The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-04-2010, 07:50 PM

Default Martin Performing Artist Series

Has anyone played these yet? I tried one out at guitar center and was blown away. Played and sounded like a dream. I sat there for 3 hours playing it, lol.
Now I just need 3 grand.

This is the one I played....
http://www.mguitar.com/guitars/choos...s&g=F&m=GPCPA1
Epiphone MM-30
Italia Maranello Speedster
Old 07-04-2010, 07:55 PM
Charter Member

Are those the same dimensions as a Taylor GA? Looks like it could be called a Marlor to me!
2022 Gibson J-45 Studio Rosewood
2020 Cordoba C12 SP
2018 K. Yairi DYM60HD
2013 Martin 000-28VS
2011 Taylor GS Mini
Old 07-04-2010, 07:59 PM
Charter Member

I played one briefly at a Sam Ash. I was impressed--seemed like a "modern" guitar from Martin. Have to agree with previous post--did have a bit of a Taylor vibe. But to my ear I liked it a little better than most Taylor's I've played.
Old 07-04-2010, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnzias View Post
Are those the same dimensions as a Taylor GA? Looks like it could be called a Marlor to me!
It does...the guys at GC called it a Martin Taylor...lol. They all love it though.
Epiphone MM-30
Old 07-05-2010, 01:15 AM

maybe the one i played the other day was a dud, but I didn't like it at all. i was expecting to since I had played a d16gte the day before and i had heard it was a similar but better instrument. i liked the d16gte better and much preferred the Taylor GS and Martin standards i played that day.
Old 07-05-2010, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gameover98 View Post
maybe the one i played the other day was a dud, but I didn't like it at all. i was expecting to since I had played a d16gte the day before and i had heard it was a similar but better instrument. i liked the d16gte better and much preferred the Taylor GS and Martin standards i played that day.
You must of got a dud, I tried out the d16gte while I was there, it was good, but no where near the performing artist series.
Epiphone MM-30
Old 07-05-2010, 05:41 AM

I was interested until I saw the price tag. Wouldn't mind trying one though.
Old 07-05-2010, 05:42 AM

The jury is still out for me.

I've played two and I didn't have to have them which surprised me as I love my OMC-Aura and though this would be the "next big thing".

As someone with a bunch of high end Martins and over 6 years with the OMC-Aura stage time here are my thoughts...............

The GP body, new to Martin, the other new Auras are OM and Dread bodies, certainly has a different voicing than traditional Martins, unfortunately that's a bad thing to me, I love vintage voicing and do not care for modern voiced guitars, so the voicing loses me a little. I absolutely hate the pickguard, were I to buy one I would have the store remove it before I bought, to me it is hideous.

The on board electronics. My Aura has served me well, and now being 60 the proximity of the controls is a plus to these old eyes, I have to focus through trifocals to see floor pedals but..............

I'm looking at the Perfroming Artists because Fishman has a newer greater Aura out, my OMC-Aura has last generation electronics, and in 5 years that will happen again, and again. So despite the convenience of onboard electronics you are also guaranteeing obsolescence down the road, therein lies the value of the same electronics in a pedal. And, guitars get better with age, I don't want to recycle a guitar every five years when I know it will sound better when it's 10, 15 20 years old. I'm 60, but if I was 30 I would want a guitar(s) that I could grow old with, not have to periodically trade when the electronics are outdated. As an aside I wonder how that will play out with all those Taylors when the current ES is outdated?

So, I think I am one of the bigger Martin geeks on this forum and the Performing Artists haven't blown me away, yet. My GC has an OM version that I'm going to chek out but I am leaning more towards the new Aura pedal and guitar with UST for my next stage rig, and that would make any guitar available just by adding a pickup, food for thought!

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)
Old 07-05-2010, 08:57 AM

still don't know how people decide to buy one of these...

if people want a taylor sound, they get a Taylor, if they want a Martin sound, they get a D28 or something.. what are people looking for when they get this?

Not to mention it's the price of an 814? hmmm it'll be interesting to find out...

Was just too "middle of the road" for me
Old 07-05-2010, 08:59 AM

I think that's th point; they look similar to a Taylor but sound BETTER.
Old 07-05-2010, 09:17 AM

I've played one at GC. Decent sounding guitar. Sound like a Taylor? I don't know. Does anyone know? It's all a matter of opinion. Everyone likes to be part of a crowd. I can't understand why anyone would want a Martin that sounds like a Taylor, or a Gibson, or a Breedlove, etc. If you want a Gibby or a Taylor, then you should buy one. None of it amounts to anything. You buy what you can afford and what you like.. Usually the "afford" part determines your choice. For me, Taylors are like the pristene and proper girls you take home to meet mom and dad. Martins and Gibsons are the girls you take to the bars....I've always liked a good ho.

http://www.family-friendly-music.com/

The Missouripicker's YouTube Channel
URL:http://www.youtube.com/user/TheMissouripicker

Gibson J100 Walnut, Gibson Hummingbird, Gibson Dove, Gibson J45TV, Gibson AJ RW, Gibson AJ Koa, Gibson Southern Jumbo, Gibson J15, Martin HD28, Alvarez MFA66SHB and many other guitars, banjos, mandolins, dobros, dulcimers, and strays.
Old 07-05-2010, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hann View Post

if people want a taylor sound, they get a Taylor, if they want a Martin sound, they get a D28 or something.. what are people looking for when they get this?

Not to mention it's the price of an 814? hmmm it'll be interesting to find out...

I love Martins as well, but it didn't have the sound that I typically associate with Martin guitars. It sounded fairly polished and balanced, almost Taylor-esque but without the super fast playability.
Old 07-05-2010, 09:53 AM

Played a couple, 1 at GC and 1 at Mc Cabe's. Sounds good and plays good and kinda brings Martin out of the box. Doesn't do anything that any modern gc in it's spec. range won't do but a good start for Martin regardless.
Old 07-05-2010, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hann View Post

The Performing Artists series does borrow from the Taylor school....it does sound like a Martin, however. This will appeal to the player who likes the feel, look and user friendly electronics of the Taylor, but prefers the "sweeter" sound of a Martin.
Old 07-05-2010, 10:17 AM

din even know there was such a group of people!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion