't disappointed...

He's got shows in Lexington and Ashland, Ky. coming up, but premium seats are $2000...that's insane, big a fan as I am...
Wow! All of a sudden my $74 front row seats don't seem so expensive....
Martin 000-15sm
Old 10-03-2017, 08:53 PM
Anticipation Junkie

I'm really glad you were pleased with Lightfoot's performance. Actually, I'm quite surprised given how bad he sounded during his country's 150th celebration this past July 1st. I shouldn't be too hard on him though...not his fault, I guess.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Events and New Releases